Road Trip Recap: A Beach Glass Festival (and favorite Beach Glass Crafts)

Who could resist a festival celebrating beach glass? Especially when it’s a beautiful Saturday morning and the festival is in a charming, waterfront town. A few weeks ago, I took a short drive east, along Lake Erie, to attend the Ashtabula Harbor Beach Glass Festival. I’m sharing a few of the pretties I saw at the festival, along with some favorite DIY beach glass and sea glass crafts.

Beach glass festival in Ashtabula, Ohio. CraftsnCoffee.com.

The 2016 Ashtabula Harbor Beach Glass Festival

Downtown Ashtabula, Ohio. CraftsnCoffee.com.

Ashtabula has a charming downtown, and booths selling beach glass treasures lined the streets.

The festival was in downtown Ashtabula, a quaint little town on the Ashtabula River. Native Americans named the river, and it means “river of many fishes.” Vintage storefronts line the downtown streets, along with intriguing gift shops, restaurants, and even a chocolate shop.

Ashtabula River in Ashtabula, Ohio. CraftsnCoffee.com.

The town is right along the Ashtabula River.

Ashtabula River in Ashtabula, Ohio. CraftsnCoffee.com

Four-wheel traffic comes to a halt as boats pass under the bridge.

It was a sunny, blue sky day, perfect for enjoying the views, and the river that runs right through the downtown area. Four-wheel traffic often comes to a halt when the lift bridge raises for boat traffic. In the background, Jimmy Buffett music played, adding a beach vibe to the event.

Ashtabula Harbor Sea Glass Festival. CraftsnCoffee.com.

There were dozens of vendors selling wares of all sorts embellished with beach glass and other treasures.

Ashtabula Harbor Beach Glass Festival, CraftsnCoffee.com.

There were mermaids, too!

Cute-as-can-be for the garden. These concrete turtles are decorated with beach glass. CraftsnCoffee.com.

And turtles!

Of course, there was an astonishing amount and variety of beach glass. From gorgeous jewelry to resin toilet seats(!), the festival showcased the soft and sometimes vibrant hues of beach glass. I admired $15 pendants to lavish pieces of wearable art selling for hundreds of dollars. Besides jewelry, the booths included framed art, concrete garden décor, mobiles, birdhouses, greeting cards, mosaic windows, and so much more – all of it strikingly embellished with beach glass.

Lovely beach glass mosaics at the Ashtabula Harbor Beach Glass Festival. CraftsnCoffee.com.

I loved these windows, and wish I had a place to hang one.

Gorgeous window mosaic made with beach glass. Love the colors. CraftsnCoffee.com.

I love this window too. Where would you hang it?

Ashtabula Harbor Beach Glass Festival. CraftsnCoffee.com.

There were even greeting cards decorated with beach glass.

Other beach finds were turned into artwork, too, including crafts made with driftwood and polished rocks.

Driftwood & polished beach rocks. Love these! CraftsnCoffee.com.

I admired these pictures made with driftwood and polished beach rocks.

Fabulous! Made with finds from the beach. CraftsnCoffee.com.

Look at all of the found treasures on this birdhouse! This was another one of my favorite creations that I saw at the festival.

Maybe I’ll return to Ashtabula next month for the Wine & Walleye Festival!

Ashtabula, Ohio. CraftsnCoffee.com.

The Wine & Walleye Festival is next month.

If you want to DIY your own beach glass or sea glass crafts, I have a few, favorite beach glass crafts here on Crafts ‘n Coffee. If you’re not lucky enough to live on a beach where you can find beach glass or sea glass, no worries. Your local craft store sells sea glass by the bagful. So check out these projects made with beach glass and other found objects.

Sea Glass Mosaic Wreath

I love the soft shades of sea glass, and this Sea Glass Mosaic Wreath is simply gorgeous.

Sea Glass Mosaic Wreath

Driftwood & Seashell Wreath

This is a beautiful wreath! Perfect for those summer vacation beach finds. Tutorial on CraftsnCoffee.com.

Driftwood & Seashell Wreath

River Rock Mosaic Wreath

Another Summer Beach Wreath tutorial from Crafts 'n Coffee. This Polished River Rock Wreath is made with dollar store supplies (or of course, you could collect your own rocks).

Polished River Rock Mosaic Wreath

Driftwood Christmas Wreath

Driftwood Christmas Wreath

Driftwood Christmas Wreath

Sea Glass & Sand Orbs

sea glass & seashell crafts

Sea Glass & Sand Orbs

Sea Glass Topiary

Perfect for a coastal theme room! DIY your own Seashell and Sea Glass Mosaic Topiary Cones.

Sea Glass Topiary

Sea Glass Mosaic Candlesticks

how to make a sea glass mosaic centerpiece

Sea Glass Mosaic Candlesticks.

I know that there are other beach glass and sea glass festivals around the country – have you attended one?

This entry was posted in Gift Ideas, Home Decor, Mosaics, Road Trip Recap, Summer Crafts, Wreaths and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Road Trip Recap: A Beach Glass Festival (and favorite Beach Glass Crafts)

1. Wow, I never knew you could do so much with sea glass!

Beautiful beach glass crafts! I just love the colors of beach glass!!

3. Angie says:

What a fun festival! I had never heard of a sea glass festival before! Living in the Midwest, most of us have not had the pleasure of finding sea glass. We find lots of great driftwood locally on the river banks or lake shore and the hunt is such fun. Love what you have done with this sea glass. I’m going to have to investigate further!

Hi Angie, If you’re on one of the great lakes, you might be able to find beach glass. It washes up on the shores of Lake Erie all of the time, and I couldn’t believe the amount these artists collected. One woman had filled a huge glass canister in just a year’s time! Look into it and let me know what you find out. Craft on! Sharon

4. I remember the days when I was able to attend little events like this and really miss those days! I really love the windows! Especially the second one! I would hang it in the opening in the wall between our utility room and hallway!
    I think you should definitely go to the Wine and Walleye event! Looks like fun!! If not just drink lots of wine and make your own fun! LOL Have a great weekend!

Hi Barb, I know you have a fishing trip coming up — what do you anticipate catching? Are there walleye up there? Believe me, I keep thinking about where I might hang a window like that, but I really don’t think I have a good spot for it (and maybe that’s a good thing! 🙂 ). Glad you could stop by! Thanks! Sharon

• We went fishing on the 4th of July and the water was so rough that most were getting seasick so we went back to their camp and used the paddle boat to fish on the river. I was the Fishing Queen because I caught the most fish! Not bad considering that I haven’t fished in years! I caught Pumpkin Seeds, Suckers, Trout, Minnows and a few that I don’t know the names of.
        My son had been fishing all weekend at various places and did not catch ANYTHING! He was so mad that I out fished him! LOL
        We are hoping to go again so that Jenna can go with us and hope the wind is better so we can actually fish on the lake,
        Glad to be here!
        Barb

Fun times! I’m so glad you had a good time, and are now the reigning Fishing Queen! Fish on, Barb.

5. eileen hull says:

How pretty- who knew there was such a festival? I especially like the flower rocks on the driftwood. Thanks for sharing!

It was a fun morning, Eileen. I read that there’s another beach glass festival in Erie, PA in April, and a very large one on the west coast. Speaking of the west coast, is Paper Trail 10 coming through here?? Thanks for stopping in today! Sharon

6. Anne Haun says:

What fun! Love the wreaths.

Everything looks absolutely beautiful Sharon. The weather, the crafts, what a nice event. I have never attended an event like this but there’s plenty of beaches here. Enjoy your summer

Hi Katiria, I thought of you when I wrote this one – I bet there’s a celebration of sea glass somewhere near you. Do you find sea glass on your beach? I hope you’re having a wonderful summer, too! Enjoy! Sharon

• Katiria says:

I have found a few pieces but never enough of the same shade or size to make a craft. It’s easier to buy what I need LOL

Very true, but then you don’t get to walk the beach and watch the waves . . . Last time I walked the beach, I found just one piece, rather misshapen, too. Not much I can do with it, but I like looking at it.