This lovely, Button LOVE Wall Art will push your buttons!

This DIY, Button LOVE Wall Art is a Valentine’s Day craft that will push your buttons – in a good way. It’s Valentine’s décor that’s both beautiful surprisingly easy to DIY. Designer Debi Schmitz pulled together a collection of cream, white and red buttons, and went to town pinning buttons and beads onto her sheet of STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam. You can’t go wrong, because if you don’t like how it looks, you simply re-pin your buttons. You could make it a family craft, and get the kids to help, too.

DIY Button Love Wall Art Valentine's Day decor

DIY Button Love Wall Art Valentine's Day decor

Button LOVE Wall Art by Debi Schmitz.

To make Button LOVE Wall Art, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 1” x 12” x 36” sheet
  • Buttons:
    • White/ivory, 1/8” – ¾” dia., at least 6 oz.
    • Red, ½” – ¾” dia., at least 3 oz.
  • Seed beads, one tube each:
    • 11/0 pearl
    • 6/0 pearl
    • 6/0 red
  • Sequin pins, 7/8”, two packages
  • Fabric, ½ yd in tan
  • Braid, 2 yds in ivory
  • Thick, white craft glue
  • Tools needed: Scissors; ruler; sharp pencil; serrated knife; bar of soap or old candle; fabric marker or chalk pencil; optional: iron; cutting mat & rotary cutter
DIY Button Heart Valentine's Day craft

Beautiful! You’ll layer white buttons and beads over the red, button heart.

To make Button LOVE Wall Art:

1. Cut in half the sheet of STYROFOAM Brand Foam, so you have two halves measuring 12” x 18”:

• Using ruler and sharp pencil, score a cutting line on the foam sheet.
  • Wax the serrated knife blade with a bar of soap or an old candle.
  • Cut on the scored line.
  • Save one half for a future project.

2. If needed, iron the fabric. Center the foam rectangle on the wrong side of a 22” x 16” piece of fabric and wrap the fabric to the back of the foam rectangle. Take care to neatly fold the fabric at the corners, just like wrapping a present. Pin and glue the fabric to the back of the foam rectangle. Trim away excess fabric.

3. Cover the back with a 19” x 13” fabric piece. Let glue dry and then trim away excess fabric.

4. Write the word “Love” in cursive with a fabric marker or chalk pencil on the front of the foam sheet. Draw a heart for the “o”. Use a ruler to keep keep it straight and centered.

DIY Button Heart Valentine's Day craft

Start by pinning on red buttons and beads for the heart.

5. Fill in the “o” or heart first. Thread a bead and a red button onto a sequin pin. Dip the point in glue and insert into the heart. Repeat, till the heart is filled. If you don’t like your original button placement, you can easily move them around before the glue sets.

DIY Button LOVE Wall Art Valentine's Day craft

Outline letters with a single layer of buttons first.

6. Spell out the remainder of the word “Love” using sequin pins threaded with pearl beads and white and cream buttons. Pin on a single button outline first, and then fill in with additional buttons as needed.

DIY Button LOVE Wall Art

Once you’ve added the first layer of buttons, pin on additional buttons and beads to fill out the letters.

7. Pin on a small, white and ivory button heart in the center of the red button heart.

8. Pin and glue braid around the outside edges.

9. Hanger: Dip ends of a U-pin in glue. With the pin pointing down, insert in the center back of the picture, 1-1/2” from the top. Carefully fold the pin up to create a hanger. Let glue dry. Or, use a metal picture hanger and dip nails in glue before adding the hanger to the back of the picture.

Valentine's Day decor DIY Button LOVE Wall Art

You could also make this for a Mother’s Day or wedding gift.

Patty Schaffer shared two Valentine’s Day button crafts a while back — a Sweetheart Button Wreath and Button Heart Mosaic. They’re still as beautiful today, and crafts people love to love.

DIY Button Wreath

Sweetheart Button Wreath

DIY Button Mosaic Heart Valentine's Day craft

Button Heart Mosaic

The Button LOVE Wall Art is so pretty, I would be tempted to leave it up year-round. It would also make a gorgeous Mother’s Day or wedding gift. How else would you use and display it?

DIY Valentine's Day Wall Art

This entry was posted in Craft Tutorial, Home Decor, Valentine's Day Craft, Wall Art and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to This lovely, Button LOVE Wall Art will push your buttons!

Love the idea of putting button wall art over the sewing machine. Great ideas!!

2. Amy Pinion says:

Those are some great ideas! I have some antique buttons from my grandmother and my Mom. This would be a beautiful picture to do and hang above the sewing machine that was my grandmother’s.

What special treasures! I love your idea of making a picture from your family buttons and hanging it above your grandma’s sewing machine. Beautiful memories! Let us know if you do it. Happy crafting, Sharon

3. Angie Dyer says:

I am feeling the love! Look out Valentine’s Day, here we come! Beautiful pink button heart shaped wreath. The buttons shaped into a heart are precious too. Love the L O V E spelled out. Years ago, my Mom had a dust rag bin. Clothing that was ready to be thrown away, but still had some use to it. Mom would clip off each button on a shirt and string them together to form a little circle. Then the string of buttons would go into her button box for future projects and sewing. Even as small children, it was fun to look at the fancy buttons and the plain buttons. Thank you for sharing these enjoyable projects!

I remember my mom saving the buttons from shirts, too. It is fun to sort through a big button stash, looking for hidden treasures. I hope you’re inspired to DIY a button craft this season! Happy button crafting! Sharon

Buttons 💕 Love the different ways they are used. I have Grandma’s button box. After I get a couple swaps finished I am going to try one of these. 😀

Those are special buttons, Lisa, and I’m sure you treasure them. It sounds like we all have a button collection stashed somewhere. Tell me more about your swaps, sounds like fun! Craft on! Sharon

5. these are pretty cool! Last Summer a friend picked me up 3 gallon size bags of buttons at a yardsale and they have been sitting in a drawer as I awaited ideas on how to use them! I might have to make her a piece of wall art to thank her! Thank YOU for the inspiration!

Wow, another fabulous button collection! Lucky you! I bet you find a lot of sweet treasures in those bags, and it will be fun to sort through them. Happy button crafting, Barb. Sharon

I used buttons once on a canvas picture I made to hang on a wall. They were different shades of blue in a swirl shape to symbolize the wind.

7. Anne Haun says:

I love these button projects – time to raid my three button jars. I have collected buttons over the last 20 years so I have lots of buttons!

Lucky you — I bet your button collection is fabulous! There’s a lot of inspiration awaiting you in those three jars — happy crafting! Sharon

8. Love it!😍😍

Hugz, Miss B.💋

9. This is very pretty =) Makes a huge statement. Very nice work!