I am smitten with the Folk Art Faux Concrete Finish from Plaid! These Faux Concrete Eggs look amazingly real, but there’s no messy concrete involved! I am not a painter, and if I can successfully paint on this concrete faux finish, you can, too. Even the color blocked accents are easy enough. If you’re looking for a fresh take on Easter eggs, check out the tutorial below. You might even be tempted to make a few Faux Concrete Eggs to display year round! (Plaid and I have partnered on a giveaway, too, so you can recreate today’s Faux Concrete Eggs and the Fabric Decoupage Eggs from Tuesday.)
To make Faux Concrete Eggs, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- 5” eggs, or other size of your choice
- Block, cube or other scrap piece
- Folk Art Faux Concrete Finish
- Acrylic craft paints in green, blue and pink (I used Folk Art)
- Mod Podge
- Tools needed: Painter’s tape; wood skewers; stiff bristle paintbrush
To make Faux Concrete Eggs:
1. Insert a skewer in the wide end of each egg and use it as a handle.
2. Brush on a coat of Mod Podge and let dry.
3. If you’re going to color block your eggs, tape off your design with painter’s tape. Be sure the edges are secure and sealed.
4. Following the instructions on the package, brush on the base coat of the concrete finish. Before it dries, dab on and blend the darker top coat. Let dry.
5. Remove the painter’s tape, and brush on acrylic craft paint in the unmasked areas.
These eggs were a lot of fun to make. I felt like I learned a new technique, and an easy shortcut to creating a trendy look. In fact, when I attended Creativation in January, I shared with the Plaid Crafts team some of the projects I’ve made with the faux finish, and we planned a giveaway for Crafts ‘n Coffee readers! With today’s giveaway, you’ll be able to make your own Faux Concrete Eggs, and you’ll be well on your way to making the Fabric Decoupage Eggs I shared earlier this week, too.
Here’s what in our Spring Craft Giveaway:
- Folk Art Painted Finishes kit in Concrete
- Folk Art acrylic paints in Podge Pink, Jamaican Sea, and Lime Green
- Mod Podge, 8-oz. jar
- A three-pack of Folk Art Shortie brushes
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam: Three 5” and six 4” eggs
- And a 10-oz. chocolate bunny (yummy)!
I’m giving away two prize packages for the Spring Craft Giveaway! For your chance to win one of the two prize packages, please leave a comment below and tell me how you are decorating eggs this season. Leave your comment before midnight on Monday, March 27 and I’ll announce the winner on Tuesday, March 28. I can’t wait to hear how you’re decorating your eggs!
(P.S. Plaid Crafts generously provided the product for this giveaway, however, they did not sponsor this post. I shared these Faux Concrete Eggs because I really love this faux finish.)