Happy April Fool’s Day! It’s always a fun day here, and I thought it would be the perfect day to share Kathleen George’s LAUGH Wall Art. Look closely at the “U” in Laugh – how could you not smile every day with this DIY wall art on display? It’s not all fun and games, however, as the cork paper and brass tacks add playful yet tasteful texture that would be at home almost anywhere.
To make LAUGH Wall Art, you will need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 1” x 12” x 18” sheet
- Cork scrapbook paper, two 12” x 12” sheets
- Scrap paper
- Brass upholstery nails
- Hook & loop picture hangers
- Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; thin-tip marker; ruler; serrated knife; old candle or bar of soap; Xacto® knife; straight pins; large needle
To make LAUGH Wall Art:
- Using the ruler and a marker, measure and trace a 9” x 18” rectangle on the sheet of STYROFOAM Brand Foam. Wax the knife blade with an old candle or a bar of soap, and then cut out the rectangle.
- Cut the cork paper into two rectangles – 12” x 9” and 6” x 9”. Cut the remaining cork paper into 1” strips.
- Glue the 1” strips to the edges of your foam rectangle. If needed, pin the cork paper in place till glue dries.
- Piece together the rectangles of cork paper cut in Step 2 and glue to the top of the 9” x 18” foam rectangle. If needed, pin down the paper till the glue dries.
- “Frame” your art in upholstery nails. Insert upholstery nails along the edges, spacing the nails ½” apart.
- Transfer the Laugh Wall Art Diagram onto a 9” x 18” sheet of paper. You’ll need to enlarge the pattern as you go.
- Using a large needle, make a hole through each dot.
- Pin the pattern to the cork-covered sheet. Transfer the pattern to the cork sheet by using a thin tip marker to mark each dot in the pattern onto the cork.
- Remove the pattern, and insert the upholstery tacks into each dot. Add two tacks in the middle of the “U” for eyes.
- Hang the sign using hook and loop hangers.
Alas, my daughter is off on a school trip and I’ve no plans for April Fool’s Day this year. So, I’d love to hear about your plans! Anyone planning a little fun for April Fool’s Day today?