How to make elegant, No-Sew Silk Pumpkins

There’s a little back story to my DIY, No-Sew Silk Pumpkins. Originally, I wanted to make elegant, brocade pumpkins, but have you priced brocade fabric? Ouch! While searching for other options on etsy, I turned up a gorgeous selection of silk fabrics made from saris, and they were very affordable. Perfect! The colors and patterns are very rich, and these No-Sew Silk Pumpkins are one-of-a- kind. Better yet, you won’t believe how easy they are to make. I hope you’ll give them a try!

DIY No-Sew Silk Pumpkins

Note: These Silk Pumpkins first appeared in Craft Ideas magazine, which is no longer published. 😦

DIY No-Sew Silk Pumpkins

Yowza, I was so excited to see my pumpkins on the cover! And so sad when the magazine closed earlier this year . . .

To make No-Sew Silk Pumpkins, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 6” and 5” balls
  • Silk fabric: One fat quarter per pumpkin
  • Dried pumpkin stems
  • Spray paint in metallic gold
  • Thick, white craft glue or low-temp glue gun
  • Tools needed: Scissors; serrated knife; old candle or bar of soap; straight pins
DIY No-Sew Silk Pumpkins

It’s not necessary to paint your pumpkin stems gold, but I loved the extra “bling.”

To make No-Sew Silk Pumpkins:

1. Wax the serrated knife blade with an old candle or bar of soap. Cut a small slice from the top and bottom of each foam ball. Roll the cut edges on a tabletop and use your fingers to gently compress and round the edges to make a pumpkin shape. Carve a small, 1” – 1-1/2” wide hole at the top of the pumpkin to accommodate excess fabric.

Note: For a pumpkin shape that is squatter and less round, cut larger slices from the top and bottom of the foam ball.

2. Cut a fabric circle to fit around each ball and overlap at the top. A 20” circle will cover the 6” ball with fabric to spare.

3. Place a ball of STYROFOAM Brand Foam in the center of the corresponding fabric circle. Bring the edges of the fabric up to the top of the ball, and finger pleat as you go. As you continue to cover the ball, pin the pleats in place at the top of the ball. When the ball is covered, trim away excess fabric, so that the top is smooth. Glue the fabric in place.

4. Paint the pumpkin stems gold. Let dry.

5. Glue a stem to the top of each pumpkin.

DIY no-sew Silk Pumpkins

The colors are rich and deep, and perfect for fall.

And that’s it! I used my extra sari fabrics to make this Fall Succulent Wreath. The colors of the silk are perfect for fall!

DIY Fall Succulent Wreath

Use your extra fabrics and make a wreath to coordinate with the No-Sew Silk Pumpkins.

Ordering the fabrics from etsy was so easy. The fabrics shipped quickly, and every piece was beautiful. There’s still plenty of time to order your fabrics and make the pumpkins and the wreath. I just quickly searched etsy for silk sari fabrics, and found that the shop Glitz and Pieces sells four fat quarters for $9.00. There are other options, too.

Do you shop for craft supplies on etsy? Or other online stores? I’m curious to know how often you shop online for your craft supplies and if you have a favorite, online craft store?

Sneak peek

Sneak peek!

P.S. The last Tinsel Tuesday is next week, and here’s a sneak peek!

This entry was posted in Craft Tutorial, Fabric Craft, Fall Crafts, Thanksgiving Crafts and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to How to make elegant, No-Sew Silk Pumpkins

1. SO pretty! This actually looks like something I could do! And wreath at the end is gorg!

I shop at JoAnns and Michaels because they are closer to me. My Hobby Lobby store is too far to go to regularly. I’d have to make a special day trip for it. Does anyone remember RagShop? When I first started crafting it was my go-to store. I remember buying a million beads for friendship bracelets when I was a preteen LOL

I remember Rag Shops, though they didn’t have stores here. I believe they were mostly east coast and down your way. Piece Goods was another southern chain I would visit when I was down south — did you have Piece Goods in Florida? Hobby Lobby is a longer drive for me, too, so as much as I like Hobby Lobby, I don’t go there a lot. Glad you stopped in! Thanks, Katiria. xo, Sharon

Those pumpkins are gorgeous. Hate to consider them Fall decor, I would want them up all year!!

Thank you! And why not display them year round? You sure could! Or, cut the leftover scraps into strips, wind them around balls of STYROFOAM Brand Foam, and in no time at all, you’ll have beautiful deco spheres to display once fall has passed and the pumpkins are put away! Happy crafting! Sharon

4. Very pretty pumpkins! I like the matching wreath also. Autumn is just around the corner and it is time to think about fall crafting! Thank you, Sharon!

Thank you, Angie. Our evening have been quite cool, and even the daytime temperatures are cooler, maybe unseasonably so. It’s hard not to think of fall! We’re heading in to the craftiest time of the year! What are you working on right now? Sharon

5. Those are beautiful!!! and that wreath. I just love it!

6. These are breathtaking! I have always loved anything silk so this is right up my alley! Thanks for sharing this!
    I do almost all of my shopping online because it is hard for me to get around. Some of my favorite online shops are: scrapbook.com , consumercrafts.com , ecstasycrafts.com , simonsaysstamp.com and franticstamper.com .
    I have bought a few things on Etsy and was really surprised at how much I saved. For example the second set of 12 TH Distress Oxide inks cost me $25 less than the lowest online store price I could find and I bought a 36 pack of shimmery mica powders (think Pearl Ex or Perfect Pearls) and I paid less than I would have for 5 of the brand name mica powders! They have so many beautiful colors of mica powders that I plan to get a few more of the bulk packs because I love them so much! I just hope I can find the same Etsy shop again! LOL
    Hope you have a great weekend and check out some of these shops for great deals! See you Tuesday!

Thank you for sharing your online sources! It’s always good to shop around and what a treat when you find a deal/steal! Check your purchase history on etsy, which is under the “You” profile tab. You’ll find a list of your past orders, and you can locate the source of your mica powders. Happy crafting, Barb! Sharon

7. What a great idea. Never thought silk and pumpkin

🙂 It’s fun to use the unexpected, isn’t it? I love making pumpkins, and this is the first time I’ve made such an elegant version. What are you crafting for fall, Lisa? Sharon

8. PS says:

It’s so creative. Perfect for fall. Nice work Sharon..

Love these pumpkins and that fabric is beautiful. I never order craft supplies on line but it is an option I should consider. It seems like Michaels, JoAnns and Hobby Lobby are always out of popular items. I do love Hobby Lobby, though, and seem to have better luck shopping there but then it depends on the item. I am sure JoAnns would not have silk sari fabric!

Thank you! I love Hobby Lobby, too, and I think it’s also my favorite. JoAnns has silk and brocade fabric, but it’s pricey! The silk saris are beautiful, and these fat quarters so reasonable. If you’re tempted to try these pumpkins, I recommend ordering from etsy. Let me know how it goes. Happy crafting! Sharon