How to DIY a super-cozy, candle-lit, Plaid Flannel Wreath

I’ve made a lot of wreaths, and shared even more, but I’ve never seen a Christmas wreath like the one Debi Schmitz shares with us today. After wrapping her Cozy, Plaid Christmas Wreath in a warm & welcoming plaid flannel, Debi added a trio of battery-operated candles. Wow, does this amp up the warm and cozy (and cool!) factor. I’ve never seen a wreath like this, have you? I don’t think you can find a more welcoming, DIY Christmas wreath than this cozy, candle-lit, Plaid Flannel Wreath.

DIY Christmas wreath with battery-powered candles! CraftsnCoffee.com.

To make a Cozy Plaid Wreath, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam, 12” x 2” wreath; 2” x 2” x 6” scrap
  • Flannel fabric, 2/3 yd.
  • Silk evergreen and/or spruce stems, four (optional: be sure at least one includes pine cones)
  • Gold berries, one stem
  • Ribbon, gold lamé, 5/8” x 2 yds.
  • Battery operated candles, 2″ dia., and 4″, 3″ and 2″ tall
  • Thick, white craft glue
  • Low-temp glue gun
  • Tools needed: Scissors; ruler; sharp pencil; serrated knife and old candle or bar of soap; wire cutter; U-pins; craft pins; round toothpicks; optional: rotary cutter and rotary cutting mat.
Such a cozy wreath! Very welcoming for the holidays. CraftsnCoffee.com.

Between the plaid flannel and the warm glow of the candles, this is the coziest wreath ever!

To make a Cozy Plaid Wreath:

1. Cut the flannel fabric into approximately 1-½” strips. Wrap the wreath in the flannel strips, pinning and gluing each end to the back of the wreath. Overlap the strips as you go, making sure to cover the wreath completely.

DIY a cozy, plaid flannel wreath on CraftsnCoffee.com.

2. Create the platform for the candles:

• Cut out the wreath insert pattern, and pin the pattern to the 2” thick scrap of STYROFOAM Brand Foam.
  • Using a sharp pencil, trace around the pattern, scoring the foam.
  • Wax the serrated knife with an old candle or bar of soap, and cut out the wreath insert.
  • Check the fit to be sure the insert fits snugly in the lower curve of the wreath. If needed, sand the insert to fit using a scrap piece of foam.

3. Cover the insert with flannel fabric.

The coziest Plaid Flannel Wreath. CraftsnCoffee.com.

4. Insert and glue three toothpicks in the rounded edge of the insert. Pick and glue the curved insert into the wreath.

5. Cut a 10″ x 3″ strip of flannel, and pin and glue to the back of the wreath so that it extends above the insert. This strip will help hold the candles in place.

DIY a Cozy, Plaid Flannel Wreath on CraftsnCoffee.com.

6. Hanger: Place glue on ends of a U-pin and insert in the center back of the wreath.

7. Decorate the wreath:

• Cut the evergreen and spruce stems into 4 – 6 pieces, and the bead stem into 2-3 shorter lengths.
  • Arrange the stems at the bottom of the wreath.
  • Secure with low-temp glue and U-pins.
  • Using U-pins, loop an extra strip of flannel through the arrangement.
  • Make a bow with 4-1/2” loops and 12” tails from the gold ribbon. Pin and glue in place.

8. Place the candles on the platform.

So warm and inviting! DIY this Cozy Plaid Wreath on CraftsnCoffee.com.

The candles are not attached, so you can easily remove them to turn them on and off.

What do you think of Debi’s wreath? Have you ever thought to add battery-operated candles to a wreath? I don’t think it could be any more cozy, do you?

Update: Yikes, I forgot to include these Mad for Plaid & Paisley Ornaments in the original post, so I’m adding them now. If you have leftover plaid fabric scraps after making the wreath, then check out the pretty plaid ornaments Patty Schaffer shared with us earlier!

Wrap & Go Ornaments

Rag Ball Ornaments

Patchwork Fabric Ornament

Super easy, and made from old shirts! Great DIY gift idea, too. CraftsnCoffee.com.

Happy almost Halloween weekend!

