This week’s Summertime Snowman craft is for all of the kids who are “too hot” and “so bored”. Everyone will chill out when making this Glittering Snowman Ornament. His scarf and hat are made with chenille stems – so easy! But kids can also dress up their DIY Snowman Ornament in other bits and pieces found around the house. Just think how pretty he’ll be glittering on your Christmas tree – and how you may very well wish for a warm July day in the middle of December!
To make a Glittering, Snowman Ornament, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 2” ball and 3” egg; scrap piece
- Chenille stems in orange and crystal white; 1/2″-dia. stem in red
- Pompom, ½” in sparkling red
- Black beads, two 7mm
- Buttons, three heart shaped
- Cord in silver (for hanging)
- Glitter in white or iridescent
- Powdered blush
- Mod Podge, matte finish
- Thick, white craft glue
- Tools needed: Scissors; plastic knife*; toothpick; wood skewer; old newspaper or a box lid; wide, soft paintbrush; straight pin
*Note: An adult should always supervise children when they’re crafting, and especially when they’re using the plastic knife.
To make a Glittering, Snowman Ornament:
1. Make the snowman body:
- Cut a thin slice from both ends of the foam egg.
- Squeeze glue onto one end of a toothpick, and insert it into the narrow end of the egg.
- Pick and glue the foam ball onto the egg.
2. Glitter the snowman:
- Cover your work surface with old newspaper, or work over a box lid.
- Insert the wood skewer into the bottom of the snowman and use it as a handle.
- Brush Mod Podge onto the snowman, and while it’s wet, sprinkle generously with glitter.
- Gently pat glitter with fingertips to be sure it’s adhered.
- Insert skewer into a scrap piece of foam while snowman dries.
- Carefully clean up the glitter and place it back into the container.
3. Make the snowman’s face:
- Glue bead eyes to face, pressing firmly to embed them in the foam.
- Cut an orange chenille stem into thirds; fold one piece in half and twist tightly to create the carrot nose. Insert and glue the nose to the face.
- Lightly blush the cheeks.
4. Wrap a jumbo chenille stem around the snowman’s neck for a scarf. Curl each end with your fingers.
5. Glue buttons down the center front.
6. Shape the hat:
- Wrap the 1/2″ red chenille stem into a tight coil, and glue to the head.
- Gently lift up the center of the coil to form a hat shape.
- Glue the crystal chenille stem around the base of the hat, and trim away the extra.
- Glue pom pom to tip of hat.
7. Knot together the ends on a 10″ length of cord. Pin knot to snowman wherever hanger will allow snowman to hang straight. Adjust as needed until you’re pleased with how he looks when hanging. Add dot of glue to secure.
Still “too hot” and “too bored”? Here are two more Snowman Crafts for kids:
Snowman Picture (made with plastic bags!)
What are your kids doing this summer? Just hanging out? Going to camp? Over here, my daughter has been busy with a few classes this summer, and she’s updating the Project Directory on Crafts ‘n Coffee.