A Peppermint, Teddy Bear Ornament to DIY

I have another peppermint-theme Christmas craft today. This Peppermint Teddy Bear Ornament is a cutie, and he will look adorable on the Christmas tree. Kids will love this sweet, Peppermint Teddy Bear Ornament, but they will need some help with the DIY. If you are crafting with kids, be sure you cut the foam for them. If you’d like to see more red, & white, peppermint theme Christmas crafts, be sure to take a peek at the roundup I shared last week.

DIY Peppermint Teddy Bear Ornament

Peppermint Teddy Bear Ornament by Kathleen George

To make a Peppermint Teddy Bear Ornament, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
    • Balls, one 2″ and six 1-1/2″
    • Disc, 4″ x 1″
  • Acrylic craft paint in red
  • Grosgrain ribbon, red & white striped, ½” x 18”
  • Twist ties in red/white, two (or substitute 1/8” wide ribbon)
  • Half-round beads in black, 5mm, two
  • Clear cellophane
  • Pink chalk or cosmetic blush
  • Low-temp glue gun
  • Thick, white craft glue
  • Tools needed: Scissors; serrated knife* and old candle or bar of soap; sharp pencil; ruler; wood skewer; toothpicks; small round and liner paintbrushes

*If crafting with children, use a plastic knife.

To make a Peppermint Teddy Bear Ornament:

1. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut thin slices from the bottom and front of the 2″ foam ball (head).

2. Cut two, 1-1/2″ foam balls in half. Twist one half-ball (muzzle) against the flat front of the head, creating a snug joint. Glue muzzle to head.

3. Ears: Cut 1/3 from the bottom of two of the half balls. Glue ears to head with rounded sides facing the back. Save remaining half ball for another project.

4. Cut a thin slice from one side on each of the four remaining 1-1/2″ foam balls. These will be the arms and legs.

5. Using a sharp pencil, lightly score a peppermint stripe pattern on the front and back of the 4” foam disc. Paint alternating stripes red, and let dry. Turn disc over and paint the reverse side.

6. Insert skewers into the arms and legs and use the skewers as a handle. Paint each ball red, and let dry.

7. Paint a red, half-circle on the front of each ear. Using the liner brush, print nose and mouth on the bear’s face.

8. Wrap the peppermint disc in a square of cellophane; secure the ends with twist ties or 1/8” ribbon.

9. Cut three toothpicks in half. Push one half-toothpick into the cut side of each arm and leg and one into the bottom of the head, leaving 1/2″ of each toothpick exposed. Apply glue to end of each toothpick and push into peppermint disc. Refer to the photo for placement.

10. Glue beads to head for eyes. Blush cheeks with chalk using small brush.

11. Knot together ends of an 8″ length of ribbon. Glue knot to top of head.

12. Tie remaining ribbon into bow and glue to neck.

DIY Peppermint Teddy Bear Ornament

If kids want to make their own, be sure to help with cutting the foam!

How are your Christmas plans coming along? Is your tree up and decorated, gifts wrapped and cookies baked? Or are you like me and wondering when it will all get done? (I have four batches of cookie dough in the fridge, but not one cookie baked . . .)

I’ll have another easy ornament for the kids to DIY on Friday, so I’ll see you then!

This entry was posted in Christmas Ornaments, Craft Tutorial and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to A Peppermint, Teddy Bear Ornament to DIY

1. What a Christmas cutie! Everyone adores a teddy bear. Thank you for sharing!

You can’t look at him and not smile, can you? Teddy bears and Christmas seem made for each other! So glad you stopped in today, Angie. Happy crafting! Sharon

2. Anything peppermint is awesome and if you add a cute teddy bear then it is totally awesome! I purchased all the stuff I need to make cookies and am just waiting for a day when Jenna and I have a few calm minutes to mix them up and cut then bake em! TFS!

Mmmm, Christmas cookies! What kind are you making? Sounds like a lot of fun. Happy Christmas cookie baking, Barb! Sharon

• Chocolate mint chocolate chip with mint buttercream and crushed Andes mints on top and regular sugar cookies with peppermint buttercream and sugar cookies with crushed candy canes inside and on top of the peppermint buttercream! Notice the peppermint theme! We all love it and I go peppermint cookie crazy for the holidays! We even have peppermint whip cream for our chocolate mint cream pie and peppermint hot cocoa! LOL At least we all have nice smelling breathe at the end of the day!👼👼👼👼

You’re making my mouth water! It all sounds so good! Peppermint buttercream frosting? I’ve never had it and now I want some! Yummy!

3. Amy Pinion says:

This is totally adorable! It combines my two favorite things – teddy bears and peppermint!

4. Deb Kaste says:

So very cute! Love the little peppermint bear!

Thank you! I think he would look darling on the tree, with his sweet face and bright, red & white peppermint. Happy Christmas crafting to you! Sharon

OMG cute enough to eat! I have my tree up and most of my presents wrapped. I’m also attempting to make my own ugly Christmas sweater. How about an ugly sweater ornament? LOL

LOL! What fun — I’m sure you’ll have a very creative and very ugly sweater when you’re done! I shared Sweater Ornaments once, but they’re way too pretty. It sounds like you’re on top of the season, you go! I did wrap a few presents last night, so there’s progress. Happy ugly sweater crafting, Katiria! Sharon

Really cute idea -thanks!

7. Lee says:

This is SO cute and creative! 💖 and perfect for the holiday✨

Awww, thank you! Teddy bears + peppermint is a pretty sweet combination! I hope you find the time for a little Christmas DIY this season. Happy crafting! Sharon

8. LUV ALL of the crafts, but the first
    Sweet Peppermint Bear is my
    favorite. If I don’t have time this
    year, I’ll finish for next year.
    THX😊 Kathryn

🙂 There’s always next year! I’m glad this sweet bear made your list! Let us know how your Peppermint Bear turns out. Happy crafting! Sharon