How to DIY a Spring Magnolia Wreath for your front door

Yesterday, the magnolia tree beside the house was blooming; today, it’s covered in snow! All the more reason to love Patty Schaffer’s beautiful, DIY Magnolia Wreath. Here’s her secret – she’s used a silk magnolia leaf garland, so this wreath will last season after season, no matter what the weather. Here’s something else I’d like to share – I actually got to meet Patty a few weeks ago! Yay! Read on for the DIY on this Spring Magnolia Wreath and my little road trip.

DIY Spring Magnolia Wreath

Spring Magnolia Wreath by Patty Schaffer.

To make a Spring Magnolia Wreath, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 12” wreath
  • Magnolia leaf garland, 6-ft.*
  • Magnolia leaf garland with blossoms, 6-ft.*
  • Fabric, ¼ yd.
  • Ribbon
  • Low-temp glue gun
  • Tools needed: Scissors; wire cutters; pins

*Hobby Lobby carries magnolia garlands, and the other craft chains probably do, too. Patty ordered her garland from Save-on-Crafts.

DIY Magnolia Wreath

The ribbon is optional, but I like how it accents the copper color on the reverse side of the leaves.

DIY Spring Magnolia Wreath

As you can see, it’s beautiful without the ribbons, too.

To make a Spring Magnolia Wreath:

1. Cut fabric into 2” wide strips. Wrap the strips around the wreath to cover the foam. Use pins to secure ends.
  2. Cut apart the garland so that you have individual leaves and small bunches of leaves.
  3. Pin and glue the leaves to the wreath. Work around the wreath in one direction, and overlap the leaves as you go.
  4. Arrange and then pin and glue in place two – three magnolia blossoms and buds.
  5. Optional: Add ribbon loops and tails around the blossoms, and secure with pins.
  6. Loop ribbon through the wreath for a hanger.
 DIY Spring Magnolia Wreath

Patty displays the wreath on the chalkboard in her kitchen.

Patty has made many beautiful wreaths, and you may be familiar with her famous spring grass wreath. That’s how I first met Patty – when I saw her cute spring wreath on Pinterest, I reached out to her to see if she could create a similar spring wreath for Crafts ‘n Coffee. I’m so glad she said “yes”!

DIY spring grass wreath

Welcome Spring Wreath

I was on the road a few weeks ago and I knew I would be in Patty’s neighborhood. So we had a quick meet up at her aunt & uncle’s greenhouse, Hickory Grove Greenhouses. Patty showed me some of the wreaths and other arrangements she makes for the greenhouse – all beautiful, of course! We also had a peek into the walk-in cooler, packed from floor to ceiling with potted bulbs that would soon burst into bloom.

Patty Schaffer at Hickory Grove Greenhouses

Patty and I at Hickory Grove Greenhouses.

Patty makes beautiful crafts from paper, too, and you can see many of them in her etsy shop, P.S. it’s in the details.

We had a few more fun stops on our road trip, including the Jello-O Gallery Museum in LeRoy, New York. Back in 1897, carpenter Pearle Wait created a fruit flavored gelatine dessert that his wife named Jell-O. He sold the trademark in 1899 for $450, and you know the rest of the story!

Jell-O Gallery Museum

Jell-O Gallery Museum in LeRoy, New York.

Another day we stopped in for lunch and browsing at An Unlikely Story, the bookstore and café owned by Jeff Kinney, author of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. Who else loves to browse bookstores? The shop has a terrific line up of author talks, too – I wish I lived closer!

An Unlikely Story bookstore & cafe

We stopped in at An Unlikely Story for lunch and browsing.

Back at home, what a difference a day makes. Here’s my blooming magnolia tree, taken yesterday before the snow fell. It’s a very tall and gangly tree, and oftentimes, the weather zaps the buds before it can bloom. At least it bloomed for a brief while this year.

Blooming magnolia tree

A few blooms on my magnolia tree, before the snow started to fall.

And here’s the same view this morning! Crazy, right?

snow covered magnolias

Crazy April snow!

At least Patty’s Spring Magnolia Wreath will keep on blooming! Is there a spring wreath hanging on your front door?

