An easy Valentine’s Day craft: DIY Tissue Paper Fringe Topiaries

I have a fun and easy Valentine’s Day craft today – DIY Tissue Paper Fringe Topiaries. These Fringed, Tissue Paper Trees are a fast and inexpensive way to dress up your Valentine’s Day décor (the sequin tissue paper was less than a dollar a pack – score!). I wasn’t sure about adding black to my Valentine’s Day decorations, but now I really like it. The black accents go a long way toward updating my Valentine’s Day décor. I also hesitated about cutting all of that fringe, but it was easy enough and I made both trees in an evening. Let’s do it!

Easy and inexpensive Valentine's Day DIY decor. Love the black accents, too. CraftsnCoffee.com.

To make Tissue Paper Fringe Topiaries, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 12” and 9” cones
  • Tissue paper in assorted colors (I used sequin tissue in black, bright pink, and white; and pastel pink tissue paper)
  • Glass ornaments
  • Black paint
  • Low-temp glue gun
  • Optional: Thick, white craft glue
  • Tools needed: Scissors; tape measure; straight pins
Love these Fringed, Tissue Paper Topiaries! Cheap & easy, too. CraftsnCoffee.com.

Would you add black to your Valentine’s Day decor?

To make Tissue Paper Fringe Topiaries:

12” Cone:

1. Cut a strip 12” long and 5” wide from a double layer of tissue paper. Fold in half to measure 12” long x 2-1/2” wide. Your tissue paper strip should now have four layers.

2. Hold the layers together, and cut fringe along the open, 12” long edge. Make about 4 – 5 cuts per inch. It doesn’t have to be perfect, and it will go faster than you think.

3. Wrap the fringed strip around the base of the 12” cone and pin in back. Adjust as needed so the strip is straight. Optional: Spot glue in place with white craft glue.

Love these Fringed, Tissue Paper Topiaries for Valentine's Day! CraftsnCoffee.com.

The sequin tissue paper adds a little sparkle.

4. Wrap the tape measure around the cone, about 1” above the last fringed strip. This will be the width for the next paper strip.Continue to wrap the cone in fringed tissue paper strips, completing seven rows.

5. For the last three rows, cut your tissue paper strips 3” – 4” wide, so they measure 1-1/2” – 2” wide when folded. This will make it easier to wrap the strips around the narrow top of the cone.

6. Paint glass ornament black, and let dry. When dry, glue to the top of the tree.

9” Cone:

1. Repeat Steps 1 – 6 above, except you’ll add need eight rows of fringed tissue paper.  Once you’ve added five, 2-1/2” fringed rows, finish the cone with three, 1-1/2” wide strips.

DIY Fringed, Tissue Paper Trees for Valentine's Day! CraftsnCoffee.com.

Cutting all that fringe was easier than I thought, and I made both trees in just a few hours. Easy!

What do you think about the trend to mix in a little black at Valentine’s Day? I’ve decided that it looks pretty sharp!

I hope you’re staying home, safe and warm this weekend! Snowy weekends mean more time to craft, right?

Ha, ha! Who needs milk and toilet paper? CraftsnCoffee.com.

Craft on!

This entry was posted in Craft Tutorial, Home Decor, Paper Crafts, Trends, Valentine's Day Craft and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to An easy Valentine’s Day craft: DIY Tissue Paper Fringe Topiaries

1. Pingback: 10 Tissue Paper Crafts - My Favorite Finds

2. Angie says:

Love these trees! They are adorable! I could even see a red or pink heart at the top of each tree. They remind me of making Valentine’s Day boxes for grade school. Each child brought a Valentine for every member of the class and the teacher too. Love your ideas! ❤ ❤ ❤

I’d love to see these trees topped with hearts — how sweet! And I remember having a blast making boxes to collect valentines in school. These fringed trees also remind me of pinatas, and I’m seeing a lot of DIY pinata tutorial right now, too. Craft on, Angie.

3. Pam says:

Love the black. Chocolate brown would look great too.

Chocolate brown would be a beautiful addition, especially if you display your fringed trees with a big bowl of Valentine’s Day chocolates! Mmmm! Happy crafting, Pam. Sharon

4. LissM6 says:

Stay safe with the snow and craft away! Rain in my forecast to cover the snow. So sloppy wet weather for me to craft in.
    The cone trees are pretty darn sweet looking.

I don’t know about you, but during the winter, I think rain and ice are worse than snow! Snow is a lot easier to handle. I hope you spent the weekend cozily crafting! Sharon

What a beautiful color combination! It definitely looks classy.
    To those of you who are in for a snowy weekend, take care, be careful and craft the hours away.

I’m glad you like the pink & black — I wasn’t sure at first, but once I started working on the cones, I really liked it. I hope there was a lot of Valentine’s Day crafting going on around the east coast this weekend! Have a great week, Katiria. Sharon

Lovely project – no snow worries here in Texas!

7. LOVE the black!! It is one of my favorite colors so I use it for any and all holidays! These trees are really pretty and I might attempt making a couple of them if I get a few minutes of quiet time!
    Hope you have an awesome weekend!

Thanks, Barb, and I hope you were able to DIY a few of these trees. Super easy, and they look so sweet. Did you add a little black to your Christmas decor? This past Christmas is the first time I started to see black enter into holiday decorating. Here’s to a crafty week! Sharon