The temperature soared past 90 this week, so it’s high time to share this new, Patriotic Summer Wreath from Patty Schaffer. The wreath’s officiall name is a mouthful – DIY Patriotic, Mesh Tubing Ribbon Wreath, phew! When I’ve featured a craft made with mesh tubing or ribbon in the past, I’ve had readers say “I’ve always wondered what to do with that product.” So, I’m glad Patty is sharing her pretty and Patriotic Summer Wreath and showing us another way to use mesh tubing.
To make a Patriotic, Mesh Tubing Ribbon Wreath, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 12” wreath
- Mesh tubing in red, white and blue (30 yds each)
- Spool wire, 22 gauge
- White, glitter stars, purchased or make your own
- Ribbon (for hanging)
- Glue dots
- Tools needed: Scissors; wire cutters; pins
To make a Patriotic, Mesh Tubing Ribbon Wreath:
1. Make U-pins: Bend 2-1/2” lengths of wire into ‘U’ shapes.
2. Starting with blue, coil the tubing to make two to three loops approximately 2” across. Pinch loops together at the bottom, and secure to the wreath with a U-pin. It’s not necessary to cut the loops from the length of mesh tubing. Add another set of loops and pin in place next to the first set.
Here are a few more hints Patty shared for covering the wreath with the mesh tubing:
- Fill in the wreath in this order: outside edge first; then the face of the wreath; and finally the inside edge.
- The loops don’t need to be in neat rows; just fill in the area.
- If you need to cut the loops from the longer length to move from one area to the next, be sure the ends are securely pinned to the wreath after cutting.
3. In between the groups of blue loops, add in loops of white mesh tubing. Continue to add more sets of loops till you cover about ¼ of the wreath with blue and white loops.
4. Use the same technique to add alternating stripes of red and white deco tubing.
5. Attach white, glittered stars to the blue section with glue dots.
6. Pin and glue a ribbon loop to the back of the wreath for hanging.
This Patriotic, Deco Mesh Wreath is from a while back. I think deco mesh and mesh tubing are somehow related, like distant cousins.
Patty also shared with us her Wrap & Roll Bandana Wreath a few years ago.
A reminder that today is National Mod Podge Day! Celebrate!