DIY classic Starburst Ornaments made with toothpicks

These Starburst Ornaments are a favorite DIY ornament. They’re easy enough for kids to make, and cool enough that adults love them, too. The retro, sputnik style glistens with a lavish sprinkling of glitter, and humble toothpicks never looked so glamorous! The best part – you can make these Starburst Ornaments in five easy steps. Get the kids in on it, make a pile of these Starburst Ornaments, and you can go from decorating your Christmas tree to a sparkling New Year’s Eve Centerpiece!

DIY Glittered Starburst Christmas Ornaments with toothpicks and Styrofoam balls

To make Starburst Ornaments, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 1-1/2” balls
  • Toothpicks, 50 per ball
  • Acrylic craft paint in gold metallic
  • Micro glitter in gold
  • Satin ribbon, 1/8” wide
  • Mod Podge
  • Thick, white craft glue
  • Tools needed: Wooden skewer; stiff bristle paintbrush; box top or newspaper

To make Starburst Ornaments:

1. Insert a skewer into the ball of STYROFOAM Brand Foam to use as a handle. Paint the ball gold, and let dry.
  2. Insert 50 toothpicks, evenly spaced, all around the ball.
  3. Brush a generous coat of Mod Podge onto the foam ball and all sides of the toothpicks.
  4. While the Mod Podge is still wet, sprinkle generously with gold micro glitter. Work over a cookie sheet or gift box so you can reuse the excess glitter. Let dry.
  5. Remove the skewer. Knot together the ends of an 8” length of ribbon. Squeeze glue into the hole left behind by the skewer, and insert the knot into the hole.

DIY Glittered Starburst Ornaments with toothpicks and Styrofoam balls.

If the kids are looking for something to do over Christmas vacation, put them in charge of making this dazzling, New Year’s Eve Centerpiece.

DIY Retro Starburst Christmas Tree with Starburst Ornaments made with toothpicks and Styrofoam balls. s

Retro Starburst Christmas Tree

How’s your Christmas prep going? Are the cookies baked, tree decorated and gifts wrapped? Or are you still working down the list? I know I have a long way to go!

Happy Christmas crafting.

This entry was posted in Christmas Ornaments, Craft Tutorial, Deco Spheres, Entertaining, Gift Ideas, Kid's Crafts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to DIY classic Starburst Ornaments made with toothpicks

That tree is awesome!! The ornaments are great, too, but the tree would look great on a mantle or table. Another great holiday craft idea!!

Thanks! I was just thinking this morning how you could add a little more sparkle to the Starburst Tree if you threaded on a string of angel lights . . . that would really make it special! Happy crafting. Sharon

2. Angie Dyer says:

I love everything that glitters! This looks like a fun craft for parents and kids or grandparents and kids to do. Merry Christmas!

I think you’re the Glitter Queen, Angie, and I agree — this is a great group craft for families, scout troops, classrooms, neighborhoods, craft clubs, etc. I hope you’re having a sparkling season! Sharon

3. Lane says:

I have a toothpick tree that belonged to my grandmother in the early ’70’s. It was coated with spray snow and decorated with tiny glass balls. I still like love putting it out every year!

4. Anne Haun says:

These are so pretty – love the sparkle.

🙂 These would make any tree extra sparkly, especially with the lights on. You could always change up the glitter, too, and make these Starbursts silver, red, pink — just about any color. Craft on, Anne! Sharon

5. Beautifulk! I really love these! So much fun.I am pretty sure that Jenna will have a blast making these too! We are working on what she is giviing as presents this year and I think these will make it on that list! TFS!.