Today I have another elegant yet easy DIY project to add a little spark to your winter decor – Silk Tie Deco Spheres. If raiding your closets doesn’t turn up any old ties, you’ll find them in second-hand store. These stylish spheres are as beautiful as the Ribbon & Bead Deco Spheres I shared earlier this week. You can easily adapt both of these designs to your own home and style, depending on the colors and materials you use.
To make Silk Tie Deco Spheres, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 4” and 5” balls
- Silk ties, about three ties per ball
- Satin ribbon, 5/16”, in a coordinating color
- Thick white craft glue
- Tools needed: Scissors; craft pins; iron and ironing board
To make Silk Tie Deco Spheres:
1. Prep the ties to maximize the useable fabric: Clip the threads that hold the ties together in the back and spread out the fabric. Cut away the tie liners. Iron the ties to remove the creases. You’ll need to prep three ties for each ball.
2. Cut the ties into 1” strips. The 1” strips will be different lengths, and that’s o.k. Save them all because you may need them.
3. Pin and glue the end of one strip to a ball of STYROFOAM Brand Foam. Wrap the fabric strip around the foam ball, keeping the fabric smooth and crisscrossing to cover as much of the ball as possible. Pin and glue the end of the fabric strip to the ball.
4. To start the next strip, pin and glue the ends of the next fabric strip under the fabric already on the ball. Wrap the second strip in a different direction around the ball. Pin and glue the end so that it’s covered by the fabric already wrapped around the ball.
5. Continue winding fabric strips around the ball until the ball is completely covered, and you like the design you’ve created.
6. Add accents with satin ribbon. Wrap satin ribbon around the ball, pinning and gluing the ends underneath the tie fabric.
When collecting old ties, you might want to pick up extras and DIY a Recycled Tie Wreath. Kathleen shared these wreaths with us last year.
Why wait for spring to freshen things up – dive in right now and add a new splash to your home. How would you display these Deco Spheres?