DIY a Chenille Swirl Valentine’s Day Wreath with the kiddos

I have a soft spot for chenille stem crafts, maybe because I remember crafting with them when I was a kid. I had a craft for the kids in mind when I made today’s Chenille Swirl Valentine’s Day Wreath, and Patty Schaffer’s Chenille Swirl Christmas Tree was my inspiration. Get the kids involved in making the chenille swirls; it’s not hard, and together, you can knock them out during an hour or two of HGTV. (Tiny houses – they are so cool, but where’s the craft room?) The kids will need some help gluing the swirls to the wreath, so read on for the details.

DIY Chenille Valentine's Day Wreath

To make a Chenille Swirl Valentine’s Day Wreath, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 12” half-round wreath
  • Chenille stems:
    • 25 red
    • 30 deep pink
    • 25 light pink
    • 12 white
  • Metal arrow (I found mine at Hobby Lobby, and Jo-Ann Stores carries them, too)
  • Ribbon
  • Low-temp glue gun*
  • Tools needed: Scissors or wire knippers

*Young children should not use a glue gun! Be sure an adult helps to adhere the swirls to the wreath.

To make a Chenille Swirl Valentine’s Day Wreath:

1. Wind the chenille stems into coils. Use a full chenille stem to make the large swirls, and ½ a chenille stem for the small swirls. For my wreath, I made:

• Red: 21 large and six small
  • Deep pink: 24 large and eight small
  • Light pink: 20 large and four small
  • White: 10 large and three small
DIY Chenille Valentine's Day Wreath

I used a full chenille stem for the larger swirls, and filled in spaces with smaller swirls made from 1/2 a chenille stem.

DIY easy Valentine's Day Wreath.

How would you arrange the swirls? Stripes? Ombre? At randrom?

2. Glue swirls to the wreath with low-temp glue. I decided to arrange my swirls in an ombré pattern, but I think the wreath would be pretty if they were arranged randomly, too. Add the larger swirls first, and then fill in with the smaller swirls. NOTE: Young children should not use a glue gun! An adult should glue the swirls to the wreath. (I tried to use a thick, white craft glue and found that my swirls popped right off the wreath.)

DIY Chenille Swirl Valentine's Day Wreath

I found my arrow at Hobby Lobby, and I’ve recently seen quite a few at Jo-Ann Stores, too.

3. Glue an arrow across the front of the wreath. Decorate the arrow shank with small pennants cut from ribbon.

DIY a Chenille Swirl Valentine's Day Wreath

My first idea was to swag pompom trim over the arrow, but I decided it was too much! What do you think?

4. Hanger: Twist together ends of a 4” length of chenille stem. Insert and glue the hanger into the center back of the wreath.

DIY Chenille Swirl Valentine's Day Wreath

I chose to arrange my chenille swirls in an ombre pattern, but I think a random design would be pretty, too.

Last year, my daughter shared her Origami Heart Wreath with us. This is a fun one for the kids, too. Folding the origami hearts is easy, and you can use a thick, white craft glue to attach them to the wreath.

DIY Valentine's Day Wreath origami hearts

DIY Valentine's Day Wreath

Sneak peek!

What do you think of the Tiny House movement? Could you live in one?

Don’t miss Friday – I’ll share another Valentine’s Day Wreath . . .

This entry was posted in Craft Tutorial, Kid's Crafts, Valentine's Day Craft, Wreaths and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to DIY a Chenille Swirl Valentine’s Day Wreath with the kiddos

1. Beautiful creation!! Looking forward to seeing more creativity.
    Please visit my blog as well and will really appreciate any suggestions or feedback.

Thank you for stopping in, and I’m so glad you found Crafts ‘n Coffee. You have some beautiful art on your blog — keep on sharing! Happy crafting! Sharon

2. Angie Dyer says:

Beautiful Valentine’s Day wreaths! I agree with Anne above, those were called pipe cleaners. Chenille does sound much better of a name. The red, pink, and white colors are so very festive.
    Thank you for sharing!

3. Victoria Rietdyk says:

Love these!!! Based in U.K. and have been looking for valentines door wreath to create…thank you!

What fun! Are there special Valentine’s Day customs celebrated in the U.K.? I wonder how similar Valentine’s Day in the U.K. is to the day we celebrate in the U.S.? Thanks for stopping in today. Sharon

4. Really do like the Chenille Wreath. Very unique.
    The Arrow has a lot of
    Gold, so instead of White
    I was thinking of using Gold.
    Some ideas floating in my mind,
    but until I sketch it out on paper
    I can’t decide. What do you think
    of the color switch?
    Tiny house? Sure, in my
    back yard and just for me, a
    Tiny House would be perfection!

Ooh, gold chenille stems would be so pretty & sparkly! Let me know how your wreath turns out. I like where you’re going with your tiny house, too — you could create your own little she shed or studio! Now, that’s a great idea! Thanks for sharing! Sharon

5. Reblogged this on Crafty Boutique By Tam and commented:
    Such a great idea. I had to share. Very pretty!!

6. I absolutely LOVE this. That is so cute!!! Lovely for Valentines day decorating.

7. kerri says:

very pretty!

8. Anne Haun says:

Love this wreath idea – I call these chenille stems pipe cleaners!! I bet I am really agine myself calling them pipe cleaners. No, I could not live in a tiny house – I need space to breathe and move about freely!

😉 I remember calling them pipe cleaners, too. I’m not sure when the name switched. I’m with you on the tiny house — claustrophobic! Especially for those of us who are snowbound for days at a time. Thanks for stopping in! Sharon

9. Lynda says:

I really like this!

10. TanSisters says:

What a great idea!! Definitely doing this with the kids next year.

11. LOVELOVELOVE how this looks so velvety and soft!!! I think I have a couple bags of the chenille stems and might have to get Jenna busy creating swirls! Thanks for the inspiration!

That’s exactly how this wreath started, Barb — I had a stash of chenille stems on hand, and as you know, they’re so appealing and they call to you! I bet Jenna has a blast with this! Happy crafting, you two! Sharon

This is a cute and easy craft for Valentine’s Day. I like it with the ribbon pennants. Thanks again Sharon 🙂
    BTW I could NOT live in a tiny house. I have too much stuff.

I know! A tiny house has no storage space for all of these craft supplies, the fabric stash, the sewing machine, etc., etc. I’d need at least three tiny houses! 🙂 I’m so glad you like the wreath — thank you! Sharon