This Ballard Design knock off is going to save you some holiday cash, and bonus, it’s a really easy DIY. When I saw the Ornament Topiary in the Ballard catalog, I knew I could make a prettier one for a lot less than $79 (plus shipping!). I made my Ornament Topiary for less than $30, and I think the bright red ornaments are more festive. The craft stores already have buckets of ornaments available, so grab a coupon and pick up a few in your favorite colors and DIY this easy Christmas Ornament Topiary!
To make an Ornament Topiary, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 8” ball
- Tin pail or other container, approx. 8” dia opening (you could even use an elegant urn like Ballard Designs did)
- Ornaments, 3” dia, 24 – 30 (I used 27; the number you’ll need will depend on the spacing)
- Pine garland, faux
- Optional: Ribbon to trim pail; snowflake decals; filler; sand or kitty litter
- Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; knippers
To make an Ornament Topiary:
1. Remove the hangers from the ornaments.
2. Squeeze glue around the neck of the ornament, and insert into the center top of the 8” ball. Insert and glue a ring of ornaments around the center ornament. Continue to fill in the foam ball, adding two more rows of ornaments.
3. Clip sprigs from the pine garland, and insert between the ornaments to fill in any gaps.
4. Optional: Decorate the tin pail or other container with ribbon around the rim, and snowflake decals.
5. Place the ball in the pot. If needed, add filler such as shredded paper to the pot first, to lift up the ball. Or, for more stability, add weight to the pail by filling with sand or kitty litter.
You can make a pair of Ornament Topiaries for less than one from Ballard Designs — score! I wish I had made a pair and perhaps I can find more ornaments and make another.
While you’re at the craft store, pick up extra ornaments and make an Ornament Wreath, too.
Thursday is the last day to enter the Christmas in July giveaway. Be sure to enter!
It’s August 1 and we’re entering the most crafty time of the year! I am so excited about the line up I have planned for Crafts ‘n Coffee over the next few months. Let the fun begin!
See you Friday!