This entry was posted in Christmas Wreaths, Craft Tutorial, Fabric Craft, Wintertime Crafts, Wreaths and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to How to DIY a super-cozy, candle-lit, Plaid Flannel Wreath

1. Pingback: 11 Classy Buffalo Check & Plaid Christmas Projects – Veranda Ideas

2. Pingback: cf.Cheesespoons | Thily Fin

3. SleepyTown says:

such a cool idea! I love the idea of wrapping things in fabric. Its a cool way to use all the fabric scraps i have around the house!

4. Diane W says:

I think this wreath is just perfect for the holidays. I love it! I will have to make this one for sure. Thank you for the inspiration.

I agree with cozy – this wreath would really warm up a room! Add a fire in the fireplace and you have a perfect holiday evening!! Love the wreath!

6. This is great the flannel makes it homey yet the gold ribbon takes it to the elegant side.good work!

I’m so glad you like it, thank you! All kudos go to designer Debi Schmitz, who shares this pretty creation with us. I hope you find the time to DIY your own! Sharon

7. Angie Dyer says:

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas! What an adorable winter or Christmas wreath! Using the red plaid material really sets the tone for a fun Christmas design. I particularly like how you have staged the battery operated candles. They are secure and beautiful. I think any one would love to receive this as a gift. And be certain to make a second one for yourself too! Happy crafting!

‘Tis the season, Angie, and it’s all about the Christmas crafts, isn’t it? Though I know that a lot of readers craft for Christmas all year long. You are so right — this would make a beautiful gift, I know I’d love to receive it! What are you working on for Christmas? Happy crafting! Sharon

Love this wreath. I am so making something like this one. Now to go get some material!

Hooray! I’m really glad you like this wreath! It was a new idea to me, and I love how cozy it looks with the candles. Now I’m scheming of other ways to use these candles in a wreath . . .(Don’t forget to check your closet for fabric, too — you could use an old plaid, flannel shirt for the wreath.) Craft on, Lisa! Sharon

9. Kathryn Frisina says:

I really like the xmas and or
    thanksgiving (w/a few changes
    in colors) wreaths with the
    candles. I never thought of
    using candles but a great idea!

How can I print a copy of
    finished wreath and instructions.
    Thank you!
    Kathryn

Hi Kathryn,

Thanks so much for stopping by, and I’m glad you want to try the wreath! If you go to the end of the post, you should see a little printer icon — click on this icon, and it will pull up the instructions in a printable format. Let me know if this works for you. Happy crafting! Sharon

• Kathryn Frisina says:

Sharon, thanks for your repy. I must have passed the little printer icon at
        least 3-4 times W/out seeing it.😊
        Unfortunately, I ended up with all of the comments, one pic of the wreath,
        and nothing more. I’m still going to make it.
        Kathryn

Oh no, I am so sorry! You could also copy and paste the page onto a blank document. Good luck with the wreath, and do let me know how it turns out! Happy crafting! Sharon

10. Brenda Ackerman says:

This is a gorgeous wreath! Thank you for sharing it and the tutorial! I know I will be making one of these! Have a fantastic creative day!

11. Debbie’s wreath is very homey and comforting! I really love the addition of the candles! I think they make it that much more inviting! Definitely adding this to my want to make list!
    I have been in bed sick since last Friday and not seeming to feel any better! Think it might be time to stop being stubborn and let hubby take me to the hospital tonight. Maybe then I can get back to crafting and hanging with my beautiful Jenna! She is missing the time we usually spend together and so am I!
    Thanks for sharing another wonderful project! 🙂

Oh no! I am so sorry that you’re not feeling well, and I hope you were able to see the doctor. The sooner you’re feeling better, the sooner you can see Jenna and get back to creating! Let us know how you’re doing, Barb! Take care! xo, Sharon

• Today is the first day in almost 2 weeks that I have felt almost human so I think I am on the road to recovery! Thanks for your concern! 🙂 That is what I love about this community! Everyone is so caring!

Wonderful news — I am so happy to hear that you’re on the mend! I hope you and Jenna will be crafting again soon! xo, Sharon

12. piratepatty says:

Someone just gave me a huge bag of flannel extras.Last night trying to figure out what to do with them. This is perfect! Thank you for the directions!

13. Anne Haun says:

I love this wreath and so easy to do – thanks for sharing/