How to make a Faux Concrete & Succulent Wreath

Fresh, modern concrete home décor is all the rage, but I’d never mess around with the real thing and mix up my own concrete. I wish I was that adventurous, but I’m not. However, you might remember how I fell in love with the faux concrete finish from Plaid, and it’s opened up a world of concrete design ideas (a pun!). Like this DIY, Faux Concrete & Succulent Wreath. It looks so real, yet it’s super lightweight, easy to make and even easier to hang – no reinforcement needed. The succulents are faux, so it’s easy care, too. (This Faux Concrete & Succulent Wreath was also featured in the summer issue—and last issue, sniff, of Craft Ideas magazine.)

DIY modern, Faux Concrete Wreath

Doesn’t it look like real concrete?

To make a Faux Concrete & Succulent Wreath, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 12” x 2” wreath; scrap piece
  • Plaid Folk Art Painted Finishes in concrete
  • Painter’s tape
  • Acrylic craft paint in bright pink (or other accent color)
  • Faux air plants, 2
  • Faux succulents, 5 – 6
  • Chenille stem
  • Mod Podge
  • Thick, white craft glue
  • Tools needed: Stiff paintbrush; knippers

To make a Faux Concrete & Succulent Wreath:

1. Apply a generous coat of Mod Podge to wreath and let dry.

2. Mask off with painter’s tape a portion of the wreath that will be painted bright pink.

3. Following directions on packaging, paint wreath with Painted Finishes base coat. While still wet, dab on top coat and blend into base coat. Let dry.

DIY Modern, Faux Concrete Wreath

Mask off the area for color blocking (left). Paint on the concrete finish and when dry, remove the tape. Paint on the accent color.

4. Remove painter’s tape, and paint unmasked area bright pink.

5. Arrange air plants and succulents on wreath. When pleased with arrangement, place glue on stems, and insert them into wreath. If needed, trim stems to fit. (Hint: Arrange the succulents and air plants in a scrap piece of STYROFOAM Brand Foam first. This way you can easily see how they will look and rearrange them without marring the finish on the wreath.)

6. Twist together ends of a 4” length of chenille stem, forming a loop. Insert and glue the loop into the back of the wreath to use as a hanger.

DIY Modern, faux concrete wreath

The succulents are faux, so no watering required!

If you like the look of concrete but you’re like me, and afraid to try the real thing, you have to check out this paint finish. You’ll love it! These Faux Concrete Eggs are the first project I made with the faux finish.

DIY modernFaux Concrete Eggs

The color blocking is optional.

I painted an extra egg and made this Faux Concrete Succulent Planter.

DIY modern Faux Concrete Succulent Planter

Making this faux, concrete planter is easy, and the faux succulents are easy-care, too.

I’ve not partnered with Plaid for this post. I just love that this product is so quick and easy to use, and a great shortcut to achieving a concrete-like finish, without a lot of time and mess.

Have you tackled mixing up a batch of real concrete and making something with it? Or are you like me, and you’d rather brush on a concrete finish paint?

This entry was posted in Craft Tutorial, Flower Designs, Home Decor, Wreaths and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to How to make a Faux Concrete & Succulent Wreath

1. How creative. This kind of gave me an idea for Halloween. We run a “spook trail” and now I know how I can make head stones without paying $20 for some flimsy headstone from party city. 🙂

What fun! You should be able to find the paint in Michaels and Jo-Anns, and you can also order from Plaid online. Thanks for stopping in, and happy Halloween crafting! Sharon

Nice pink and green contrast. A great wreath for a pop of color!!

Glad you like it — thank you. I’m partial to pink but of course, you could use any color you prefer. Gosh, you could even add polka dots instead of color blocking. What do you think? Happy crafting! Sharon

3. PS says:

WOw… Beautiful and creative idea. Looks great.

Thank you! Have you ever mixed up a batch of concrete and something created with it? Or, have you tried this faux, concrete finish paint? It’s so easy to use. Happy crafting! Sharon

4. Aren’t these fun and so fashionable too! Succulents are my new favorite plants. The ones in the pictures look real. I have only done one project with concrete and that was with Cub Scouts making stepping stones. I was told to make it like pancake batter. Luckily, two of the Dads showed up and knew what it was actually supposed to look like. (I just knew one of them would actually know what he was doing!) We still have that stepping stone in the yard. Using these Faux Concrete finishes look so much easier and they are realistic. I like that that wreaths would be much lighterweight and not require extra strong reinforcements to hang on the walls. This is very creative! Thank you for sharing, Sharon!

Awww, what sweet memories! That’s wonderful that you still have the stepping stones. I’ve never mixed up the real “stuff” but trust me, this paint is super easy to use! My kind of “concrete”. Happy concrete crafting, Angie! Thanks for stopping by. Sharon

P.S. Here’s another kind of “concrete” I like. A local custard shop offers a “concrete” — homemade custard with your choice of mixins. Mmm, so good! 🙂

5. barbaramacaskill says:

I haven’t used real concrete YET but I hope to soon! I really like this wreath! Simple and modern! It would fit in my house perfectly since it is a concrete “frame” house! When we decided to build we wanted to go as “clean” as we could without breaking the bank and we are so glad we went this route! Even if it is 30 below zero we can heat our house by turning the oven on for a half hour then shutting it off and opening the oven door to let the heat out! Between that and my oxygen machine we stay toasty warm even on the coldest of days!
    Have a great weekend and I will see you on Tuesday!

Cozy is good up in your corner of the world! Did you use concrete sandwich panels? Those would keep you warm! I’m glad you like the wreath, I think it’s one of my favorites. Happy weekend, Barb, and thank you! Sharon

6. sewtonya says:

These are cute! I love them ❤️

🙂 Thank you! I’m a big fan of the faux finish, it’s so easy to use. And faux succulents, well, it doesn’t get easier than that! Happy crafting! Sharon

Thank you! What’s on your craft table right now, Anne? I’d love to know what you’re working on. Thanks again for stopping by. Happy crafting! Sharon