More farmhouse décor: Easy plaid accents to DIY tonight!

Sometimes, the crafts I make are so easy, I’m almost embarrassed to share them. Like these DIY Plaid Flannel Cones. The tutorial is just two steps, and you could probably make these just by looking at them. I’m o.k. with easy, and I really like these Plaid Flannel Cones. They look great when paired with my Farmhouse-Style Plaid Winter Wreath. Crafts don’t have to be rocket science, right?

DIY Plaid Flannel Cones

You know how to make these just by looking at the picture, right?

To make Plaid Flannel Cones, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 9” and 6” cones, or other sizes of your choice
  • Plaid flannel, ¼ yd. is enough for both cones
  • Thick, white craft glue
  • Tools needed: Scissors; ruler; straight pins; optional: rotary cutter and matt

To make Plaid Flannel Cones:

1. Cut flannel into 1-1/4” wide strips.

2. Pin and glue one strip along the bottom edge of the cone. Begin twisting the strip. Start to wrap the cone with the twisted strip, pinning and gluing the strip in place. Continue twisting the fabric strip, and wrapping the cone till it’s covered. Once glue dries, remove the pins.

DIY Plaid Flannel Cones

Twist your flannel strip as you wrap the cone.

DIY Plaid Flannel Cones

Easy enough you can make a forest of Plaid Cones!

I had a lot of plaid flannel leftover after making my Farmhouse-Style Plaid Winter Wreath, and that’s what inspired me to make the cones.

DIY Farmhouse-Style Wreath

Farmhouse-Style Plaid Winter Wreath

Here’s another idea for leftover plaid fabric. Patty Schaffer made these Mad for Plaid Ornaments with old shirts, but you could use your fabric scraps as well.

DIY plaid ornaments

I still have extra plaid flannel in my stash. What would you make with the leftover fabric?

This entry was posted in Christmas Topiaries, Craft Tutorial, Fabric Craft and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to More farmhouse décor: Easy plaid accents to DIY tonight!

1. vrmm26 says:

Love all these plaid fabric projects. You make me anxious to the holiday season, even though I’m not ready for it to be here. Love the felt-plaid wreath! Visiting from Tip Junkie.

2. Poor Jenna! Prayers for her healing! ❤

You are making me feel nostalgic! Plaid reminds me of the 1970's families all wearing matching plaid outfits from the Sears catalog like matching PJs, nice outfits to go to church, and more.

Red plaid is a lovely color for the Christmas and winter seasons. It is very festive!

You are so sweet, Angie. I’m glad Barb will keep us all posted on Jenna’s progress. I think plaid is timeless, don’t you? At least I always like to see it and it always says “cozy.” Happy crafting! Sharon

Those cones are a great accompaniment to the farmhouse wreath. Nice to see these fall/winter crafts for a decor update!!

So glad you like these cozy cones, thank you! There are years when it’s already snowing by now, but not this year. How about you? Have you seen snow yet? Happy crafting! Sharon

4. Love these cool trees! I am thinking they would look cool with silk fabrics or maybe even character fabrics if you could get them to land so that you can tell who the characters are.
    Unfortunately, Jenna won’t be doing a lot of creating for the next several weeks or longer. On Thursday she fell off the monkey 🐒 bars at school and broke the bone right above her elbow and the elbow socket. We had to rush her to the ER and she had emergency surgery to place pins in it. Right now she is in a splint so that the swelling can go down, in about two weeks she should be getting a regular cast on. They told us that it may take up to 2 years for her to fully recover.
    She has been such a trooper through it all and we keep telling how brave she is and that we are SO proud of her.
    I will keep you posted on how she is doing. TFS!

OH NO! I am so sorry to hear about Jenna’s accident, that poor kid! I hope the healing is fast and pain-free! How’s she doing today? Give her a hug from all of us here at Crafts ‘n Coffee, and let her know we’re thinking of her. Do keep us updated! Thank you, Barb! XO, Sharon

5. PS says:

This looks so pretty…

Lover these projects – I have a real weakness for plaid – especially red plaid.

🙂 I do, too! And when the red plaid is a cozy flannel, it’s irresistible! I hope you get a chance to DIY these and add them to your holiday decor! Thanks so much for stopping in. Happy crafting! Sharon