September 1 and there’s a chill in the air this morning. So, maybe it’s not so crazy that I’m sharing these cozy, Faux Mink Deco Spheres. Do you remember the Faux Mink Wreath I made? I couldn’t let the scraps go to waste, and so I made these easy, Faux Mink Deco Spheres to display with the wreath. I picked up a few more faux fur scraps to add contrast, and wow. The wreath and the deco spheres add instant warmth to a room! I know it’s still summer, but when the weather turns, this will be a fun ensemble to display. So, here’s how I made the Faux Mink Deco Spheres.
To make Faux Mink Deco Spheres, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 4” balls
- Faux fur, 1/8 yd per ball
- Tissue paper
- Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; rubber bands; pencil; straight pins
To make Faux Mink Deco Spheres:
1. Wrap three rubber bands around the ball of STYROFOAM Brand Foam, dividing the ball into six equal sections. Using a sharp pencil, score a line right next to the edge of each rubber band. Remove the rubber bands.
2. Place tissue paper over a section and trace along the scored line. This will be your pattern for the faux fur pieces.
3. Pin the pattern piece on the back side of the faux fur, and cut out the fabric. Hint: It’s easier and less “fur will fly” when you cut from the back of the faux fur.
4. Glue the fur piece to the foam ball. Repeat with five more sections. If needed, add a few pins to help hold the stiffer pieces in place; the fur will hide the pins. You might find that you have to shift and trim the sections as you go, and that’s o.k. The faux fur is very forgiving and the seams will probably not be visible.
I hope you’re all warm and safe, and enjoy this long holiday weekend. For those who aren’t so fortunate, and are dealing with the devastating hurricane, I am sending to you a virtual hug!
I also wanted to provide an update about Paulette, who lost all of her craft supplies in a house fire. Several of you generously offered to send supplies to her, and unfortunately, Paulette has not responded to the emails I’ve sent to her. If you’re out there Paulette, please contact me!
Stay safe, and happy crafting!