With so much of the country snowbound by blizzards this week, I thought it a good time to DIY a Faux Mink Wreath. Especially a luxurious and bejeweled Faux Fur Wreath! This super-easy wreath is faux fun, and no worries, it’s inexpensive too. The “jewels” are costume pieces, jewelry findings and buttons, most purchased at clearance prices, or already in your stash. So, while the snow swirls outside, cozy up to your craft table and DIY this Faux Mink Wreath!
To make a Faux Mink Wreath, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 14” x 2” wreath
- Craft fur:
- ½ yd. faux mink
- 9” x 12” craft cut for bow
- Optional: Small piece of white fur for center of bow
- Heavy-duty interfacing, 9” x 8” scrap
- Jewels and buttons: 10 for the wreath; 1-1/5” dia. broach for the bow
- Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; permanent marker; straight pins
To make a Faux Mink Wreath:
1. Place the wreath on the reverse side of the faux fur and trace around it with a permanent marker. Cut out the circle, adding a ½” all around. Place the wreath back on the circle, and trace the center circle, making it a ½” smaller all around. Cut out the center circle. Hint: keep the fur fabric face down while you cut to help minimize the flying fur.
2. Glue the fabric circle to the front of the wreath ring. Cut ½” tabs around the edge, and glue tabs to the outside edge of the wreath ring. Cut ½” tabs around the center of the ring, and glue tabs to the inside edge of the wreath.
3. Cut a 2” strip of faux fur and glue the fur around the edge of the wreath. If needed, add pins to hold in place while glue dries.
4. Cut a 9” x 12” piece of craft fur for the bow. Glue a 9” x 8” piece of heavy-duty interfacing to the reverse side. Fold the fur into a bow. Wrap a 2” wide strip of faux fur around the middle, and glue strip to the back. Glue bow to wreath.
5. Decorate wreath with jewels and buttons.
6. Twist together ends of a 4” chenille stem, forming a loop. Insert and glue to the center back of the wreath for a hanger.
Who is caught up in the blizzard? Stay warm & safe, everyone!