Don’t you love a craft that’s packed with charming details? Like these little song birds, perched on wooden spools wrapped up in sheet music and tinsel. It’s this attention to detail that makes Rebekah Meier’s Needle-Felted Song Birds so delightful. Last year, Rebekah shared her Cheery, Felted Winter Birds, and this year, she’s re-imagined them as sweet, singing song birds, perched on musical spools.
To make a Needle-Felted Song Bird, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 2” egg and 1-1/2” ball (for one bird)
- Wool roving in cream
- Chenille sock or fleece, small scraps
- Wool felt, small scraps of cream and yellow
- Black head pins, two
- Tinsel, 6” length
- Baby sock
- Wood spool
- Decorative sheet music
- Powdered blush
- Thick, white craft glue
- Optional: Spray glitter
- Tools needed: Scissors; needle felting needle*; pencil; toothpick; foam paintbrush
* Note: Felting needles are extremely sharp; use caution. The higher the needle number, the finer the needle and the smaller the hole left in the project.
To make a Needle-Felted Song Bird:
1. Build your bird body:
- Hold the foam egg on an angle, and position the ball on the narrow end of the egg.
- Rub the two foam pieces together, creating a snug fit.
- Insert a toothpick between the two shapes, and glue them together.
2. Needle felt the body:
- Place small, wispy pieces of roving onto the bird.
- Felt the roving onto the bird with the felting needle, inserting the needle numerous times through the fiberfill and into the foam.
- Once the fibers are locked into place, continue to add roving, felting it as you go, until your bird is covered in wool roving.
- Add wings: Cut two wings 3” long from the cream felt. Glue wings onto the sides of the bird.
- Add a scarf: Tie a scrap of fleece or felt around the bird’s neck.
- Make the hat: Cut a 2” length from the leg of the baby sock, and place on the bird’s head. Tie off the end of the hat with a scrap of felt. Cut fringe into the top of the hat.
- Cheeks & eyes: Insert two, black head pins for eyes. Lightly brush cheeks with powdered blush.
- Make the beak: Cut a small diamond from the yellow felt. Fold in half, and glue below the eyes.
- Prepare the spool:
- Paint the spool cream, and let it dry.
- Cut a strip of sheet music to fit around the spool, and glue in place.
- Trim your tinsel so it’s about ¼” in diameter. Dry brush the tinsel with the cream paint, and let dry.
- Wrap the tinsel around the top of the spool and glue in place. Trim off excess length of tinsel.
- Glue the bird to the top of the spool, nestled in a “nest” of tinsel.
- Optional: Spray with glitter.
Here are Rebekah’s Cheery, Felted Winter Birds.
Last month, Rebekah shared her Sweet, Felted Snowman. There’s no reason to put these away with the Christmas decorations, is there?
I’m heading out to the 2016 CHA Show today, and looking forward to an overload of inspiration, and reconnecting with so many artists and designers, including Rebekah Meier. If you remember, last year Rebekah won the hot new product award in the Fabric & Needlecraft category for her Fabric Elements product line. I can’t wait to see what’s new with Rebekah this year!