Please come to our 75th Birthday Bash!

Who: You!

What: The 75th birthday for STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam

When: Monday, May 30 – Friday, June 3, 2016

Where: Right here on Crafts ‘n Coffee

Why: To celebrate 75 creative, crafty years!

I hope you will join me here on Crafts ‘n Coffee next week as we celebrate the 75th birthday of STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam. For decades, we’ve decorated your door – spring, summer, fall and winter. We’ve dressed up your walls, embellished your Christmas trees, and stuffed those Easter baskets!  Generations have used STYROFOAM Brand Foam for school projects and to keep little hands busy. And next week, we’ll celebrate 75 fun years.

Celebrating 75 years of crafting and creating with STYROFOAM Brand Foam! CraftsnCoffee.com.

STYROFOAM Brand Foam is crisp, clean, and sparkles like a diamond in the light.

I’d like to share a little more about our guest of honor. STYROFOAM Brand Foam was invented by Dow Chemical in 1941 and used for flotation in World War II. (It’s an unsung hero in more ways than one!) Florists first began using the material, and it wasn’t long before others were using the foam to create and craft.

STYROFOAM Brand Foam has been a Christmas tradition for 75 years! CraftsnCoffee.com.

Plastics magazine, December, 1946.

I found this December, 1946 Plastics magazine cover and guess what’s decorating the tree! Inside the magazine there’s an ad for “beautifully formed, glistening white . . . light as a feather & unbreakable” White Christmas Ornaments. This might be the first-ever ad for STYROFOAM Brand Foam. I’ve never heard of Frank Paper Products Corporation , but I do know that we’ve partnered with our fabricator FloraCraft since 1949.

The first-ever ad for Styrofoam brand foam, and it's from 1946! CraftsnCoffee.com.

This may be the first ever ad for STYROFOAM Brand Foam!

I’ve mentioned before my collection of vintage craft books, and the earliest booklets date from 1960. Through the years, STYROFOAM Brand Foam has always found a way to adapt to trends.

retro christmas craft book

This 1960 project book doesn’t look very flashy, but it has 30 pages packed with 20 projects.

Retro, 1984 project book! CraftsnCoffee.com.

Remember macrame? We do, too, and Dow published this project book in 1984.

You may be most familiar with our white and green foam shapes, but did you know that Dow also makes Blue STYROFOAM Brand Insulation? The insulation is used worldwide to insulate the roofs, walls and foundations of homes and commercial buildings. Today, it’s used in sustainable builds around the world, including in net zero homes and green roofs.

Dow has partnered with Habitat for Humanity since 1993. CraftsnCoffee.com.

A Habitat build in Midland, MI.

Since 1993, Dow has partnered with Habitat for Humanity, and became its first international partner. Today, Dow is the national insulation partner for North America Habitat builds.

We have a lot to celebrate next week! Starting Monday, I’ll share party crafts and decorating ideas each day, and of course, there will be prizes! I love every single project I’m sharing next week, and I can’t wait for you to see them, too. It’s going to be a fun week!

Sneak peek of celebration week on CraftsnCoffee. We're celebrating 75 years of STYROFOAM Brand Foam! CraftsnCoffee.com.

Coming on Monday!

Please invite your crafty friends to join us, too. The more, the merrier.

Invite-#3

In the meantime, have a wonderful holiday weekend with family and friends. I’ll see you Monday!

This entry was posted in Giveaways, Great Decor in a Flash -- Without a Lot of Cash, Home Decor, Kid's Crafts, Trends, Vintage Crafts, Wall Art, Wreaths and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Please come to our 75th Birthday Bash!

1. Judy Rathel says:

Back in the sixties my Mama and a friend made some beautiful Christmas decorations using styrofoam. They had the patters to cut from styrofoam. These were table displays. There were reighndeer and there was a regal entrance way. On these they used holly and other Christmas bling to decorate alone with a santa. I sure wish I could find those patterns somewhere.

WoooHoooo Party!!!

3. Angie says:

Celebrating 75 years! Congrats! I think that is amazing and we should all enjoy the party. I will have my cup of coffee hot and ready to enjoy. I can email ya’ll a piece of cake. Let me know your favorite flavor. *giggles* Thank you for sharing, Sharon!

🙂 Cake, coffee & crafting! Isn’t that about perfect? Make mine chocoloate cake with chocolate fudge frosting, please. Mmmmmm . . . Thank you, and see you soon! Sharon

4. Fran Dougherty says:

Can’t wait!!

🙂 I’m excited about the crafts I’m sharing during the party, Fran, and I hope you like them, too! I’m so glad you’ll join us! Happy crafting! Sharon

Happy Birthday! I will be stopping by. Love seeing all the great ideas you share!
    May you have another 75+ years!

I love all of the ideas you share, too, Lisa. What do you think people will be crafting in 75 years? And, what techniques will be back in vogue? Will macrame finally make a comeback?? See you at the party! Sharon

6. Laurie says:

Happy birthday!

7. We have 12″ of the StyroFoam Insulation in our walls. We have a concrete house and the StyroFoam Insulation REALLY keeps our house cool in summer and so warm in the winter that even if it is 30 below zero all we have to do to heat the house is turn the dryer or oven on. Toasty warm! We went from spending over $7500 a year to heat our house to practically nothing! The last two years we have spent less than $500 total to heat our home so I want to say a HUGE THANK YOU to StyroFoam for having such a wonderful product! Now I have extra money to spend on CRAFT supplies! LOL
    Looking forward to the party next week! See you then!

I love your story! Thanks for sharing! I’m so glad STYROFOAM Brand Insulation is keeping you warm — and saving tons of $$s, too. (Meanwhile, crafting with STYROFOAM Brand Foam warms your heart, right? 🙂 ). I can’t wait for you to join in the party fun, Barb! See you then. Sharon

8. I will be there for sure! Since discovering your blog, I have had so much fun creating gifts with your fabulous tutorials! I will also be sharing with a couple of friends, so hope that they stop by and take a look at all of your spectacular tutorials and ideas! Have a fantastic creative day!

🙂 You are so sweet! Thank you! And thank you for sharing Crafts ‘n Coffee, too. You’ll have to tell us more about what you’re making! Sharon

9. Anne Haun says: