A sweet, sparkling summertime watermelon craft

I bet you thought I’d have a patriotic craft today, right? Nope, I do not. Today is all about a summertime favorite – watermelon! Watermelon tastes like summer, don’t you think? I have an easy watermelon craft today that will decorate your home all through summer, and not just for July 4th. Topped off with sparkling glitter, this DIY, Sparkling Watermelon Centerpiece looks as refreshing as the real thing.

Cute and easy Watermelon to DIY! CraftsnCoffee.com.

These are easy enough – make extras to display in a bowl, or along the mantel.

To make a Sparkling Watermelon Centerpiece, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 6” and 9” cones, and 3” balls (or other sizes of your choice)
  • Acrylic craft paint in pink, green, black and white (if you can’t find the exact shades you’d like, purchase extras in lighter/darker shades for mixing)
  • Crystal glitter
  • Tools needed: Old newspapers; wooden skewers; stiff paintbrush; disposable bowls

To make a Sparkling Watermelon Centerpiece:

1. Spread newspaper over work surface. Insert a wooden skewer into the bottom of a cone or foam ball. This will be your handle while you paint.

2. Squeeze green paint into a disposable bowl, and if you like, mix in other shades to create “watermelon” green. Paint the lower portion of the cone, or the ball, green.

3. Squeeze white paint into a disposable bowl. Brush a narrow stripe along the edge of the green section, blending paint as you go, to create a light green stripe.

Cute idea -- how to paint Styrofoam balls to make a summertime watermelon centerpiece. CraftsnCoffee.com.

Brush on a thin stripe of white paint, blending as you go.

4. Squeeze pink paint into a disposable bowl, and if you like, mix in another shade or even a dash of red to create “watermelon” pink. Paint the remaining portion of the cone or ball pink.

Perfect for a summer party -- check out this tutorial for making a Watermelon Centerpiece. CraftsnCoffee.com.

Next, brush on pink paint.

5. Squeeze a small amount of black paint into a disposable bowl, and add a dab of white. Blend the two colors, and draw thin lines onto the watermelon for seeds.

6. While the paint is still wet, sprinkle liberally with glitter.

Don’t they look like summer?

Cute for a summertime party or picnic -- DIY Sparkling Watermelon Centerpiece on CraftsnCoffee.com.

I love the sparkle!

Watermelon is designer Patty Schaffer’s favorite fruit, and she can’t get enough of it in the summertime. Patty designed this Watermelon Wreath and shared it on Crafts ‘n Coffee a few summers ago.

A sweet summertime wreath! On my "must-make" summer craft list! CraftsnCoffee.com

How do you eat your watermelon – with or without salt? I prefer “without”.

I wish you a wonderful holiday weekend with family and friends. Stay safe!

Happy crafting.

This entry was posted in Craft Tutorial, Entertaining, Home Decor, Kid's Crafts, Summer Crafts and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to A sweet, sparkling summertime watermelon craft

1. Patty Schaffer says:

Oh. My. GOSH! I love this!!!!!!! So cute and pretty easy to make!

2. kelleysdiy says:

I absolutely love this….so cute!!!

What a refreshing craft!! Perfect summer decor!

4. Angie says:

Happy 4th of July Weekend to all! Watermelon is right in season and I love the red watermelons. No added salt for me, thank you very much! *giggles* Loving these two water melon projects. The glitter one is cute. I am thinking that you could even use a round flat sided Styrofoam piece and cut it like a pie. Would also be a fun twist on it. The wreath is adorable! High 5’s to all our military heroes and their families for supporting the USA! Home of the brave and home of the free! God Bless America!

Thank you for the lovely comment! I hope you celebrated July 4th. Great idea for slicing up a disc to look like watermelon — you could even add a ribbon and hang your “slice” on the door. That would be cute! Glad you stopped in. Sharon

• Katiria says:

Love your idea Angie!

Without for sure. Makes me want a slice right now. 🍉 Love these ideas the wreath and the glittered cones are so much fun.

I’m with you. I love salted caramel but no salt on my watermelon, please. I hope you enjoyed the holiday weekend and squeezed in a little craft time! Happy summertime crafting, Lisa. Sharon

6. Anne Haun says:

Everyone loves watermelon – cute project.

Mmmm … watermelon 🙂 Thanks for the ideas. I wish you all a safe and happy 4th of July weekend!!!!

I know — I have to add it to my grocery list this week, I don’t think we’ve had nearly enough watermelon this summer! This is making my mouth water! I hope you have a safe and festive weekend! Any plans? Enjoy! Sharon

• Katiria says:

We planned to go to a trampoline park and a water park, but it was a rainy weekend, some things were closed for the holiday and we got the directions wrong. The whole thing reminded me of “National Lampoon’s Vacation”, it would be funny if it wasn’t so frustrating.

Drat! Sorry about your “National Lampoon” holiday weekend! Time off to enjoy together as a family is hard to find, and how frustrating when plans go awry! I hope you have more fun planned for later this summer . . .? Sharon

8. Forgot to add: Have a safe and happy holiday weekend and remember those who gave all so we CAN celebrate!

9. What a great idea for BBQ decorating!! I think I have all the goods needed to make this! We are going on a family fishing trip next weekend thanks to a friend who has a HUGE boat and I think I might make these for the table!! Thanks for the inspiration!

And thank you for including this Watermelon Centerpiece in your plans for your fishing trip. It sounds like a wonderful trip — will you be on Lake Champlain? You live in a beautiful area, Barb. Enjoy the weekend and the trip! Sharon