A Shark Week craft for kids: DIY a Shark Pencil Holder

Shark Week, that annual celebration and exploration of everything shark, starts June 26th on the Discovery Channel. If you know a Shark Week fan, then do not miss this Shark Pencil Holder. I wouldn’t want to meet a shark in the ocean, but on a desktop, this pencil holder is pretty fun! Sometimes, it’s hard to find crafts for boys, so hang on to this one – they will love it! (And I’m sharing a little news about me and The Pioneer Woman, too!)

Cute craft for Shark Week, or save for the Scout troop. CraftsnCoffee.com

Shark Pencil Holder by Kathleen George

To make a Shark Pencil Holder, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 6” egg
  • Acrylic craft paint in gray
  • Foam craft sheets in gray, red and white
  • Wiggle eyes, ½”, two
  • Tools needed: Scissors; plastic knife*; large Phillips screwdriver

*Note: Always supervise kids when crafting, and especially when cutting with the plastic knife.

To make a Shark Pencil Holder:

1. Using a plastic knife, make an angled cut toward the wide end so that the egg sits on an angle, with the narrow end tilting up. (Carefully supervise the kids as they cut the foam shapes in half with a plastic knife.)

2. Cut a pie-shaped wedge out of the narrow end to form the open mouth. Refer to the photo for placement.

3. Center and cut a 3½”- long slit toward the back of the head. You’ll insert the fin into the slit in Step 9.

4. Make holes to hold pencils using a Phillips screwdriver. Push the screwdriver straight down into the thick part of the shark head and gently rotate to enlarge the hole so that it will easily hold a pencil.

5. Paint the shark head gray; do not paint inside the mouth. Let paint dry.

Fun craft for Shark Week -- DIY Shark Pencil Holder. CraftsnCoffee.com

Look at those jaws!

6. Place a sheet of red craft foam inside the mouth, resting on the bottom jaw. Trace around the outside edge of the mouth. Cut out this piece, ⅛” inside the pencil line. Glue the foam inside the mouth.

7. Repeat Step 6 for the top of the shark’s mouth.

8. Cut out triangle teeth from the white foam sheet. Glue the teeth in the mouth along the edge of the red foamie.

9. Cut out a fin from gray craft foam and glue into the slit in the shark head.

10. Glue on ½” wiggly eyes.

11. Optional: Trace around the bottom of the shark on the sheet of gray craft foam. Cut out and glue to the bottom of the shark.

It's hard to find crafts for boys, and this one is great! CraftsnCoffee.com.

Shark Pencil Holder by Kathleen George.

Do you follow Shark Week? Or do you know someone who does?

Or, maybe you’re a fan of The Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond? I know I’m a big fan and I’ve followed her for years. In fact, when we made our Cupcake Bouquet, I made sure we used one of her pretty bowls for the base.

Several years ago, I waited in line for hours at a book signing for a chance to meet Ree, and she was delightful. One reason that the wait was so long that day is that Ree took the time to talk to everyone who brought in a book for signing, and she graciously posed for photos, too.

Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman, at a book signing. CraftsnCoffee.com.

Me & Ree.

And here’s where I’m going with this. This week, Woman’s World magazine published the Patriotic Lollipop Bouquet I made and shared last year. I was pretty excited to have the project in the magazine, and then I received an advance copy. Whoa! Me and Ree in the same magazine? Made my day! The issue should be on newsstands right now.

Woman's World celebrates July 4th with a Patriotic Lollipop Bouquet and The Pioneer Woman. CraftsnCoffee.com.

That’s the cover of this week’s issue on the left. My Lollipop Bouquet is in the same issue with Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman!

Are you a fan of The Pioneer Woman? Or Shark Week?

Happy crafting.

P.S. I was just thinking this morning that I started the week with a Snow Angel, and ended it with Shark Week! Variety is the spice of life, and that’s what makes writing this blog so fun! The crafts and ideas are endless!

This entry was posted in Craft Tutorial, Kid's Crafts and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to A Shark Week craft for kids: DIY a Shark Pencil Holder

I’ve never been able to watch Jaws, either, but I love the pencil holder!! Great craft idea!

2. Love the shark pencil holder and your lollipop bouquets!

3. Angie says:

Q: Whats the Great White Sharks favorite candy?
    A: The Jaw-Breaker!
    Q: What did one shark say to the other after eating a clown fish?
    A: ‘Not only does it look funny, but it tastes funny too.’

Had to add 2 more sillies to your listing! We love the yearly Shark Week on TV also. This craft is so fun for any age. Just a simple idea, I am thinking that you could even add a shark fink to the tops of your pencils. The picture with the two of you is gorgeous! Pioneer Woman and her Marlboro Cowboy Husband make the cutest couple. She has great recipes. How does it feel to be together in the same magazine? Sharon, had no idea you were rubbing elbows with the rich and famous! WTG, Sharon! Keep those great craft ideas coming!

Happy Shark Week and thank you for those fun jokes! Great way to start a Monday! I treasure that photo, Angie, and wow, I was so surprised to see Ree on the magazine cover. I’m sure I’ll receive my invitation to the ranch any day now . . . 🙂 Maybe for her big, July 4th celebration?? Ha, ha. Thank you for stopping in and sharing your jokes! Sharon

4. Masala Vegan says:

Thanks, this is so cool! My little one is a massive shark conservation enthusiast and will love this for her table 😀

Perfect! 🙂 Be sure to let us know how your daughter’s Shark Pencil Holder turns out — I’d love to see it. Happy crafting. Sharon

5. Anne Haun says:

Love Pioneer Woman and your great lollipop bouquet. Great picture of you and Ree.

Glad you’re a fan, too! What’s your favorite — her recipes, her critters, posts about the ranch, or all of the above? Thanks for the sweet comment! Sharon

6. kelleysdiy says:

Soo cute!

Get OUTTA here! I look forward to Shark Week every year! (Even before my kids were born) 🙂 I liked it better when it was in August, though. Thanks for the awesome craft idea Sharon. I’ll see if we can sink our teeth into it for the 4th of July weekend 😉
    And congrats on being published in Woman’s World. Next time you’ll be the one on the cover

I am loving the shark jokes today! 🙂 And you live in shark country . . . Thanks for the congrats, and I’m o.k. leaving the cover — and the cooking, to Ree. Happy Friday and happy crafting. Sharon

The shark is a super fun idea. I do like Ree just a BITe better. 😀 Love the variety of crafts you share. Something for everyone.
    Have a great weekend!

Ha, ha! I bet you’re happy to take a BITE out of anything Ree makes, too! The variety is fun for me, and I’m glad you think so, too. Some “experts” say you should be more targeted, but I’ve decided to have something for everyone. Thanks for stopping in and have a crafty weekend. Sharon

9. LOVE Pioneer Woman and also watch shark week with fascination each year! Since seeing Jaws when it originally came out I am afraid to swim in the ocean or lakes or ponds because I have the irrational fear that a shark is lurking in the depths of the water! LOL Sometimes I even get scared in pools! Dumb I know, but we can’t help what we fear I guess! ‘
    Congratulations on being in the magazine! I will be sure to have hubby pick up a copy for me!!

I could never bring myself to watch Jaws, Barb, and to this day, have never seen the movie. And I think I’m o.k. with that! I will watch PW, however 🙂 I was so surprised when the editor at Woman’s World contacted me, and wow, even more surprised to see that I’m in a magazine with Ree on the cover. Thank you! Sharon