I have a super-easy indoor-outdoor, Fringed Patriotic Wreath today. And YOU were my inspiration! When I posted my Fringed Mardi Gras Wreath, someone commented (on Facebook), that it could be made with plastic tablecloths for an indoor-outdoor wreath. Lightbulb moment! I had to give it a try and see if I could make a fringed wreath with red, white and blue plastic tablecloths. I wish I knew who made the comment to say “thank you”. What a great idea and an easy, inexpensive way to make an indoor-outdoor, Patriotic Wreath.
Once I had the wreath made, I had a couple of different ideas for embellishing it, and tried them all! You can pick your favorite, or maybe you have another idea, too.
To make a Fringed, Patriotic Wreath, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 12” wreath
- Plastic tablecloths in red, white and blue
- Chenille stem
- Thick, white craft glue
- Optional: Poppers, curling ribbon, pinwheel or small flag
- Tools needed: Scissors; ruler; straight pins; optional: rotary cutter and cutting mat
To make a Fringed, Patriotic Wreath:
1. Make your fringed strips:
- Cut two, 5” wide strips from a tablecloth.
- Layer the two strips together, and cut the layered strips into 8” lengths.
- You’ll need ten, 8” lengths of each color.
- Fold a strip in half, so it measures 2-1/2” x 8”.
- Working from the open end, cut fringe in each strip, stopping about ¾” from the fold.
2. Wrap a strip around the wreath, pinning and gluing to the back of the wreath.
3. Continue to add the fringed strips, alternating colors red, white and blue, till the wreath is covered.
4. Twist the chenille stem into a loop, and insert and glue the ends into the back of the wreath.
5. Optional: Embellish your wreath:
- Poppers: Tie curling ribbon around the necks of poppers. Tie together the ends of 5- 6 lengths of curling ribbon, and pin and glue the ribbons to the back of the wreath.
- Pinwheel: Cut down the handle on a pinwheel. Cut a small snip through the plastic covering the wreath, and insert the pinwheel handle into the wreath. Remove, add a dab of glue, and insert the pinwheel back into the hole.
- Flag: Cut a small snip though the plastic covering the wreath, and insert the flag. Remove, add a dab of glue, and insert the flag back into the hole.
Here are a few more patriotic wreaths you might enjoy. These are all easy to DIY, too. Easy enough that you can make one of the wreaths below for your indoor wreath, and also make today’s Fringed Patriotic Wreath to hang up outside.
Which version do you prefer? Or do you have another idea for decorating this wreath? (My readers have the best ideas!)
P.S. Do you follow Crafts ‘n Coffee on Facebook? I’d love to have you follow along!