Patty Schaffer returns today to share another beautiful, DIY wreath (Patty recently shared with us her Spring Magnolia Wreath and Easter Egg & Spring Blossoms Wreath). The March issue of Southern Living features an elegant Moss Wreath made with moss and real azaleas. Lovely, but alas, the azaleas won’t last long. Patty took matters in hand and recreated her own everlasting Moss & Flowers Wreath, made with an appealing mix of mosses and springtime silk flowers. Patty’s Moss & Flowers Wreath is stunning, and you can enjoy it for a long, long time.
To make a Moss & Flowers Wreath, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 12” wreath
- Moss rolls, two
- Mixed moss, 1 bag
- Reindeer moss in light green, two bags
- Silk flowers & berries, assorted
- Wire, 22-gauge, in green
- Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Heavy-duty scissors; wire cutters
To make a Moss & Flowers Wreath:
1. Cut 3” lengths of wire and bend in half to make u-pins.
2. Using heavy-duty scissors, cut the moss roll to the lengths needed to cover the inside, outside and front face of the wreath. Attach the moss to the wreath with the wire u-pins. This doesn’t need to be perfect and it’s o.k. if there are gaps – you’ll cover the wreath later with moss and flowers.
3. Glue reindeer moss onto the wreath. Mix in moss from the variety pack to add different textures and colors. Completely cover about 2/3 of the wreath with the moss, and leave the lower 1/3 uncovered.
4. In the lower, uncovered portion of the wreath, determine how you’d like to arrange the flowers, berries and leaves. Trim stems as needed. Anchor the stems in place by inserting them into the wreath, and by using u-pins and glue.
5. Glue a few lengths of ribbon among the flowers.
6. Knot together ends of a 12” length of ribbon. Pin and glue the ribbon to the back of the wreath for a hanger.
Here’s Patty’s original inspiration from Southern Living. I couldn’t find this exact wreath on the Southern Living web site, however, there is a Christmas Moss Wreath. You could do the same thing with Patty’s Moss Wreath, and change out the flowers for different seasons.
It seems like everyone likes moss crafts, and if you do, too, don’t miss this round up.
I’m sure Patty would love to hear from you, and you can always get in touch with her over at her etsy shop, ps it’s in the details.
I’ll have more wreath talk on Friday, and a little giveaway, too . . .