If you saw a bowl full of these exquisite Ribbon & Bead Deco Spheres, could you resist picking them up and admiring them more closely? Nope, I didn’t think so! Each Ribbon & Bead Deco Sphere is like a miniature piece of artwork. Designer Ed Smith lavishly layered on various textures to create these sumptuous spheres. The step-by-step tutorial deconstructs them and shows how you can DIY these beautiful Deco Spheres by simply layering on ribbons, fibers and beaded wires.
To make Ribbon & Bead Deco Spheres, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 4” ball
- Ribbons, 1-1/2” wide:
- 4 yds in gold metallic;
- 2 yds sheer ribbon in color(s) of your choice
- Additional ribbons in various widths, colors and finishes
- Fibers, assorted styles in violet and blue
- Craft wire: 22-gauge magenta; 24-gauge gold
- Beads, jewels and gems in assorted colors and styles
- Low-temp glue gun
- Thick, white craft glue
- Tools needed: Scissors; pencil; ruler; wire cutters; straight pins; pearl head corsage pins
To make Ribbon & Beads Deco Spheres:
1. Wrap gold ribbon around a ball of STYROFOAM Brand Foam till the ball is completely covered. To secure the end of the ribbon, dip two straight pins into thick, white craft glue and insert through the ribbon ends into the foam ball.
2. Wrap the gold wire randomly around the ball. As you wrap the wire, stop several times to wrap the wire around a straight pin, dip the straight pin into glue, and then insert it into the foam ball. This will help to hold the wire in place.
3. Following Step 1, twist and wrap the sheer ribbons around the ball. Do not cover the gold ribbon and gold wire. You want a “collage” effect with all colors and materials visible.
4. Add beaded wire:
- Wrap a 36” length of magenta wire around a pencil.
- Thread beads and gems onto the wire, twisting the wire around the beads to secure.
- Dip one end in glue, and insert into the foam ball.
- Randomly wrap the wire around the ball, securing in place with pearl head corsage pins inserted through the beads and into the foam ball.
- Secure the end by dipping it in glue and then inserting it into the ball.
5. Wrap ball with fibers; secure with pins and glue.
6. Continue to wrap the ball in beaded wires and fibers, till you’re pleased with the textures.
7. Optional: If you’d like to make an ornament, twist together the ends of a 12” length of wire. Dip the ends in glue, and then insert into the top of the ball. Let glue dry before hanging.
Aren’t they gorgeous? What colors would you use? I think I would make my Ribbon & Bead Deco Spheres in gray, silver, and aqua, with black accents.