This DIY, Button LOVE Wall Art is a Valentine’s Day craft that will push your buttons – in a good way. It’s Valentine’s décor that’s both beautiful surprisingly easy to DIY. Designer Debi Schmitz pulled together a collection of cream, white and red buttons, and went to town pinning buttons and beads onto her sheet of STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam. You can’t go wrong, because if you don’t like how it looks, you simply re-pin your buttons. You could make it a family craft, and get the kids to help, too.
To make Button LOVE Wall Art, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 1” x 12” x 36” sheet
- White/ivory, 1/8” – ¾” dia., at least 6 oz.
- Red, ½” – ¾” dia., at least 3 oz.
- Seed beads, one tube each:
- 11/0 pearl
- 6/0 pearl
- 6/0 red
- Sequin pins, 7/8”, two packages
- Fabric, ½ yd in tan
- Braid, 2 yds in ivory
- Thick, white craft glue
- Tools needed: Scissors; ruler; sharp pencil; serrated knife; bar of soap or old candle; fabric marker or chalk pencil; optional: iron; cutting mat & rotary cutter
To make Button LOVE Wall Art:
1. Cut in half the sheet of STYROFOAM Brand Foam, so you have two halves measuring 12” x 18”:
- Using ruler and sharp pencil, score a cutting line on the foam sheet.
- Wax the serrated knife blade with a bar of soap or an old candle.
- Cut on the scored line.
- Save one half for a future project.
2. If needed, iron the fabric. Center the foam rectangle on the wrong side of a 22” x 16” piece of fabric and wrap the fabric to the back of the foam rectangle. Take care to neatly fold the fabric at the corners, just like wrapping a present. Pin and glue the fabric to the back of the foam rectangle. Trim away excess fabric.
3. Cover the back with a 19” x 13” fabric piece. Let glue dry and then trim away excess fabric.
4. Write the word “Love” in cursive with a fabric marker or chalk pencil on the front of the foam sheet. Draw a heart for the “o”. Use a ruler to keep keep it straight and centered.
5. Fill in the “o” or heart first. Thread a bead and a red button onto a sequin pin. Dip the point in glue and insert into the heart. Repeat, till the heart is filled. If you don’t like your original button placement, you can easily move them around before the glue sets.
6. Spell out the remainder of the word “Love” using sequin pins threaded with pearl beads and white and cream buttons. Pin on a single button outline first, and then fill in with additional buttons as needed.
7. Pin on a small, white and ivory button heart in the center of the red button heart.
8. Pin and glue braid around the outside edges.
9. Hanger: Dip ends of a U-pin in glue. With the pin pointing down, insert in the center back of the picture, 1-1/2” from the top. Carefully fold the pin up to create a hanger. Let glue dry. Or, use a metal picture hanger and dip nails in glue before adding the hanger to the back of the picture.
The Button LOVE Wall Art is so pretty, I would be tempted to leave it up year-round. It would also make a gorgeous Mother’s Day or wedding gift. How else would you use and display it?