From his pink tipped ears to his carrot pot, this Deco Mesh, Bunny Pouf Topiary is cute as can be! Patty Schaffer, who made everyone’s favorite Deco Mesh Ghost, also conjured up this springtime, Deco Mesh Bunny. Isn’t he fun? I think you’ll love him much as I do, so let’s hop onto the tutorial!
To make a Deco Mesh Bunny Topiary, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: Two, 4” balls
- Wood dowel, 3/8” x 16”
- Deco mesh, 10” wide roll in white
- Wire, 20 gauge
- Ceramic pot in orange, 4” wide (you can also paint your pot orange)
- Moss, green
- Acrylic craft paint in white
- Craft foam sheet (foamie), 3mm in white
- Chenille stems: three each black and white
- Wiggle eyes, two, 4mm
- Paper in light pink (Patty used a distressed paper with variations in the color)
- Glitter in hot pink
- Glitter Glue
- Low-temp glue gun
- Tools needed: Scissors; paintbrush; optional: serrated knife; wire cutters
To make a Deco Mesh Bunny Topiary:
1. Paint the wood dowel white and let dry.
2. Insert the dowel into one of the foam balls. Remove the dowel, add glue to the hole, and reinsert the dowel. Let the glue set.
3. Push the second foam ball down into the ceramic pot. The ball should fit snugly. If needed, trim the ball with a serrated knife till it fits. Glue ball in place. Drizzle more glue along the sides of the ball where it meets the pot. Insert the other end of the dowel into the foam ball, remove, add glue to hole, and reinsert the dowel.
4. Cover the bunny’s head with deco mesh:
- Cut deco mesh into 7” long strips. You will need about 36 strips.
- Cut 36, 3” lengths of wire.
- Roll up a deco mesh strip, forming a tube.
- Pinch the tube in the center, making a V.
- Tightly twist a length of wire around the deco mesh tube at the V.
- Insert the wire ends into the bunny’s head.
- Repeat, till you’ve covered the bunny’s head in deco mesh.
5. Eyes: Bend the end of a white chenille stem into a flat loop, small enough to fit on the back of a wiggle eye. Hot glue a wiggle eye onto the loop. After glue dries, insert the chenille stems into the bunny’s head, between the deco mesh. If needed, trim the stems with wire cutters.
6. Nose: Cut the nose from the craft foam sheet. Brush glitter glue on the nose, and sprinkle with hot pink glitter. Let dry. Add nose to face using a chenille stem, following instructions for the eyes in Step 5.
7. Whiskers: Fold two black chenille stems into ‘V’s, and cut the third stem in half. Use one folded stem and one half stem for each side. Apply hot glue to the point of the ‘v’ and carefully attach the whiskers to the back of the nose on one side. Repeat for other side.
8. Ears: Cut out bunny ears from the craft foam; cut them slightly different to give the bunny character. Cut out inner ears from the pink paper, and glue to the center of each ear. Insert the ears in between the mesh tubes.
9. Crumple a sheet of newspaper, and use it to fill the pot up to the top. Glue newspaper in place. Glue moss onto the newspaper, covering the pot.
Who else is in love with this Deco Mesh, Bunny Pouf Topiary?
Happy bunny crafting!