Patriotic crafts for kids: DIY a Tissue Paper Flag

Looking for a summertime, patriotic craft for the kids? I have a few patriotic crafts linked up today, and a new tutorial for a DIY Patriotic Flag Door Hanger. Kids will have fun making this flag – it’s easy enough to insert the tissue paper squares into the sheet of STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam. I used the same technique with bandana squares when I made my easy Bandana Wreath. Give the Patriotic Flag Door Hanger a try – it’s fast and it’s fun!

DIY flag craft for kids

Patriotic Flag Door Hanger by Linda Valentino.

To make a Patriotic Flag Door Hanger, you’ll need:

• SYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 1-¼” x  6-¾”  x  12” block (or, you can cut a larger sheet to size, and make several flags from the larger sheet)
  • Tissue paper: Two sheets each of red & blue; and one sheet of white
  • Ribbon:
    • Red, 1” x 39”
    • Patriotic-print, 1-½” x 24”
  • Chenille stem
  • Thick, white craft glue
  • Tools needed: Scissors; ruler; marker; optional: pinking shears

To make a Patriotic Flag Door Hanger:

1. Draw the flag shape on the foam rectangle:

• Hold the foam rectangle vertically (up & down), and measure 5” down from the top.
  • Draw a line at this point across the foam sheet. This will be the blue field.
  • Draw four vertical lines, about 1-3/8” apart, from this line to the bottom of the foam rectangle. These are the stripes.
  • Be sure to refer to the photo if you have questions.

2. Cut tissue paper into 2” squares.

3. Fill in the blue field first:

• Layer together two blue squares.
  • Center the flat end of the skewer over the two squares.
  • Squeeze a dab of glue on the foam flag.
  • Place the squares on the glue, and push down on the skewer, inserting the squares into the foam rectangle.
  • Repeat, adding more squares about ½” apart, till the blue field is covered.
  • Layer together two white tissue paper squares, and add stars in the same manner.

4. Fill in the red and white stripes, following instructions in Step 3.

5. Glue the red ribbon around the sides of the flag.

6. Add the hanger:

• Make a hole in the top, ½” from each end. Use the needle to poke through the ribbon.
  • Dip the ends of the chenille stem in glue.
  • Insert one end into each hole.
  • Tie the patriotic ribbon around the chenille stem, and make a bow.
  • Optional: Trim ends of ribbon with pinking shears.
DIY patriotic craft for kids

Linda used tissue paper for her flag, but you could also use fabric or even bandanas.

If you like, substitute red, white and blue fabrics, or bandanas for the tissue paper. Here’s the Easy, Bandana Wreath that I made using squares cut from bandanas.

DIY easy bandana wreath

If your kids are a little older, this Duct Tape Flag is a fun idea.

DIY Duct Tape Flag

Duct Tape Flag.

If you’re planning a July 4th picnic, neighborhood party, or other summertime gathering, make a Patriotic Lollipop Tree for your centerpiece. I’m pretty sure the kids will love helping out with this one!

DIY Patriotic Lollipop Tree

Kids of all ages can make these Patriotic Rag Balls. Plus, there’s a history lesson involved, so you can combine crafting and learning.

DIY Rag Balls

Patriotic Rag Balls

Show your kids this line up and let me know which craft they choose!

This entry was posted in Craft Tutorial, Kid's Crafts, Paper Crafts, Patriotic Crafts and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Patriotic crafts for kids: DIY a Tissue Paper Flag

1. diyfamily101 says:

What a great ideas. Do you mind if I share this on my Facebook group? It is DIY family 101. I think it will be great and useful post .

2. Norma Davis says:

Definitely going to do this for the 4th of July

🙂 Yay! Awesome! I hope you’ll let me know how it turns out, and share a photo of your Tissue Paper Flag, too. Happy crafting! Sharon

These are some great patriotic creations. I can see trying a few if these.

4. Every 4th of July, my sister’s neighborhood has a fun, family oriented neighborhood parade. The kids decorate their bikes. Moms put babies in decorated strollers. Dads pull little ones in their decorated wagons. It is a lot of fun. The senior citizens sit in their lawn chairs in the shade. People enjoy their neighbors and take lots of photos. Now, this is nothing like the Macy’s Parade, mind you. It is something that all the kids look forward to each 4th of July. Even the teenagers add music that is patriotic with some ‘good tunes’ too. Everyone likes dress up in red, white, and blue. When I tell my sister, and show her these designs, she will be in craft heaven. Her disabled son in his electric wheelchair is a sweetie and always has a group of his friends there too. Having a new grandson, I know sis will be having his stroller all decked out in the red, white, and blue too. You have a amazing crafts, Sharon!

Your celebration sounds like the best! It’s low-key and all about family and friends, and happy times! It brings back memories of a bike parade we rode in when we were kids, and how much fun we had decorating our bikes. I’m so glad you shared your July 4th fun with us! Thank you! Happy crafting & celebrating! xo, Sharon

• Katiria says:

OMG that sounds so nice. I wish our neighborhood was like that.

5. sewtonya says:

These are all so cute! Thanks for sharing! My oldest loves crafts!

I don’t think there is anything easier than the duct tape flag craft. The Patriotic Flag Door Hanger is fun too.
    By the way Sharon, I loved both your projects in this months issue of Craft Ideas. Great job 🙂

That Duct Tape Flag was a fun one! And you are so sweet – thank you! I’ve not yet seen the issue and I can’t wait to pick up a copy! (And did you hear the very sad news that this is the last issue? Breaks my heart!) Thanks for stopping by. Xo, Sharon

• Katiria says:

Yes, its so sad. I hope they find a partner to continue somehow because I love clipping articles and pictures from magazines to save for inspiration. I have many scrapbook/craft magazine clippings that I still look to for ideas. Also (to me ) it feels like things that are digital somehow get forgotten or overlooked just because of the fact that there are so many new things to “Pin”. Being a crafter, I like to hold things in my hand and feel the texture. Online doesn’t feel the same.

I know! I prefer paper, too, even when I read a book. A digital e-reader just isn’t the same! I know you pin on Pinterest, and I guess that’s the best way to keep track of the online inspiration. Let’s hope we hear good news soon! Sharon

7. So pretty! You could keep any of these awesome patriotic creations up from Memorial Day to Labor Day! TFS!

Thanks, Barb, so glad you like these. And yes, why not keep them up all summer long – celebrate the red, white and blue! Happy crafting! Sharon

8. Anne Marie says:

Love these patriotic ideas – must get ready for the fourth!

9. Debbie Kaste says:

What great ideas. LOVE the lollipop bouquet. What a cute birthday gift that would be too for anyone celebrating their birthday in July:)

Thank you, Debbie. The Lollipop Bouquets are so fun & easy to DIY. Love your idea of making one for a birthday, too. Who wouldn’t love their own Lollipop Bouquet?! Happy crafting! Sharon

10. Very cute ideas! My daughter is only two but she loves the ‘merica flag very much 🙂

11. Erin says: