Grab a cup of cocoa and check out this Farmhouse-Style Plaid Wreath

DIY this season-spanning, Farmhouse-Style Plaid Wreath today and enjoy its cozy warmth all winter long. This is a favorite technique for making a fabric wreath, but to give it a shabby style, I used fabric strips instead of fabric squares. All you’ll need to add to this yummy mix of natural & nubby quilt batting and cozy plaid flannel is a steaming cup of cocoa. And the only question I have for you is one marshmallow or two?

DIY Farmhouse style plaid wreath

The longer fabric strips give the wreath a more shabby appearance.

DIY Farmhouse-Style Plaid Wreath

Dress it up for Christmas, too.

To make a Rustic, Farmhouse-Style Plaid Wreath, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 14”
  • Natural quilt batting (I used Warm & Natural Needled Cotton Batting, which is carried at JoAnns)
  • Chenille stem
  • Low-temp glue gun or thick, white craft glue
  • Tools needed: Scissors; ruler; straight pins; chopstick, wood skewer, or other pointed tool; optional: rotary cutter and cutting matt

To make a Rustic, Farmhouse-Style Plaid Wreath:

1. Twist together the ends of a 4” length of chenille stem. Insert and glue in the back of the wreath for a hanger.

2. Cut a strip of quilt batting to cover the outside and inside edges of the wreath. Glue in place. If needed, add pins to hold the batting in place while the glue dries. (When I made the wreath, I finished the front of the wreath first, but I think it will be easier to cover the edges first.)

3. Cut 1-1/2” x 5” strips from the quilt batting and the plaid flannel. I didn’t count the total number of strips, but you’ll definitely need more batting strips than plaid flannel strips.

DIY Farmhouse Style Wreath

Glue strips of batting around the edges first, and then tuck the strips into the front of the wreath.

4. Place a strip of quilt batting on the wreath, and using the wood skewer, push the center of the strip into the wreath. Continue, till you have the wreath covered with strips of quilt batting.

DIY easy, shabby wreath

Now, add the plaid flannel strips.

5. Using the same technique, add as many plaid flannel strips as you like.

DIY farmhouse wreath

Doesn’t this wreath make you want to sit by the fire with a cup of cocoa?

Now, you know I had plaid flannel leftover, right?  I’ll show you later this week what I made with my leftover scraps.

This entry was posted in Christmas Wreaths, Craft Tutorial, Fabric Craft, Wintertime Crafts, Wreaths and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Grab a cup of cocoa and check out this Farmhouse-Style Plaid Wreath

Cream and plaid, a nice winter combo! Love the wreath with the mantle greens and ornaments – very cheery and festive!!

Thank you! It’s a season-spanning wreath, and you can dress it up for the holidays, and then keep it up all winter long. Easy enough to change the plaid flannel, too, and use a different color combo. Happy crafting! Sharon

2. Wow! This is so very cute. I will be an easy one to make with children or grandchildren. Thank you for sharing this one!

You’re always so sweet – thank you! ( Just love my readers!) I’m so happy to hear you’ll make this wreath with your littles – it’s easy enough and they might have fun picking out flannel with their favorite characters. Wouldn’t that be fun? Happy crafting! Sharon

Super cute. I will have to add this to my must make list!

😄 Thanks! Have you used this technique before? I bet you have!How’s the farmer’s market going? Are people already stocking up on Christmas items? Happy crafting, Lisa.

4. You could use Christmas fabric or any type of patterned fabric to alter this for any season. I think snowflakes or snowmen would be cute for an all winter wreath, leaves, apples or back to school type fabric for Fall, flowers, fairies, cute critters or pretty fruits would be great for Spring and Summer.
    Oh my, the ideas are just flowing now! I see another project being added to my list.
    You could make a set of four wreathed (one for each season) and give it as a gift! Thanks for the inspiration! Have a fun week!

So many fun ideas, Barb! Thanks for sharing your creative burst! This wreath is easy enough that it would be fun to make four wreaths. In fact, Jenna could pick out her favorite fabrics and make her own wreath. Have fun and happy crafting!

Cute and easy – just my style!

6. Brenda says:

Seems like an easy wreath to make so I believe I can do this one. Thanks for sharing.