A Favorite Button Topiary to DIY

Looking through old posts recently, I realized that I featured Patty Schaffer’s Button Egg, but I never featured its companion Button Topiary. How did I miss this pretty project? The Button Egg is always a favorite, so I am calling this the Favorite Button Topiary. I hope it’s one of your favorites! At long last, here’s the tutorial for the DIY Button Topiary.

So pretty! DIY an easy Button Topiary on CraftsnCoffee.com.

Favorite Button Topiary by Patty Schaffer.

Such a pretty Button Egg. Love the bright pops of color! Tutorial on CraftsnCoffee.com.

Here’s Patty’s Button Egg.

To make the Favorite Button Topiary, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 9” cone
  • Buttons:
    • White in assorted shades and sizes, about 400 – 450
    • Bright colors in assorted sizes, about 24 – 30
  • Pearl head pins, 1-1/2″, 400 – 450
  • Beads, assorted shapes in silver, about 20 – 24
  • Candle pedestal
  • Drywall screw, 2-1/2”
  • E-6000 Adhesive
  • Thick, white craft glue
Button detail from a DIY Button Topiary Tree. CraftsnCoffee.com.

The pearl head pins and colorful buttons add bright pops of color and lots of interest.

To make the Favorite Button Topiary:

1. Adhere the head of the drywall screw to the center of the pedestal using the E-6000 adhesive. The point should be facing up. Let glue dry.
  2. Center the cone over the drywall screw, and push it onto the screw. Remove the cone, add thick-white craft glue to the pedestal and the drywall screw, and place the cone back onto the pedestal. Let glue dry.
  3. Cover the cone with buttons:
  • Starting at the bottom of the cone, pin the white buttons to the cone using pearl head pins.
  • Work your way up the cone using the larger buttons first.
  • Occasionally thread a silver bead onto the pin before pinning on buttons.
  • Overlap the buttons to help fill in gaps, and pin on smaller buttons to cover the gaps, too.

4. Once the cone is covered, pin on the colored buttons, adding pops of color.

Here’s the sweet pair together.

Beautiful button crafts on CraftsnCoffee.com.

These would make nice gifts for Mother’s Day.

Sneak peek!

Sneak peek!

Now that you have your buttons out, don’t put them away yet . . . Here’s a sneak peek of Friday’s craft. I think you’re going to like it . . .

What have you crafted with buttons?

Happy button crafting.

This entry was posted in Craft Tutorial, Gift Ideas, Home Decor, Topiaries and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to A Favorite Button Topiary to DIY

1. Pingback: 60+ Free Craft Tutorials for Button Lovers | Underground Crafter

The options are endless for this beautiful topiary! Especially with those of us that have a jar of mismatched buttons!!

Absolutely! There are no mismatched buttons when you DIY a button craft! It will be just as beautiful if the buttons are all one color or mixed up like a rainbow. Happy crafting! Sharon

3. Angie says:

Love this Favorite Button Topiary! It is especially sweet knowing you are using buttons from grandma’s or mom’s button jar in this project. Used to be that every part of a worn-out article of clothing was saved either for quilting fabrics or buttons for the button jar. With the basic white button background, you can choose your favorite colors for the accents. Lovely for any holiday!

Beautiful ideas, Angie. I think you and Lisa are on the same track here, with visions of vintage buttons on your Button Topiary. Lovely indeed! Sharon

Buttons and more buttons. These would be a fun project to add some of the vintage buttons I have. 🙂

Do you ever tire of button crafts, Lisa? I don’t — every last one is always beautiful and intriguing. Sometimes, you wonder about the stories behind vintage buttons, too. It would be fun to DIY this and put your vintage buttons on display! Sharon

5. This is a great craft to do with buttons! I have a giant tin filled with a wide variety of buttons and never know what to do with them. I am going to get them out and start having a great time creating this! Thank you for getting these fantastic tutorials together and posting them for people such as myself who love to craft, but just lack in the inventive side themselves! I love it! Have a fantastic creative day!

So glad you’re inspired! I like to call crafts like this a “TV craft” — you can make your topiary during your favorite TV show. I know you’re creative, Brenda, and you can DIY one of these for sure. Share a photo when you’re done, please. Happy crafting! Sharon

6. Diane says:

I’ve used buttons to make jewelry, picture frames, topiarys, the ideas are endless///

Your button crafts sound lovely! I’ve admired button jewelry, it’s always so pretty! And you’ve made button topiaries, too :-)! Thanks for sharing your projects with us. Sharon

Fantastic project – love it!

8. I love the metallic pins against the white of the buttons! Very pretty! TFS!

Patty knew what she was doing when she designed these little pretties, didn’t she? I agree — those pops of color really add to these button crafts. Thank you, Barb. Sharon