Today is the first day of a weeklong Christmas in July series, with thanks to the design team from Expo International. Today, design team member Donna Budzynski shares her easy, DIY Rustic Christmas Tree Cones. Check out the rich colors and textures in the gimp trim she’s using. I like her subtle chalk paint finish on the wood pieces, too – the understated finish adds another layer of rustic charm to her finished trees. Thank you, Donna, for kicking off Christmas in July! (And, there’s a giveaway announcement today!)
To make Rustic Christmas Tree Cones, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam: 12” and 9” cones
- Expo International Trim – Hairy Gimp Trim – Cranberry Multi
- Wooden accents: Pedestal base and finial top for each cone
- Chalk paint (Donna used Americana Decor® Chalky Finish™ paint)
- Antiquing medium (Donna used DecoArt Staining/Antiquing Medium)
- Thick, white craft glue
- Beacon 3-in-1 Adhesive
- Tools needed: Scissors; paintbrush; baby wipes; water/container
To make Rustic Christmas Tree Cones:
1. Paint the wood bases and finials with the chalk paint. Following instructions on the bottle, wipe on the antiquing medium.
2. Squeeze a generous amount of thick, white craft glue onto each pedestal, and adhere the cones. Let glue dry.
3. Starting at the bottom of a cone, wrap the gimp trim around the cone, gluing in place as you go. (Donna recommends Beacon 3-in-1 Adhesive for this step). Continue to wrap the cone till it’s covered.
4. Glue a finial to the top.
These Rustic Christmas Cones would be right at home in an upscale home décor shop. I would want to reach out and touch them if I saw them on display! And wait till you see what Donna is sharing with us tomorrow! I know a lot of you will adore the little guy.
Be sure to stop in at Donna’s blog and say “hello”. Poke around and see some of her other projects, too – I know you’ll be inspired!
When I visited with Debra Quartermain at the Quartermain House B&B, we brainstormed this week’s Christmas in July feature. We also wanted to celebrate the week with a giveaway that will kick start your Christmas crafting! Here’s what’s in the giveaway package:
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam: Two each 10″ and 8″ cones; one 12″ wreath; two 6″ balls; and six, 3″ balls.
- A collection of trims from Expo International.
- A few goodies from Ganong, Canada’s oldest chocolate and candy company (read about Debra’s connection to Ganong here). The goodies include a Ganong T-shirt (size XL); a bag of their signature Chicken Bones™ candy; a pair of Roman nougat bars; and two maple leaf lollipops. (Unfortunately, it’s too hot to ship their chocolates.)
For your chance to win the Christmas in July prize package, Debra and I want to know what you’re planning to craft for Christmas this year. Tell us about your Christmas crafting plans by leaving a comment below by midnight on Thursday, August 3, and I’ll announce the winner on Friday, August 4.