December 1? It’s candy cane season, and it’s time to share this DIY Candy Cane Wreath. Does anything say Christmas more than a Candy Cane Wreath? I love red and white at Christmas time, but I was still surprised by the number of peppermint Christmas crafts I’ve shared in the past. Be sure to take a peek at the red & white Christmas crafts below, from ornaments to wreaths and snowmen.
To make a Candy Cane Wreath, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- 12” half-round wreath
- 22, 1” balls
- 1” sheet or other scrap piece
- Miniature candy canes, 150 – 160
- Acrylic craft paint in red
- Glitter paint in red
- Ribbon, red with wired edges, 2” x 18”
- Chenille stem
- Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; toothpicks; stiff bristle paintbrush; knippers
To make a Candy Cane Wreath:
1. Using low-temp glue gun, glue candy canes to wreath. Overlap candy canes and glue on in different directions to create a random effect. Continue till wreath is covered.
2. Insert and glue a toothpick in each 1” foam ball. Paint balls red. Insert toothpicks into a sheet or scrap piece of STYROFOAM Brand Foam to hold the balls upright while paint dries. Paint balls with red glitter paint, and insert the toothpicks in to the foam sheet or other scrap piece while glue dries.
3. Arrange balls on wreath. When you like the arrangement, squeeze glue on ends of toothpicks and bottom of balls, and insert toothpicks into the wreath. Save one red ball for the bow.
4. Tie a bow in 2” wired ribbon. Glue bow to wreath, and glue a red ball to center of bow.
5. Twist together ends of a 4” length of chenille stem. Insert and glue into the back of the wreath for a hanger.
Here are a few more Christmas crafts with a red & white, peppermint theme.
Is anyone decorating with red and white this year? I’ve also noted a trend toward bright, non-traditional Christmas colors, and maybe that’s more your style? (This Candy Cane Wreath could be made with rainbow striped candy canes, too.) I’d love to know how you’re decorating this year.