DIY a sweet and simple, Snowman Yarn Wreath

Here’s how my DIY Snowman Yarn Wreath came to be. I had an idea to create a miniature scene nestled in a wreath, and settled on a mini snowman in a snowy forest. I’ve been crafting a lot with yarn, so I decided that my cozy snowman scene would be at home in a yarn wreath. I needed a deep wreath to build my scene, and the 2″ thick wreath was perfect. Once I had these details decided, my Snowman Yarn Wreath came together fast. I really love this wreath, and I hope you do, too!

DIY Snowman Yarn Wreath

DIY Snowman Yarn Wreath

It’s a magical, miniature world inside this wreath!

To make a Snowman Yarn Wreath, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
    • 14” x 2” wreath
    • One each 1-1/2”, 2” and 2-1/2” balls
  • Yarn:
    • Various white and cream – I used six different kinds
    • Bright pink, green and blue
  • Wired twine
  • Acrylic craft paint in orange
  • Seed beads in black, seven (eyes & mouth)
  • Fleece, small scrap
  • Bottlebrush trees, two green and one pink
  • Crystal glitter
  • Powdered blush
  • Mod Podge
  • Thick, white craft glue
  • Tools needed: Scissors; straight pins; toothpicks; paintbrush; permanent marker in black

To make a Snowman Yarn Wreath:

1. Divide the wreath into 12 equal section, and mark the sections with pins.

2. Wrap each section in a white or cream yarn, leaving a small portion unwrapped between each section. Overwrap the yarn as needed to cover.

3. Fill in the open portions between each section with the bright yarns.

4. Build the snowman:

• Twist together the three balls, forming a tight fit.
  • Cut a toothpick in half, and pick and glue the balls together.
  • Insert a toothpick in the bottom of the snowman and use it as a handle.
  • Brush Mod Podge on the snowman, and while wet, sprinkle with crystal glitter. Let dry.
  • Tie a small scrap of 5/8” wide fleece around snowman’s neck. Fringe the ends of the scarf.
DIY Snowman Yarn Wreath

This little snowman could also hold a tiny package or bird, a small plastic snowflake, a faux candy, or any other miniature you’d like.

5. Make snowman’s face:

• Paint the tip of a toothpick orange. When dry, break off tip, dip end in glue and insert in snowman’s face for nose.
  • Lightly press two beads into face for eyes. Remove, add a dab of glue, and place eyes back in indentations.
  • Thread seed beads onto straight pins and pin on for snowman’s smile. Color heads of pins with a black, permanent marker.
  • Lightly blush cheeks.

6. For each arm, fold an 8” length of wired twine in half, and form a Y at the fold for hands. Twist twine together. Insert and glue arms in each side of snowman’s body.

7. Pick and glue snowman into the cradle of the wreath. Remove the two green, bottlebrush trees from their wood stands, and pick and glue the trees next to the snowman. Glue the small pink bottlebrush tree into the snowman’s hands.

DIY Snowman Yarn Wreath

I am wondering if I should pin a few snowflake sequins on the wreath? What do you think?

DIY Snowman Yarn Wreath

Another idea I had was to build a little village in the crook of the wreath, but I’m glad I decided on the snowman.

There’s more to this story . . . I talked with Debra Quartermain about adding to this little scene, and she made one of her irresistible snowmen to coordinate with the wreath. Debra will share her snowman later this week! I’ll see you then!

Happy crafting.

This entry was posted in Christmas Wreaths, Craft Tutorial, Snowmen, Wintertime Crafts, Wreaths and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to DIY a sweet and simple, Snowman Yarn Wreath

Clean, classy style I love it! I need more snowmen to get me in the Christmas spirit!

I know you won’t be seeing snow any time soon, and yes, you need a dose of holiday cheer. Plus this wreath (and Debra’s snowmen) are all easy enough to DIY. Your daughter would love them! Thanks so much, Katiria. Happy crafting! Sharon

2. Aparna says:

This is sooo very cute!! I’m definitely going to try making this 🙂 Thanks for sharing 🙂

3. Brenda says:

So cute. You are so talented. I also love the towel hanging on the side of your snowman wreath. It has rows of ruffles. Love to make one like this.

Love the colors and happy snowman scene in the wreath. More great winter decor!!

Thank you. You could always add another snowman or two to your winter scene. Or even make a few extra snowmen to hang on the Christmas tree . . . Happy crafting! Sharon

5. Isn’t this just too precious! It is perfect for all the winter months, not just December. How fun to make and so easy too. I am thinking it should be an inside wreath as I do not think it is weather resistent. Thank you for sharing, Sharon!

I think you’re right — this is better displayed indoors. Than you! I hope you’ll give this wreath a try, Angie. See you Friday, and happy crafting! Sharon

6. PS says:

So cute and lovely!! Adorable!!

Oh I certainly love this wreath – you did a great job.

Thank you! It was a fun wreath to DIY and you just have to smile when making snowmen. How’s the weather where you are, Anne? Happy crafting! Sharon

8. Debbie Kaste says:

This is sooo cute! Can’t wait to see Debra’s other creation. She is so talented.

9. This is just too adorable for words! I love the little scene that is part of the wreath.
    Update on Jenna: when we took her to get a real cast put on yesterday they did X-rays and discovered that the pins had moved. We find out by tomorrow if she is going to have to have another surgery tp place more pins. If she does have another surgery she will be in the hospital for 3-5 days in traction. My heart is breaking for her! 😓😥😥😥

Oh no! I hope Jenna receives good news about her pins! I know she wants to be in school for all of the Halloween fun next week (and to craft with grandma)! What is her trick-or-treat costume? Let us know how it goes. xo, Sharon

• Katiria says:

How did it go with Jenna? Hope she doesn’t need surgery.