These Starburst Ornaments are a favorite DIY ornament. They’re easy enough for kids to make, and cool enough that adults love them, too. The retro, sputnik style glistens with a lavish sprinkling of glitter, and humble toothpicks never looked so glamorous! The best part – you can make these Starburst Ornaments in five easy steps. Get the kids in on it, make a pile of these Starburst Ornaments, and you can go from decorating your Christmas tree to a sparkling New Year’s Eve Centerpiece!
To make Starburst Ornaments, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 1-1/2” balls
- Toothpicks, 50 per ball
- Acrylic craft paint in gold metallic
- Micro glitter in gold
- Satin ribbon, 1/8” wide
- Mod Podge
- Thick, white craft glue
- Tools needed: Wooden skewer; stiff bristle paintbrush; box top or newspaper
To make Starburst Ornaments:
- Insert a skewer into the ball of STYROFOAM Brand Foam to use as a handle. Paint the ball gold, and let dry.
- Insert 50 toothpicks, evenly spaced, all around the ball.
- Brush a generous coat of Mod Podge onto the foam ball and all sides of the toothpicks.
- While the Mod Podge is still wet, sprinkle generously with gold micro glitter. Work over a cookie sheet or gift box so you can reuse the excess glitter. Let dry.
- Remove the skewer. Knot together the ends of an 8” length of ribbon. Squeeze glue into the hole left behind by the skewer, and insert the knot into the hole.
If the kids are looking for something to do over Christmas vacation, put them in charge of making this dazzling, New Year’s Eve Centerpiece.
How’s your Christmas prep going? Are the cookies baked, tree decorated and gifts wrapped? Or are you still working down the list? I know I have a long way to go!
Happy Christmas crafting.