Your tree will be more merry and bright when you decorate with these Mod Podge & Fabric Ornaments. I’m a big fan of red and white at Christmas, but if you’re not, you can easily make these ornaments your own. Blue & white, pink & aqua, silver & gold, even leopard print will be beautiful. (I’ve noticed black for Christmas this year – have you?) The Mod Podge seals them and adds a shine that will glisten in the lights. These ornaments are an easy DIY, which means they’re a great gift idea, too.
To make a Mod Podge & Fabric Ornament, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 4” ball
- Fabric, ¼ yd. or fat quarter for each ornament
- Ribbon, silver metallic, 1/8” x 12”
- Mod Podge, gloss finish
- Thick, white craft glue
- Tools needed: Scissors; wooden skewers; stiff bristle paintbrush
To make a Mod Podge & Fabric Ornament:
- Using the pattern, cut six segments from your fabric.
- Insert a wooden skewer into a ball of STYROFOAM Brand Foam. Use the skewer as your handle, and spread a thin, even layer of glue on the ball.
- Spread a thin, even layer of glue on the back of a fabric segment. Position the fabric on the ball, lining up one of the points with the wooden skewer. Carefully smooth out the fabric with your fingertips, and clip fabric along the edges so the fabric lays smooth. Hint: If possible, use the design in the fabric to help camouflage the snips in the fabric.
- Repeat Step 3, slightly overlapping the fabric pieces, till the ball is covered. Let dry.
- Brush on several thin coats of Mod Podge, letting dry between coats.
- Remove skewer. Knot together the ends of a 12” length of ribbon. Squeeze a dab of glue into the hole left by the skewer, and then push the knot down into the hole. Let glue dry.
- Optional: Add a small ribbon bow.
While you have your fabric scraps in front of you, here’s another ornament to DIY — Peppermint Stripe Fabric Ornament. Use whatever you like in your stash, and make it your own.
If you’ve not seen our video “5 Ornaments in 5 Minutes”, take a peek. In just five minutes, Candie Cooper shows you five favorite ornaments to DIY.
I hope you love the Fabric & Mod Podge Ornaments as much as I do. What color fabrics would you use to make them?
I can’t wait to share another red & white creation on Friday – a Candy Cane Snowman! You don’t want to miss this cutie! See you Friday!