Pom poms make me happy! They’re soft, playful and fun to make. Yes, I made 80+ pom poms to DIY my Pom Pom Wreath, but it didn’t feel like a chore. I worked on making the pom poms over a few days, and it was worth it – I love this Pom Pom Wreath. I’m not trying to rush into winter, so imagine this Pom Pom Wreath in fall colors, or black & orange for Halloween, or as a spirit wreath in the colors of your local sports team. I also discovered oodles of ways to make pom poms, and I’m linking up several tutorials you might find helpful.

DIY Pom Pom Wreath

To make a Pom Pom Wreath, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 12” wreath
  • Yarn in white, off white, cream and various textures (I used a white yarn, white fuzzy yarn, sparkly white yarn, and cream yarn)
  • Jingle bells with rusty finish, 3cm
  • Chenille stem
  • Thick, white craft glue or low-temp glue gun
  • Tools needed: Scissors; stiff cardboard or other tools to make pom poms*

*I used the Clover Pom-Pom Makers to make pom poms measuring 1-3/8”, 1-5/8”, 2-1/2” and 3-3/8” in dia. However, you don’t need special tools to make the pom poms. Check out the links below for more ways to make pom poms without any special tools.

To make a Pom Pom Wreath:

1. Add a hanger to the wreath: Twist together ends of a 4” chenille stem. Insert and glue in the back of the wreath.

2. Make your pom poms in assorted sizes and yarns. I used the Clover Pom Pom Maker and made pom poms measuring 1-3/8”, 1-5/8”, 2-1/2” and 3-3/8” in diameter. My wreath used 81 pompoms: 13 sparkly pompoms; 19 white pompoms; 27 fuzzy white pompoms; and 22 cream pompoms.

DIY Pom Pom Wreath

It’s like a pom pom explosion!

3. Arrange the pompoms around the outer edge and inner edge of the wreath first. Glue in place.

DIY Pom Pom Wreath

Arrange your pom poms around the outside and inside edges first.

4. Fill in the front of the wreath with pompoms. Arrange first, and then glue in place.

5. Glue six jingle bells to wreath.

DIY a Pom Pom wreath

Be sure to choose different yarns to add subtle color and texture to your wreath.

DIY Pom Pom Wreath

I thought about calling this wreath a Snowball Pom Pom Wreath.

I poked around on YouTube and and was amazed that there are so many ways to make pom poms. The easiest method uses no tools  at all and you simply wrap the yarn around your fingers — just follow this video to see how.

I remember using cardboard squares to make pom poms, and it’s easy enough. Surely you have a piece of cardboard around the house you can use, so watch this video and see how to make pom poms with a cardboard scrap.

This video also uses cardboard, cut in a template similar to a donut.

How about making a pom pom sandwich? This is a fun technique for making pom poms and it uses cardboard tubes.

And finally, I was amazed at this technique to quickly make multiple pom poms using a chair! This is one way to whip up what you need to make this Pom Pom Wreath!

While I was poking around online, I saw that Clover also has a pom pom-maker for heart-shape pom poms. How cute is that!? 🙂

What’s your favorite way to make pom poms?

This entry was posted in Christmas Wreaths, Craft Tutorial, Wintertime Crafts, Wreaths and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Craft a creamy, dreamy Pom Pom Wreath (and there are oodles of ways to make pom poms!)

1. Pingback: Make a Pom-Pom Wreath, Plus Tons of Ways to Make Them | It's Handmade

2. PS says:

OMG..THis is so cute…!!!and easy to make..!!!

🙂 Thank you! It was easy, the pom poms take some time, but they’re easy and fun to DIY. Do you have a favorite technique for making pom poms? Sharon

• PS says:

Yes, dear it is fun to DIY. I am using Forks, Sometimes cardboard cards to make pom poms. How about you? What technique do you prefer?

The fork technique was new to me, and I’ve used cardboard before. I used the pom pom makers from Clover for this wreath, and thought it made the process super easy.

• PS says:

Good to know, I should try it for my future projects. Thanks.

3. This is so cute! Honestly, I’d do the white and yellow pom poms with a mint or aqua flower. Then put it in a nursery…or my living room year round! You make it look so easy and I’m excited to try it!

LOVE this wreath – I have read about the chair method of making pom poms – just wonder how well it works. I always make mine the old way – wrap around card board, tie and cut!

Thank you! I’d never heard about using a chair to make pom poms, so that one was new to me. Looks like an easy way to make a slew of pom poms all at once, however. The cardboard method is tried & true! Happy crafting! Sharon

Ahhh, so cute! I can see doing this is white and light blue with bells and crocheted snowflakes

6. Oh my! I am not much of a Pom Pom fan but after seeing this and getting lost in Pom Pom YouTube videos that may be changing!
    I have tons and tons of yarn that is just waiting for a plan and I think the plan is here! This wreath is soft and elegant looking that I don’t think I can resist giving it a try!
    I won a Pom Pom Maker a while ago and it has been sitting there doing nothing until now!
    I remember making them as a kid and am looking forward to relearning how to make them! TFS!

I know! YouTube has endless ways to make pom poms! I think I know someone who would love to help you make a few pom poms . . . and lucky you that you won a pom pom maker. Have fun and happy crafting! Sharon

That wreath looks so soft and huggable. I use the cardboard cut out method when making pom poms

I’ve used that method, too, and it works great. But these pom pom makers from Clover are pretty fun, too. A crafter and her tools . . . Glad you like the wreath and I hope you get to make one, too, Katiria. Thanks for stopping in! Sharon