No-Sew Woodland Critters: DIY a Sleepy Hedgehog with easy supplies

You don’t need anything fancy to make this delightful Sleepy Hedgehog, and the supply list is refreshingly short. Designer Debra Quartermain starts with a sock and a foam egg, adds some felt, and eight steps later, you’re done! No sewing required. Younger kids will want to play with this little hedgie, and older kids can DIY their own. If you missed it, be sure to check out Debra’s no-sew Sock Owl, too.

Adorable! DIY this no-sew, Sleepy Hedgehog on CraftsnCoffee.com.

Great idea for scouts -- DIY a no-sew Sock Owl! CraftsnCoffee.com.

You could also make the Sleepy Hedgehog from colorful socks and felt, like I did with the Sock Owls.

Fun! Make these easy Sock Owls from patterned socks, felt and Styrofoam eggs. CraftsnCoffee.com.

To make a Sleepy Hedgehog, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 5-7/8″ x 3-7/8″ egg
  • Tube sock in beige
  • Felt: 12” x 18” in walnut brown; small piece in ivory
  • Embroidery floss, 1 yd in black
  • Pompom, ½” in brown
  • Fabric adhesive
  • Tools needed: Scissors; chalk; embroidery needle; straight pins; ruler
So cute! Easy and no-sew, too. DIY Sleepy Hedgehog on CraftsnCoffee.com.

Sleepy Hedgehog by Debra Quartermain

To make a Sleepy Hedgehog:

1. Press one side of the egg against the tabletop, flattening it so it will not roll. This will be the bottom of the hedgehog.
  2. Stretch the sock over the egg, inserting the narrow end of the egg first. Push the egg all the way into the toe, which will be the hedgehog’s nose.
  3. Cut off the excess sock, leaving enough to cover the wide end of the egg. Overlap the ends of the sock, and pin and glue in place, to cover the wide end of the egg.
  4. Thread needle with floss, and anchor the floss at the bottom of the egg. Push the needle through the narrow end of the egg to the side of the face. Make a 1” stitch for an eye. Repeat for the second eye.
  5. Glue the pompom nose in place.
  6. Cut four, 3” by 12” strips of brown felt. Fold felt strips in half lengthwise, and glue edges together. Cut fringe along the fold, cutting to within ¼” of the glued edge. Repeat for all four strips.
  7. Starting at the narrow end of the egg, pin a fringed strip along the bottom edge, and wrap it around the hedgehog’s body to the opposite side. Pin and glue the strip in place. Add the second felt strip, positioning it so the first strip slightly overlaps the second strip. Repeat, adding more strips till the hedgehog is covered; Debra used five fringed strips for her hedgehog.
  8. Cut a 2” square from ivory felt. Fold in half and cut a curved, 1″ oval for the ear. Unfold the ear and using it as a pattern, cut three more. For each ear, glue two together. Pinch together one end on each ear, and glue to either side of the head.

If you love hedgehog crafts like I do, here are two more you might like.

Toothpick Hedgehog

Easy kids' craft: How to make an adorable hedgehog from toothpicks, paint, and an egg of STYROFOAM Brand Foam.

Toothpick Hedgehog by Kathleen George

Yarn Baby Porcupine

(We called it a porcupine, but I think it could be a hedgehog??)

Tutorial to make the sweetest Yarn Baby Porcupine. So sweet! #KidsCrafts

Yarn Baby Porcupine by Kathleen George

Debra shares one more no-sew Woodland Critter next week – the Dapper Sock Fox. I hope you’ll join me for it! And don’t miss the new Summertime Snowman on Tuesday.

These are all no sew, and made with socks, felt & foam. Easy, and so cute. CraftsnCoffee.com.

Happy crafting.

This entry was posted in Craft Tutorial, Fabric Craft, Kid's Crafts and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to No-Sew Woodland Critters: DIY a Sleepy Hedgehog with easy supplies

1. Pingback: Hedgehog Love - A Roundup of Adorable Craft Projects - Cheryl Boglioli Designs

2. Angie Dyer says:

How cute are your baby animals! Love the hedgehogs and the owls!

Thank you, and I’m so glad you like them! And, many thanks to Debra Quartermain for sharing these cuties with us. I am so tempted to create my own version of this little hedgie . . . Sharon

3. Masala Vegan says:

These are so cute, now all the single socks can be put to good use 😀

4. Pam B. says:

Once again, they are all so adorabe and very creative. Love them all! Will definitely be making some for our christmas fair at work.

Thank you so much, Pam! I’m so excited that you’ll share these with your sweet residents! I hope they love making them – let us know how it goes! Thank you! Sharon

Adorable all of them. No see what fun. Gads my list to make is getting bigger all the time. After I finish this wedding mini more crafting!

What are you working on for the wedding? Is there a theme? I know it will be beautiful! Keep us all posted! Sharon

• LisaM6 says:

I have a mini album and a wall hanging finished for the wedding. No theme that I know of, but she likes moose so I added them to each gift. Now to decide if I should make a recipe book like I did for her brother.

I love that you’re personalizing the album and wall hanging with a moose, that is so special! And of course you have to make a recipe book . . . 🙂 Send photos of it all — I’d love to see the projects! Craft on! Sharon

6. Oh!! How adorable!! LOVE the Hedgehog and the Yarn baby porcupine is a darling! Can’t wait to see more on that dapper fox! Stay cool this weekend!

Thanks, Barb, and I hope you’re keeping cool, too. How about a pink or pastel Sleepy Hedgie for Jenna? How fun would that be? Happy crafting! Sharon

• Great idea! She would love a pastel blue Sleepy Hedgie! Not sure why but she has always been attracted to all things blue! At least she has good taste since that is one of my favorite colors too! LOL

I’m a big fan of blue, too! Always have been. If you do make a true blue Hedgie, send a photo! Sharon

7. These are all adorable and will make special gifts for all ages this Christmas! Thank you so much for sharing the tutorials! Have a fantastic creative day!

Thank you, Brenda. Debra Quartermain is a favorite designer, and her sweet characters are irresistible. I’m so glad you’re enjoying her woodland critters. I hope you’re having a creative summer! Sharon

8. Anne Haun says: