These elegant, Holiday Deco Spheres look expensive, but they’re easy to make. Each step is pretty quick, and due to the drying time, you can work on them when you have a minute. I think the DIY Holiday Deco Spheres would make beautiful gifts, too. Personalize them with the recipient’s favorite word or their name. If you have a “word of the year”, stamp that on the ball. Add a ribbon and these Holiday Deco Spheres transform into ornaments. So many options!
To make Holiday Deco Spheres, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 4” and 5” balls
- Air-dry clay in red, green and natural
- Acrylic craft paint in metallic bronze
- Antiquing gel in brown
- Leafing glaze in silver
- Letter stamps
- Thick, white craft glue
- Low-temp glue gun
- Optional (for display of the deco spheres): urn; reindeer moss; twig wreath; ribbon
- Tools needed: Scissors; serrated knife; old candle or bar of soap; wax paper; clay roller; ruler; round paintbrush; zip-top plastic bag; paper towels
To make Holiday Deco Spheres:
1. Wax serrated knife with soap or candle stub. Cut a thin slice from each ball so the ball will stand without rolling.
2. On a sheet of wax paper, roll clay to 1/4″ thickness.
3. Use your fingers to mold the clay around a ball of STYROFOAM Brand Foam. Piece clay together as needed to cover any gaps. Use the roller to carefully smooth out the clay. Place leftover clay in a zip-top bag for a future use.
4. Stamp your holiday word on the front of the ball. Let dry overnight.
5. Place small amount of silver glaze on paper towel and rub over stamped balls. Wipe away excess glaze with dry paper towel. Let dry.
6. Repeat Step 5 using brown antiquing gel.
7. Use a small paintbrush to paint stamped lettering metallic bronze. Wipe away excess paint with dry paper towel.
8. Repeat Step 7 using antiquing gel. Let dry.
- Glue reindeer moss around base of each ball.
- To display deco sphere in an urn, glue ball to a twig wreath. Fill urn with scraps of STYROFOAM Brand Foam. Glue wreath to top of urn. Fill in with moss, as needed.
- To create an ornament, knot together ends of an 8” length of ribbon. Poke hole in top of ball with a skewer, knitting needle, or other pointed tool. Add a dab of glue in hole, and insert knot into the hole. Let dry.
Designer Diane Flowers shared a summertime version with us, too, when she showed us her Spa Eggs. Like I said, there are lots of options with this project!
Merry, Bright, Jolly, Santa, Peace – what word or words would you stamp on your Holiday Deco Spheres?