Thanks to Expo International, we’re celebrating Christmas in July this week. Donna Budzynski is back today with her adorable Snowman in a fancy party hat! (Did you see Donna’s Rustic Christmas Trees yesterday?) I’m a little intimidated by painting, but with Donna’s tutorial, I think I could paint this snowman’s cute face. I might even use birthday print cardstock and pompom trim and make his hat a birthday party hat. Be sure to check out the Christmas in July giveaway, too!
To make a Party Hat Snowman, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 6” ball
- Expo International Trim Pipa Eyelash Trim – Red
- Acrylic craft paint in black, white, pink, holly green, and canyon orange (Donna likes DecoArt)
- Papier mache pot
- Wood skewer
- Cardstock for hat
- Microbeads, clear*
- Thick, white craft glue
- Beacon 3-in-1 Adhesive
- Tools needed: Scissors; pencil with eraser; flat paintbrush; small round paintbrush; water/container
*Donna used clear microbeads from Martha Stewart. If you can’t find microbeads, substitute crystal glitter instead.
To make a Party Hat Snowman:
- Make a carrot nose: Cut the wood skewer to size and paint orange. Let dry.
2. Paint face onto the ball of STYROFOAM Brand Foam:
- Dip pencil eraser into black paint, and make a dot for eyes and mouth.
- Dip pencil eraser in pink paint and dab on cheeks.
- Draw line for eyebrows with small round paintbrush.
- Add a white dot to each eye and and a fine, white line in the mouth.
- Insert nose in face.
- Let paint dry.
3. Mix white craft glue with water so that it’s the consistency of paint. Brush mixture onto the snowman’s head, and sprinkle with clear microbeads. (Note: You can substitute crystal glitter for the microbeads). Let dry.
4. Roll cardstock into cone for hat. Check fit on snowman’s head and trim away excess paper. Glue hat together. Glue eyelash trim to top and around bottom of the hat. (Donna recommends Beacon 3-in-1 Adhesive for this step).
5. Paint pot green and let dry. Adhere trim around the top of the pot.
6. Glue hat to snowman’s head, and glue snowman head into pot.
If you’d like to see more of Donna’s beautiful designs, don’t miss her blog!
I’ll see you tomorrow more another Christmas in July tutorial!