Every time Debra Quartermain pulls out her fleece, felt, and STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam, you know you’re in for a treat. Debra’s Sweet Sock Snowman started off the Summertime Snowman Series, and today she shares her JOYful Snowman. If his whimsical face and bright colors don’t bring you JOY, nothing will. Debra shares a time-saving technique, too – what looks like whip stitch embroidery is really dimensional fabric paint. Phew! This is easier than I thought!
Maybe you remember this snowman’s cheerful face from the Summertime Snowman Series announcement.
To make a JOYful Snowman, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- 3” and 2” balls, one each
- 3” cubes, three (or, a 1” thick sheet, cut into three, 9” x 3” strips).
- Fleece fabric in white and lime green
- Cotton fabric in red & white check, 3″ x 22″
- Felt, 9″ x 12″ sheets: two white and one lime green; scrap of red
- Foam sheet (or foamie), small scrap in lime green
- Cording, 2 yds in red
- Fiber or yarn, ½ yrd in red
- Dimensional fabric paint in white
- Pompom, 2” in white
- Brads: two, 8mm in black; hearts, three in red
- Embroidery floss in red
- Cosmetic blush
- Fabric glue
- Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; serrated knife; candle stub or bar of soap; fine-line permanent marker in red; pencil; ruler; embroidery needle
To make a JOYful Snowman:
1. Wax the serrated knife with an old candle or a bar of soap. Cut the 2″ ball of STYROFOAM Brand Foam in half. Cut a thin slice from the bottom of the 3″ foam ball. Carefully clean the work surface so that the stray crumbs do not stick to the fleece fabric.
2. Cut out the felt and fleece pieces:
From the lime green fleece cut:
- 4″ x 9″ strip (hat)
- Two 4″ circles (mittens)
From the white fleece, cut:
- One, 8” circle
From the white felt, cut:
- Four, 3” x 9” white felt strips
- Two, 3” squares
From the lime green felt, cut:
- Letter O
- 1” square
From the red felt, cut:
- Letters J and Y
- Tiny oval (nose)
From the lime green foam sheet, cut:
- Small star
3. Build the foam base:
- Use glue gun to glue the 3” cubes together. (If using 3″ x 9″ strips, stack and glue them together to form a 9″ x 3″ x 3″ block.)
- Cover the sides with the 9” x 3” white felt strips.
- Glue the 3” felt squares on the ends.
- Glue red cording between the blocks and around the ends.
- Glue felt letters JOY to the blocks.
- Make tiny stitching lines on each letter with white dimensional paint.
- Let dry.
4. Add details:
- Wrap the 1” lime green felt square with red fiber or yarn to look like a package; tie a bow in front.
- Glue package near the base of the Y.
- Outline the felt star with the red marker. Glue to the J.
- Glue and insert heart brad into “O.”
5. Make the snowman’s head:
- Place 3″ foam ball, round side down, in center of 8”, white fleece circle.
- Wrap fleece around the ball and glue fleece to the flat side; trim excess fleece as needed.
- Using the tip of the scissors, make two small holes for the eyes, and glue the black brads in holes.
- Glue red felt nose to face.
- Apply blush to cheeks using fingertips.
6. Thread needle with three strands of floss; knot ends. Insert needle through back of head to center front, below eyes. Stitch a small smile and then take needle back through head. Glue head to top of the blocks.
7. Make the hat:
- Glue short edges of hat strip together; let dry.
- Sew a gathering stitch around one end of hat and pull stitches tight; knot ends.
- Turn hat right side out.
- Turn up brim, making a 1-1/2″ cuff and place hat on snowman’s head.
- Glue pompom to tip.
- Use white dimensional paint to make tiny stitch lines along the cuff; let dry.
- Glue and insert two heart-shaped brads in cuff.
8. Tie checked fabric scarf around neck; fringe ends 1″.
9. Cover 2″ foam half-balls with 4″ fleece circles in same way as head in Step 5. Glue hands on block, next to snowman’s head.
Just in case you missed it, here’s Debra’s Sweet Sock Snowman, the first in the Summertime Snowman Series.
Can you believe it’s almost July? What’s on your summer bucket list? Have you crossed off anything yet?