Today I have a super-easy, DIY Valentine’s Day decoration for you. It all started when I spied a “Sweet Roll” of yarn at Jo-Ann Stores. Have you seen Sweet Rolls, or Yarn Cakes? I can walk by a Cinnabon at the airport, but I could not walk by this pretty, pink Sweet Roll. I used it to wrap up my Valentine’s Day Yarn Cones, which also led to the Valentine’s Day Snowman I shared a while back. Here’s they are, all together. (I have a little giveaway, too, so read on . . .)
I topped off the Yarn Cones with pink glass knobs from Hobby Lobby (and used a 40% off coupon for them). Later, I saw bags of glittered hearts at the dollar store, and I think those would have been pretty, too.
Here’s the Sweet Roll that started it all. Can you see why I had to bring it home?
To make Valentine’s Day Yarn Cones, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: Cones in various sizes; I used 9” x 4”, 9” x 5”, & 12” x 4”
- Yarn, in assorted colors and textures
- Pink glass knobs, or other toppers, such as glittered hearts
- Thick, white craft glue
- Tools needed: Scissors; straight pins
To make Valentine’s Day Yarn Cones:
- Pin and glue the end of the yarn to the base of the cone. Wrap the cone till covered. Wind the yarn around the top of the cone, and glue in place. (Hint: If you’re using a Sweet Roll or Yarn Cake, you might find that the colors don’t change fast enough. After I wrapped a section, I cut off the yarn and unwound the Sweet Roll till I came to the next color, and then I started wrapping again.)
- If using a glass knob, carefully insert it in the top of the cone, making sure it’s straight. Remove the knob, add glue to the hole, and place the knob back in the hole.
I just love how sweet & cozy these all look, not to mention how easy they are. If you’re like me and you’re looking for a stress-free craft, pick up a Sweet Roll and wrap away!
I have a little Valentine’s Day giveaway to announce, because you are all the best! I have two Valentine’s Day prize packages to give away, and each one contains:
- Chocolate & coffee, of course: a jumbo Hershey’s Kiss and Starbuck’s Via packets;
- “I Sweat Glitter” water bottle;
- Crafty note pads.
For your chance to win, tell me below what you’re crafting for Valentine’s Day. Please leave a comment by midnight on Monday, February 13. I’ll announce the winner on Tuesday, February 14.
Happy Valentine’s Day crafting!