Tinsel Tuesday: Make Ribbon Christmas Ornaments from your stash

I don’t know about you, but I save the smallest pieces of ribbons. The ribbon scraps are too pretty to throw out. Now, I’m glad I saved them because I can use all of the leftover ribbon to make these Festive, Ribbon Christmas Ornaments. With a mix of ribbon textures, sizes and colors, these DIY Christmas ornaments are very merry indeed. The Ribbon Christmas Ornaments are easy, and a fun Christmas craft for all ages, and groups, too. If you’re making these as a group, have each person bring in ribbon, and then mix it all up!

DIY Ribbon Christmas Ornaments

DIY Ribbon Christmas Ornaments

Look closely and you’ll see that Kathleen used a mix of sheer, satin, grosgrain and curling ribbons.

DIY Ribbon Christmas Ornaments

You can mix up the colors, too.

To make Festive, Ribbon Christmas Ornaments, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 1-1/2” ball
  • Assorted ribbons, 1/4″ – 3/8″ wide (model shown uses grosgrain, curling, sheer, and satin)
  • Thick, white craft glue
  • Low-temp glue gun
  • Tools needed: Scissors; ruler; wood skewers

To make Festive, Ribbon Christmas Ornaments:

1. Cut several 3-1/2″ — 4″ lengths from a variety of ribbons. If using curling ribbon, cut 7″– 8″ lengths, and curl the ribbon on the blade of the scissors.

2. Insert a skewer into the ball to use as a handle. Place a dot of glue on the ball, center a ribbon length over the glue, and using a skewer, insert the ribbon ¼” deep into the ball. Remove skewer.

3. Repeat, mixing up the ribbons as you go for a collage effect. Let glue dry.

4. Remove the skewer from the ball. Knot together ends of a 6” ribbon, forming a loop. Squeeze glue in hole left by the skewer, and using another skewer, push the knot into the foam ball. Let dry.

DIY Ribbon Christmas Ornaments

A trio of Festive, Ribbon Christmas Ornaments by Kathleen George.

Don’t put away the ribbon yet. Here are a few more ideas for Christmas ornaments you can make with your leftover ribbons.

Christmas Ribbon Pomander

DIY Ribbon Pomander

Ribbon Pomander

Creamy Ribbon Christmas Ornament

DIY Ribbon Christmas Ornament

Creamy Ribbon Christmas Ornament

The technique Kathleen used to make today’s Festive, Ribbon Christmas Ornaments is not new and one you’ve probably used before. Kathleen used the same idea when she made her Punched Fabric Ornaments, and she substituted fabric squares for the ribbon. Another good stash buster!

Punched Fabric Ornament

Punched Fabric Ornament

Thanks for joining in another summertime Tinsel Tuesday!

This entry was posted in Christmas Ornaments, Craft Tutorial, Gift Ideas, Kid's Crafts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Tinsel Tuesday: Make Ribbon Christmas Ornaments from your stash

Love the serendipity!! Very colorful and cheery for the tree!

Aren’t the colors fun? What colors would you make them? I might try red & white, or maybe silver & aqua. You can’t go wrong with these little pretties! Thanks for stopping in and happy crafting! Sharon

2. Love these Christmas ornaments and Christmas Pomander too! I would include a sprig of mistletoe in mine for some Christmas kisses! These instructions made crafting so easy and fun. I am not certain how I would pack them up for a second season. Maybe by cutting a hole in the bottom center of a paper cup. Next threading the hanger thread up through that hole. That way the ornament would still be hanging freely inside the cup without getting crushed. Happy Crafting!

Mistletoe! 😉 Thanks so much for the input re: storing these ornaments. You could also insert a skewer into the ornament, and insert the other end in a Styrofoam block, and store them upright. So glad you thought of this. Thanks, Angie! Sharon

3. As Jenna and I are reading this she keeps saying let’s make that and that and that and ALL of them! I guess she really likes these ornaments! 😁🌻😁🌈

🙂 Me & Jenna both love these ornaments! Jenna can totally make these — they’re easy enough. And mixing & matching the ribbons is lots of fun. I hope you both get to try these! Happy crafting! Sharon

4. Pat Kichinko says:

Thanks for this one! I found a bag of foam balls (Styrofoam-wannabes) at my local Dollar Tree. I’m going to use curling ribbon (also Dollar Tree) only on the smaller balls. I see an evening of Christmas music, A/C, and crafts in my near future!

Thinking Christmas will cool you off! Let me know how your ornament making goes. I wonder if you’ll be able to insert the ribbons as easily in the softer balls? Have fun with this, and share photos! Thanks for stopping in and happy Christmas crafting! Sharon

5. wow totally creative idea!

6. Anne Marie says:

What a great ribbon scrap busting project – am afraid I save every ribbon scrap – now they can be put to use.

You and me both! I also can’t bring myself to throw out the little bits. Kathleen had a great idea with these ornaments, and now you can display and enjoy the pretty scraps. Happy crafting! Sharon