Happy day-after Thanksgiving! I hope you enjoyed piles of turkey and pie and feasted with family and friends. And I hope today finds you at home, ready to craft, instead of battling the crowds at the store. Today’s DIY Emoji Ornaments are a super-fun and fast craft for kids and adults. While everyone is gathered for the weekend, pull out the paints and the balls of STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam and make colorful Emoji Ornaments!
To make Emoji Ornaments, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 3” balls; scrap piece
- Flexible craft foam sheets (foamies) in black, red and white
- Acrylic craft paint in yellow
- Silver cord, 9” length for each ornament
- Thick, white craft glue
- Tools needed: Scissors; wood skewers; stiff bristle paintbrush; hole punch
To make Emoji Ornaments:
1. Insert a skewer into a 3” foam ball, and use it as your handle. Paint the ball yellow and let dry. (Hint: insert the skewer into a scrap piece of STYROFOAM Brand Foam to hold the ball upright while the paint dries.)
2. Knot together the ends of a 9” length of silver cord. Insert and glue the knot into the hole left by the skewer.
3. Decide which expression you’d like for your ornament.
- Punch out eyes from the black foamie with the hole punch.
- Cut out a half circle for a wide grin.
- Add teeth with a 1-1/2” x ¼” strip cut from a white foamie.
- Cut a tongue from the red foamie.
- The smiling face with closed eyes uses a 1/8” strip of black foamie for the mouth and eyes.
4. Refer to the photo and glue your features in place. To make the closed eyes and curved mouth, bend the 1/8” strip to create the mouth and eyes and glue in place.
How was your Thanksgiving? I don’t think I’ll eat for a week! Do you have craft plans for this weekend?