Don’t miss Debra’s darling, DIY Sock Snowman & Snowballs

I can see you melting already over Debra Quartermain’s latest DIY Sock Snowman & Snowballs. Nobody makes sweeter snowmen than Debra. And not only is this Sock Snowman & Snowballs simply adorable, it’s simple to make, too. If you can cut a sock and squeeze a glue bottle, you can make your own Sock Snowman & Snowballs. Don’t believe me? Read through the tutorial below and then tell me what you think. (If you’d like to know more about Debra and her magical world, check out my visit to the Quartermain House B&B.)

DIY Sock Snowman

Sock Snowman & Snowballs by Debra Quartermain

To make a Sock Snowman & Snowballs, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
    • One each 2-1/2”, 3” and 4″ balls
    • Two, 1” balls
  • Adult tube socks in white, one pair
  • Adult patterned socks, one pair
  • Buttons, 1” in pink, four
  • Quilt pins, two black
  • Brads: one ¼” pink; five ½” pink polka dot
  • Floss, 1/4 yd in white
  • Skewer, one 12”
  • Quilt pins, two black
  • Brush-on blush or pink chalk
  • Fabric glue
  • Low-temp glue gun
  • Tools needed: Scissors; straight pins; pencil; ruler

To make a Sock Snowman & Snowballs:

1. Build the Snowman body:

• Flatten one side of the 4” foam ball on a tabletop, so the ball will stand and not roll.
  • Insert the skewer through all three balls in order of size: 4”, 3”, and 2-½”.
  • Squeeze glue between the balls, and then press balls together firmly.
  • Cut off excess skewer.
  • Let glue dry.

2. Stretch the tube sock over the snowman body, starting with the bottom. Stretch the sock up around the head ball. Cut off the excess sock, leaving an extra inch all around. Stretch and glue extra sock to the top of the head; if needed, use straight pins to help hold the sock in place.

3. Cut a 3-½” piece from cuff end of one sock. Cut in half. Roll each piece into a tube for arms, and glue to secure. Set aside.

4. Cut the following pieces from the patterned sock:

• Hat – 5” length, measured from the cuff down.
  • Sweater – 5” length, cut from your favorite patterned area.
  • Mittens – 2” length, measured from the cuff down on the second sock.

5. Assemble hat:

• Turn cuff piece wrong side out.
  • Tightly gather cut end, and tie off with a piece of floss.
  • Turn right side out.
  • Glue a pink button to top of hat.
DIY Sock Snowman

His hat is simply made from the cuff on a sock.

6. Fold under both ends of the sweater piece, and glue in place. Stretch sweater over snowman’s body and position on the middle ball. Roll down top to form a cuff around the snowman’s neck.

DIY Sock Snowman

Be sure to choose a cute sock for his sweater.

7. Glue hat to head.

8. Add snowman’s face:

• Dip quilt pins in small dab of glue, and insert for eyes.
  • Dip pink brad in small amount of glue and insert for nose.
  • Blush cheeks.

9. Cut mitten piece in half. Fold each piece in half, right sides together, and glue edges together. Turn right side out and slip a mitten over the end of each arm and glue in place. Glue arms to either side of snowman’s body.

10. Make the snowballs:

• Cut 2” from toe of second tube sock, and cut in half.
  • Stretch each half over a 1” ball to make a snowball. Glue in place, trimming away excess sock.
  • Glue snowballs in arm.
  1. Glue three buttons down snowman’s front. Glue a polka dot brad in center of each button, and two more brads to hat.
DIY Sock Snowman

He looks too sweet to pelt anyone with snowballs!

This Sweet Sock Snowman is another one of Debra’s creations.

DIY Sock Snowman

Sweet, Sock Snowman by Debra Quartermain

When shopping for the socks, throw in an extra pair to make this Snowman Swag.

DIY Snowman Swag

Snowman Swag by Kathleen George.

So, you could totally make Debra’s Sock Snowman & Snowballs, right?

This entry was posted in Christmas Crafts, Craft Tutorial, Fabric Craft, Gift Ideas, Snowmen, Wintertime Crafts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Don’t miss Debra’s darling, DIY Sock Snowman & Snowballs

Good timing, it will be in the 30s this week!! Snowmen inside if not out…

Brrr! Sounds like the perfect time for snowman crafting! Happy crafting! Sharon

• Katiria says:

ooo the 30’s. I’m so jealous! South Florida’s “cold front” will be 57 overnight then 71 in the day. I need to make this snowman asap if I’m gonna get in the Christmas spirit.

Yes, a this little Sock Snowman will cool you off! However, you’ll have the last laugh when we’re buried in the snow and it’s zero outside! Thanks for stopping in and happy crafting! Sharon

2. Anyone on my Christmas list would enjoy getting these little cuties for a gift! I like the added details that make it individualized. Thank you for sharing!

Yes! These would make very sweet, handmade gifts! You could absolutely personalize them for the recipients, what a beautiful idea. Thank you, Angie. Craft on! Sharon

3. This little snowman ⛄️ is too adorable for words! I am going to show Jenna when she gets home and she is going to love it! I am going to see if I can get the stuff to make them before she gets back and we can make them right away! Thanks for another awesome project! You keep us busy so we don’t have time to get in trouble! LOL have a great weekend!

🙂 I hope you two were able to DIY your own sweet snowman! If so, you’ll have to let us know how it turned out, and send a photo. I hope Jenna is feeling better everyday! Happy crafting. Sharon

4. AB-SO-BLOOMIN FANTASTIC!
    Ohhh I just love these. I can see myself crafting with my Grandson, making these.

Thank you so much for the share and tutorial.
    Bless your heart.
    ~ Cobs. x

Awesome idea! I bet he’d love to help out and build a snowman with you! You’d make happy memories, too. Thanks for stopping in today. Happy crafting! Sharon

So cute and yes it is an easy project – love the pink snowlady!

Don’t you love it when something so easy is also so adorable? Debra is amazing! I don’t know if I can pick a favorite! Thanks for stopping in. Happy crafting! Sharon

Ah, looking at these snowman reminds me winter is knocking at our back door. Oh, I am going to attempt these snowmen. Can’t wait to try them. 🙂 I will share when I get them done.

Have you seen snow yet? I had a heavy frost on the car this a.m., but the days have been unseasonably warm. I’m happy to hear that you’re going to try these snowmen, and I can’t wait to see them! Please do send the photos! Happy crafting, Lisa!

7. JULES says:

The snowmen are darling!! TFS

Thank you! I’m so glad you like these cuties. I can’t take credit for them, and I’m as happy as you are that other share their crafts with us! Happy crafting!