The Chinese New Year on January 28 ushers in the Year of the Rooster. According to Chinese astrology, it’s a year in which loyalty, hard work, family, and looking good will matter. Today I have a Rooster craft the kids can make to explore new cultures and holiday traditions, and to celebrate the year of the Rooster. Check out his flashy, bright blue tail – I think this Rooster is already “looking good”!
To make a Rooster, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- One 3” egg
- Two, 3” x 2” cones
- Acrylic craft paints in gold, burnt orange, tan
- Craft foamie scraps in red
- Chenille stems, three in tan
- Feathers, five large and four small in blue (or other color of your choice)
- Wiggle eyes, two 10mm
- Thick, white craft glue
- Tools needed: Scissors; pencil; paintbrush; toothpicks; plastic knife
To make a Rooster:
1. Make the head and the beak:
- Measure down 1-1/4” from the top of one cone and cut off the tip. The tip is the beak, and the bottom is the head.
- Round the top of the head by shaping the cut edges with your fingers.
- Make small, ½” cuts around the bottom of the head, and round them with your fingers to form scallops.
- Using fingers, form an indentation in the bottom of the head so that it will fit on the narrow end of the egg.
- Break a toothpick in half, dip ends in glue, and then pick and glue the head to the narrow end of the egg.
- Dip ends of a toothpick half in glue and pick and glue the beak to the head.
2. Tail: You’ll cut off the base of the second cone on an angle, so it fits snugly against the body. Measure down 2” from the point, and then draw a diagonal line across the cone from this point to the bottom of the cone. Cut on this line and use the larger piece for the tail. Use fingers to shape the cut side so it fits snugly on the egg. With the point up, pick and glue the cone piece to the back of the rooster.
3. Paint the rooster’s body burnt orange; the head gold; and the beak tan. Let dry completely.
4. Cut crown and wattles from red foamie and glue to head. Glue on the eyes.
5. Glue on the feathers:
- One small feather on each side (wings)
- One large feather to bottom of tail
- Two large on top of the tail
- One large on each side of tail
- One small on each side of tail to cover the seam
- Bend large feathers down on ends.
6. Make the feet:
- Bend a chenille stem 2-1/2” from end. This is the leg.
- Make four, 1” folds, forming three toes.
- Wrap end around toes to secure.
- Bend ends up for legs.
- Cut a 3” piece from the second chenille stem and bend in half; twist around ankle to form the back toe.
- Repeat for second foot.
- Dip end of leg in glue and insert into body.
7. Arrange toes so rooster will stand.
Linda Valentino shared this Rooster with us. The Chinese Dragon Puppet Kathleen George shared a few years ago is also amazing! The kids will love it, but will definitely need an adult to help them make it.
Do you have plans to celebrate the Chinese New Year?