This entry was posted in Craft Tutorial, Flower Designs, Road Trip Recap, Spring Crafts, Wreaths and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to How to DIY a Spring Magnolia Wreath for your front door

Looks like such a fun trip. My son would have loved bookstore. He is a big fan of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. Happy Spring:) 🙂

That is a fun series, and I think it enticed a lot of kids to read, which is awesome. Kind of like the Harry Potter series. Whatever draws the kids in and gets them to put down a screen and pick up a book is great. It finally looks a little more like spring here, yay! I’m sure you’re well on your way to summer down there. Enjoy, and happy spring to you, too. xo, Sharon

2. Angie Anderson Dyer says:

Spring flowers are the very best! They show that new life is in progress. The dull winter days are coming to an end. I like that any number of colors could be utilized with the Spring Magnolia Wreath. I tend to favor pinks, blues, purples, and yellows. Thank you for the great directions!

I’m with you — there’s nothing sweeter than seeing the spring bulbs push up and bloom after winter’s over. Beautiful idea to customize this wreath, Angie. The green magnolia leaves are so pretty, and they would marry well with other colors, too. Happy spring to you, and thanks for stopping in. 🙂 Sharon

Oh my, look at that snow. Makes that magnolia wreath look even nicer – a breath of spring!!

After a warmer weekend, most of the snow is now gone, thank goodness! Just a few piles here and there in the shade. Here’s hoping it’s the last we see for a while! Do you have plans for a spring wreath? Happy crafting! Sharon

4. Norma says:

Wow. Thanks for sharing your road trip ! Now inspired to make the wreath !!

🙂 Yay! So glad Patty’s wreath inspired you! Let us know how your wreath turns out, and share a photo — I’d love to see it. Happy crafting! Sharon

5. Anne Haun says:

I have wanted a magnolia wreath for so long – thanks for the tutorial. What a fun road trip you had – glad you got to go.

Thanks, Anne. Spring is a great time for road trips, don’t you think? Any road trips in your plans? I hope you have a chance to DIY Patty’s Magnolia Wreath. I love that it looks so real, but is never going to fade. Happy crafting! Sharon

6. What a fun trip! Sounds like you found lots of great places to stop at!
    I love this wreath! I checked Save On Crafts and they have a beautiful selection of flowers, vines and garlands to choose from!
    Your magnolias were beautiful for the short time they bloomed! Isn’t the weather crazy sometimes?
    Have a great weekend!

Yes, crazy! I think you get the same crazy weather sometimes, don’t you, Barb? It’s nice to see a little spring online, even though it may not look like spring outside. I hope you enjoyed the weekend, too, and saw a little sunshine. Happy spring crafting! Sharon

No wreaths at my home. We have had sunshine, rain and the dreadful white stuff too. Windy here today.

Love the wreaths though. Some day I will make and put one up.

Yes, you need a spring wreath! Especially when dealing with April snow! I’m sorry you’ve had to deal with more “white stuff”, argh! Crazy — yesterday it was 70 degrees here and we still had piles of snow on the ground. Here’s to a spring wreath brimming with flowers for you, Lisa! Sharon

8. Nurse Kelly says:

Love the magnolia wreath! Thank you for posting! 🙂

Thank you! Patty’s wreath is beautiful, and I love it, too. Do you have a spring wreath? Sharon

• Nurse Kelly says:

Hi Sharon! I have a forsythia wreath on the door at the moment, but love anything to do with magnolias! I used white magnolia blooms as part of my holiday decor last year… planning on using a few of those for this new wreath. Thanks again for the inspiration!

You’re welcome! Magnolias are always beautiful, aren’t they, from springtime to the holidays. Thanks for sharing!

9. That’s so lovely. Waiting for my Magnolia tree to bloom so I can decorate with it. But this wood be grate while i wait. /sharing

Thank you for sharing, and so glad you love this wreath, too. There’s nothing like seeing flowers again after a long winter, is there? I hope your magnolia tree blooms soon! Happy crafting! Sharon

10. Tabi Bee says: