November 1 and it’s game on, Christmas crafters! Whether you started your Christmas crafting in January, or you’re just now ready to jump in, this cute-as-a-button, Button & Beads Tabletop Tree belongs on your DIY list. Designer Patty Schaffer chose classic red & green for her tree, and this Christmas topiary adapts easily to any color scheme, from winter whites to sparkling metallics. To help kick-start this craftiest of seasons, I’m announcing a Crafts & Cocoa Giveaway, too. Let’s fire up the glue guns and go!
To make a Button & Beads Tabletop Tree, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 9” cone (or other size of your choice)
- Scrapbook paper, four sheets in coordinating colors and patterns
- Buttons, in coordinating colors
- Beads, in coordinating colors
- Pearl head pins in white, or other color
- Beading pins, ¾”
- Ink pad & sponge applicator
- Tools needed: Scissors; 1-1/4” circle punch*
*If you don’t have a circle punch, use a quarter as your template and cut out the circles with scissors.
To make a Button & Beads Tabletop Tree:
1. Punch 20 – 25 circles from each patterned paper. (You may need more as you go.)
2. Ink the edges of the paper circles with the sponge applicator.
3. Starting at the bottom of the cone, pin on the paper circles using the beading pins. Continue to pin the circles onto the cone, overlapping as you go. You do not need to pin on the circles in neat rows; Patty pinned hers on at random.
5. Decorate the tree by pinning on buttons and beads with pearl head pins.
A few years ago, Patty shared her Paper Loop Christmas Cone with us, and you can see how easy it is to change up your papers to change the look.
Don’t throw out your paper scraps! Use your leftover papers to make Patty’s Pretty Paper Ornaments.
We’ve had some chilly nights here, and this morning, my daughter asked for a cup of cocoa to drink on her way to school. So, it’s time for the Crafts & Cocoa Giveaway! The giveaway includes:
- Crafts ‘n Coffee wintertime mug
- Hot cocoa samples
- $25 gift card to your choice of Michaels, Jo-Ann Stores or Hobby Lobby.
To enter, tell me what you’re crafting for Christmas this year. I can’t wait to hear what you’re making! Leave your comments below by midnight on Thursday, November 10, and I’ll announce the winner on Friday, November 11.
Thank you, and happy crafting!