Make a Sparkling, Winter Snowflake Wreath with dollar store snowflakes

After a weather delay in Chicago last night, I am happy to be home from the CHA Show. It’s been a mild winter around here and it’s easy to forget the hazards of wintertime travel. We’ve had too few of those magical, winter days when the snow glistens and sparkles under a clear blue sky. Kathleen’s George’s Sparkling, Winter Snowflake Wreath reminds me of how pretty a winter’s day can be! No matter where you are, you can enjoy a little wintertime sparkle with this winter wreath, because you can buy these snowflakes at your local dollar store.

DIY Sparkling Snowflake Wreath (from dollar store supplies!) CraftsnCoffee.com.

To make a Sparkling, Winter Snowflake Wreath, you will need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 1” x 12” x 18” sheet
  • Grosgrain ribbon, 1” x 2 yds. in white
  • Satin ribbon, 1/8” x 12” in white (hanger)
  • Snowflakes in assorted sizes and finishes (Kathleen used 25 snowflakes, which she purchased at a dollar store)
  • Embellishments: Pearl beads, crystals, rhinestones, etc.
  • Low-temp glue gun
  • Tools needed: Scissors; ruler; sharp pencil; serrated knife; old candle or bar of soap; straight pins

To make a Sparkling, Winter Snowflake Wreath:

1. With the ruler and a sharp pencil, measure and trace a large oval on the sheet of STYROFOAM Brand Foam. Kathleen’s oval measured 16” tall and 12” wide. Measure 3” in from your scored line, and trace a smaller oval in the center.

2. Wax the serrated knife with a bar of soap or an old candle. Cut out the oval wreath. Press the edges smooth with your fingers.

3. Glue the grosgrain ribbon around the inside and outside edges of the wreath. If needed, use pins to help hold the ribbon in place while the glue dries.

4. Add the snowflakes, using different varieties for each layer:

• Layer one: Glue eight snowflakes evenly around the wreath.
  • Layer two: Add eight more snowflakes, filling in the gaps in the first layer.
  • Layer three: Arrange and glue on six smaller and two larger snowflakes.
Pretty details from DIY Winter Snowflake Wreath on CraftsnCoffee.com.

Add your bling for extra sparkle!

5. Add bling! Glue on pearls, crystals, rhinestones, and other embellishments for extra sparkle.

6. Hang a snowflake in the center of the wreath using a 6” length of 1/8” ribbon.

7. Knot together the ends of a 6” length of 1/8” ribbon. Pin and glue the knot to the back of the wreath for a hanger.

Easy DIY Sparkling Snowflake Wreath. CraftsnCoffee.com.

I like the oval shape of this wreath. Do you?

If you’re short on snow this winter, here are a few more winter wreaths to dress up your front door.

Sweater & Snowflake Wreath

Cozy, winter sweater wreath. Great project for repurposing old sweaters. CraftsnCoffee.com.

Winter Snowflake & Snowball Yarn Wreath

Snowflake & Snowball Winter Yarn Wreath

Snowflake & Snowball Winter Yarn Wreath

Fleece & Snowflake Wreath

Fleece & Snowflake Wreath

Fleece & Snowflake Wreath

How has your winter been?

This entry was posted in Christmas Wreaths, Craft Tutorial, Wintertime Crafts, Wreaths and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Make a Sparkling, Winter Snowflake Wreath with dollar store snowflakes

What fun wreaths. The snowflakes add a fun element. I will add this to my list. I would prefer the snowflakes to the freezing rain that is to come. Happy Crafting!

I agree, Lisa — snow is better than freezing rain and ice. Ugh! Winter is about 1/2 over though, so we’re close to the finish line. And in the meantime, snowy weather means you can stay inside and DIY! Craft on! Sharon

2. Angie says:

Love this snowflake wreath! It adds some pretty bling to these dull and cold winter days. It is freezing outside with snow, ice, and wind. Brrrr! The oval shape is fun. Many times we only think of wreaths being round in shape. This is a project for all ages. Seniors as well as kids would enjoy creating this wreath. Thank you for sending us a little ‘sunshine’ for January!

And thank you! Love your suggestion to involve the entire family. This is a project for everyone, and why not if you can pick up the snowflakes at a dollar store. I hope you see a little warm sunshine soon! Happy crafting, Sharon

Beautiful wreaths – thanks for sharing.

Great to have you back. I have seen those snowflakes at my dollar store when it was Christmas time. What a great idea. Our winter is just starting. We had 58 degrees this morning and everyone took out their thickest jackets!

Thanks, and I’m glad to be back. We probably had weather like yours in Anaheim and it was pretty nice! I think you’ll need to DIY a Snowflake Wreath if you want to see any snow! Sharon

5. The Oval Wreath is divine!! I need to make a trip to the dollar store so I can pick up a bunch of these snowflakes so I can create one of these!!!
    So far this winter has been a flop! It has only snowed two or three times and only a dusting or an inch or two at a time. Very happy that the temperature hasn’t been as cold as they predicted though! I can take the snow but the cold burrows into my bones and just won’t let go!
    I just put my big girl panties on and ordered some wool, felting needles and the foam block so I can finally give this craft a try!! My resolution for this year is to learn a new technique or craft each week. Will let you know how my fingers fare! LOL
    Hope you are having a wonderful week!!