Tinsel Tuesday: Ballard Designs knock off – DIY Ornament Topiary

This Ballard Design knock off is going to save you some holiday cash, and bonus, it’s a really easy DIY. When I saw the Ornament Topiary in the Ballard catalog, I knew I could make a prettier one for a lot less than $79 (plus shipping!). I made my Ornament Topiary for less than $30, and I think the bright red ornaments are more festive. The craft stores already have buckets of ornaments available, so grab a coupon and pick up a few in your favorite colors and DIY this easy Christmas Ornament Topiary!

DIY Easy Ornament Topiary

DIY ornament topiary easy

Here’s the original from the Ballard Designs catalog. It’s $79 + shipping, yikes!

DIY Ornament Topiary easy

I decorated the pot with a plaid ribbon and snowflake decals.

To make an Ornament Topiary, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 8” ball
  • Tin pail or other container, approx. 8” dia opening (you could even use an elegant urn like Ballard Designs did)
  • Ornaments, 3” dia, 24 – 30 (I used 27; the number you’ll need will depend on the spacing)
  • Pine garland, faux
  • Optional: Ribbon to trim pail; snowflake decals; filler; sand or kitty litter
  • Low-temp glue gun
  • Tools needed: Scissors; knippers

To make an Ornament Topiary:

1. Remove the hangers from the ornaments.

2. Squeeze glue around the neck of the  ornament, and insert into the center top of the 8” ball. Insert and glue a ring of ornaments around the center ornament. Continue to fill in the foam ball, adding two more rows of ornaments.

DIY Ornament Topiary Easy

Start by inserting an ornament in the center top of the 8″ ball of STYROFOAM Brand Foam.

3. Clip sprigs from the pine garland, and insert between the ornaments to fill in any gaps.

4. Optional: Decorate the tin pail or other container with ribbon around the rim, and snowflake decals.

5. Place the ball in the pot. If needed, add filler such as shredded paper to the pot first, to lift up the ball. Or, for more stability, add weight to the pail by filling with sand or kitty litter.

DIY ornament topiary easy

If you’re worried about the stability of the topiary, fill the pail with sand or kitty litter.

You can make a pair of Ornament Topiaries for less than one from Ballard Designs — score! I wish I had made a pair and perhaps I can find more ornaments and make another.

DIY Ornament Topiary

While you’re at the craft store, pick up extra ornaments and make an Ornament Wreath, too.

DIY Ornament Wreath

Thursday is the last day to enter the Christmas in July giveaway. Be sure to enter!

It’s August 1 and we’re entering the most crafty time of the year! I am so excited about the line up I have planned for Crafts ‘n Coffee over the next few months. Let the fun begin!

See you Friday!

This entry was posted in Christmas Crafts, Christmas Topiaries, Craft Tutorial, Home Decor and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Tinsel Tuesday: Ballard Designs knock off – DIY Ornament Topiary

1. Aren’t these Christmas Topiaries, Wreathes, and Trees just beautiful! So easy to make and decorate during the summer months in preparation for the winter holidays. I have also made the wreathes and trees before. I added electric white Christmas tree lights to mine. It was a fun added feature. Thank you for sharing, Sharon!

I bet your Ornament projects were beautiful! Especially with the lights (wish I’d thought of adding lights!). Do you have photos? I’d love to see them! Thanks so much, Angie, and craft on! xo, Sharon

That is a great holiday centerpiece or mantle decor. Love the bright bulbs in a bed of green!!

Thank you! I chose the classic red & green, but you could use any color you like. Change up the pot, too — the urn Ballard Designs uses is certainly more elegant. Happy crafting! Sharon

3. Pat Lowder says:

Just helped how to down size my holiday decor to fit my new space

4. Pat Kichinko says:

Oh, I really like these! I especially love the idea of mixing matte and shiny ornaments!!

🙂 Thank you! There are almost endless ornament choices these days — so many colors & finishes are in the stores. What color would you use? Happy crafting! Sharon

5. wow, your topiary is sooo cute! Thanks for the tip!

What great decor. You could change up the foliage for different holidays or seasons.

Thank you, Lisa. The silver ornaments in the original design could definitely span the seasons, too. Lots of ways you could change it up! Great idea! Happy crafting! Sharon

7. Pam j yell says:

Love this idea,I think I would try to wind some tiny lights in it. So cute!

8. I absolutely love the ornament topiaries and wreaths. Every year I swear that THIS is the year that I make one of each but always seem to get sidetracked! Maybe this will be the year it happens! Who knows? TFS!

🙂 I hope this is the year, Barb. This topiary was super easy, and I wish I’d made two, one for either side of the fireplace. In fact, you can DIY two for less than the price of one ready made from Ballard Designs. Love that! Happy crafting! Sharon

These are great projects – thanks for sharing. Love Christmas projects and am looking forward to many more!

Thank you! The topiary was a fun one, and I love how it turned out. We are on the cusp of the Christmas crafting season, and I can’t wait to share more! So many fun ideas coming up soon . . . Happy crafting! Sharon