How to make a Sock Penguin

It’s Penguin Awareness Day and to celebrate, Debra Quartermain is sharing an adorable, DIY Sock Penguin. This little penguin got the memo about casual Friday and instead of a fancy tux, Debra’s little penguin sports a casual, polka-dot turtleneck sweater. Too cute! Debra and others have shared oodles of penguins on Crafts ‘n Coffee, and I’ve also linked to a round up of penguin crafts.  (If you love a good sock craft, don’t miss Debra’s Sock Owls.)

DIY Sock Penguin

Sock Penguin by Debra Quartermain.

To make a Sock Penguin, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: One each 1-1/2” and 3” balls
  • Socks: one white tube sock and one polka dot sock
  • Felt, 9” x 12” sheet in white, black and orange
  • Buttons: two ¼” and two ½”, in pastel colors
  • Pompoms: 1” in white and 2” in black
  • Pearl head quilt pins in black, two
  • Floss, ½ yd. in white
  • Powdered blush or chalk in pink
  • Thick, white craft glue
  • Low-temp glue gun
  • Tools needed: Scissors; pencil; paper; ruler; round toothpick

To make a Sock Penguin:

1. Build the body: Press one side of the 3” ball on a tabletop, flattening it so that it will stand on its own. Press one side of the 1-1/2” ball on the table. Pick and glue the two balls together by placing a dab of glue on the ends of the toothpick, and inserting it into the round top of the 3” ball and the flattened side of the 1-1/2” ball. Add glue and press the two pieces firmly together.

2. Stretch the white tube sock over the body, beginning with the head. Pull the sock all the way down so it covers the bottom ball. Cut off the excess sock, and stretch and glue the ends to the bottom of the ball. Add pins if needed to help hold the sock in place. Keep the sock as smooth as possible so the penguin will stand.

3. Sweater: Measure 5” down from the top (cuff) of the sock, and cut. With the cut edge at the top and the cuff at the bottom, pull the tube down over the penguin. Roll the top of the sock tube at the neck to make a turtleneck. Glue two ½” buttons to front.

4. Cut another 5” length of sock and turn inside out. Tie off one end with floss for top of hat. Turn right side out. Roll up open end 1” to make a cuff. Stretch the hat onto the penguin’s head. Glue two 1/4” buttons to the cuff.

5. Blush cheeks. Insert quilt pins for eyes.

6. Using the patterns, cut out the following:

• A beak and two feet from orange felt.
  • Two feet and two wings from white felt.
  • Two wings from black felt.

7. Pinch beak in half and glue in place.

8. Glue the white feet to the orange feet, and the white wings to the black wings.

9. Glue feet to bottom of penguin. Glue wing ends to either side of penguin.

10. Glue white pompom to top of hat and black pompom in place as tail.

DIY Sock Penguin

Don’t you love his casual wardrobe?

Adorable! If you’re looking for a more formal penguin, suited up in tux, or penguins skiing, sledding, fishing, or even napping, don’t miss this Penguin Craft Round Up.

The best DIY penguin crafts! CraftsnCoffee.com.Who has crafty, weekend plans? I’ll be at Creativation in Phoenix, which is the new name for the CHA (Craft & Hobby Association) Show. It’s a new name, new venue, new adventure! I also hope to see Debra Quartermain while I’m at the show. You can stop in and say “hello” to Debra right now over on her blog.

This entry was posted in Christmas Crafts, Craft Tutorial, Fabric Craft, Kid's Crafts, Recycle Crafts, Wintertime Crafts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to How to make a Sock Penguin

1. AnnaDecou says:

Awesome! I love it! Sweet, cute! 😀

These guys are so cute. I will be on the look out for some socks. These are on my list of to make list!

😄 be sure to check you pile of mismatched socks, too – you may already have what you need. I know I could probably make at least a dozen colorful penguins from my sock pile, lol! Happy crafting, Lisa. Sharon

Adorable!! The buttons add a fun touch.

4. Angie Dyer says:

Penguin Day is new to me this year. We all adore penguins. They are the happiest little creatures. I finally figured out about Pirate Day in the autumn. Now, I am going to get all the 411 on Penguin Day. This little guy looks precious. I love that we are recycling products too. Have a super weekend!

Thanks, Angie! There seems to be a day for everything, right? And Penguin Awareness Day is a fun one! I hope you get to DIY a Sock Penguin and put a lonely, mismatched sock to good use! Sharon

5. Deb Kaste says:

Love this penguin!

6. Anne Haun says:

Cute penguins!!

7. So jealous! Enjoy the show! I would give my right arm to be able to attend Creativation one day! Hope you DO get to meet up with Debra Quartermain while you are there! Have fun and get lots of swag!
    Love this adorable penguin and all of his buddies too! So adorable!!
    No Jenna comments today as she has a fever of over 101.8 and is dozing off and on when she isn’t getting sick. I feel so bad for her! All she wants to do is lay with her head on my lap and have her back rubbed! I feel honored that I am the only one worthy of doing this for her today.
    Have a great weekend and remember to take lots of pictures to share! 🙂

Aww, I hope Jenna is feeling better! I told Debra that you said “hello” and she says “hello” back and loves your comments! I skipped a lot of the swag – I have to haul it home and that’s not so fun! Thanks, Barb! Sharon

Hi Sharon, Happy Penguin Awareness Day! I went over to Debra’s site and she has the cutest Cozy Comfort Cow Carrier craft- that’s a tongue twister:) Hope you have fun at the Creativation event.

😄 I hope you had a fun celebration for Penguin Awareness Day and made a Sock Penguin! I met up with sweet Debra yesterday and am now on my way back home. I can’t wait to tell you more about it! Sharon