How to make a Cupcake Birthday Card

There are lots of June birthdays in the family, so today I am sharing Patty Schaffer’s clever, DIY Cupcake Birthday Card. Patty’s card is like a birthday greeting and gift all in one, and enjoyed without a single extra calorie. In case you’re wondering, you can mail this dimensional card, if you put it in a small box. Otherwise, it’s special enough to warrant a hand delivery. I’m sharing a little more birthday fun, so read on.

DIY this cute, Cupcake Birthday Card on CraftsnCoffee.com.

Cupcake Birthday Card by Patty Schaffer

To make a Cupcake Birthday Card, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 2” ball and 2” x 3” cone
  • Scrapbook paper, 8-1/2” x 5-1/2” (Patty used green paper with embossed dots)
  • Cupcake liner
  • White tissue paper
  • Paper scraps or clear, decorative overlay
  • Letter stickers spelling “celebrate”
  • Wooden toothpick
  • Acrylic craft paint in pink
  • Washi tape in purple print
  • Chunky glitter in turquoise or other coordinating color
  • Mod Podge
  • Glitter glue
  • Optional: Additional embellishments
  • Low-temp glue gun
  • Tools needed: Scissors; serrated knife; old candle or bar of soap; paintbrush

To make a Cupcake Birthday Card:

1. Score and fold the scrapbook paper in half.

2. Wax the knife blade with an old candle or bar of soap. Cut the foam cone and foam ball in half from top to bottom. You will use one half of each shape (save the other half for another card).

3. Cut the point off the bottom of the cone to make the bottom half of the cupcake.

4. Cut a slice from the half ball, and check to see if it fits on top of the cupcake bottom. If the two halves don’t fit together, trim to fit.

DIY Cupcake Birthday Card. Cute! CraftsnCoffee.com.

No calories! And super cute!

5. Brush Mod Podge on the ball, and cover with tissue paper to look like icing. Let dry.

6. Cut a cupcake liner in half. Check fit to see if it completely covers the cupcake bottom. Glue in place.

7. Glue together the cupcake top and bottom.

8. Adhere paper scrap or decorative overlay to front of card. Add letter stickers to spell out “celebrate”.

9. Glue cupcake to the card.

10. Paint toothpick pink and let dry.

11. Wrap washi tape around toothpick, and cut into pennant shape. Insert into top of cupcake.

12. Brush glitter glue on top of cupcake and sprinkle with turquoise glitter.

DIY this cute, Cupcake Birthday Card on CraftsnCoffee.com.

Change the saying, the papers, the colors, and make it your own.

Last year, we celebrated the 75th birthday of STYROFOAM Brand Foam with a roundup of 20+ Cupcake & Ice Cream Crafts. These sweet crafts are a lot of fun, so go take a peek!

DIY Cupcake crafts I have one more idea to make a birthday celebration special – a Birthday Balloon Wreath.

DIY Balloon Wreath

Happy birthday to all the June birthdays!

Be sure to join in for Tinsel Tuesdays next week!

The best DIY Christmas crafts

This entry was posted in Craft Tutorial, Gift Ideas, Paper Crafts and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to How to make a Cupcake Birthday Card

1. PS says:

Wow…I am impressed..Love it

Wonderful birthday greeting!! That card would definitely bring a smile from the recipient, young or old!

So glad you love it! Cupcakes make any day special, and you could change the sentiment and use this card for lots of occasions. Here’s to cupcake crafting! Sharon

3. We love card making! Having some cute Happy Birthday cards on hand and made ahead of time is always a handy go-to. Birthdays for friends, family, co-workers, church friends, neighbors, and the list goes on. I have never seen a cupcake like this on a card before. Before I saw the photos, I was thinking a little one dimentional flat cupcake. This is adorable. Thank you for sharing this fun craft, Sharon!

How thoughtful of you to share your talents with your handmade cards! I’m sure the recipients feels very special when they receive one! It sounds like you hand deliver a lot of your cards, so this would be perfect! And you could make two from the shapes of STYROFOAM Brand Foam, and you’d have a pair of cupcake cards, ready for the next celebrations. Craft on, Angie! Sharon

4. My Bella says:

I love this!! It’s so super sweet!

What a fun card to hand deliver. With my luck the post office clerk might squish it to pieces.
    Cute cute

I think so, too! I would definitely pack it in a small box if I was going to mail it! It sure would be fun to receive it in the mail, wouldn’t it? What a surprise! Almost as good as the real thing! Happy crafting, Lisa. Sharon

6. sewtonya says:

I love this! I haven’t made cards in a long time. I’ll have to show this to my mom. She still makes cards.

7. Very creative idea! I love making my own cards.

Yay! I think it’s so special to receive a handmade card, and I’m sure those who receive your cards feel the same way. Lots of love & time go into each card. So glad you stopped in. Happy crafting! Sharon

Ooo what a delicious idea 😉

🙂 Tasty, indeed! I’d make mine chocolate, how about you? I think you could use this idea to make cards other than for birthdays — baby showers, congratulations, etc. Cupcakes make any day special! Thanks so much, Katiria. Happy crafting! Sharon

9. Anne Marie says:

Cute idea – who doesn’t love cupcakes?

Exactly! I’m raising my hand right now! They make any occasion special, imo. Glad you like the card — thank you! Happy crafting! Sharon

10. Wow so cute and original!

11. So dang cute! I especially love that it would be a great masculine card also! You can never have enough ideas for guy cards in my opinion because it is so hard to come up with ideas for them! TFS!

Thanks, Barb. Who doesn’t love cupcakes, right? You could even make it a chocolate cupcake — mmmm! Thanks for stopping in, and here’s to a creative, crafty week! Sharon