DIY these easy, No-Sew Patchwork Pumpkins tonight

Orange & aqua for Halloween? It’s a little unconventional, but I adore my orange & aqua No-Sew Patchwork Pumpkins. I was inspired to DIY my pumpkins after Patty Schaffer shared her Plaid Pumpkins. I used Patty’s no-sew pumpkin tutorial with a few tweaks of my own, and in an evening had my sweet little trio of No-Sew Patchwork Pumpkins. Check out a few other favorite, no-sew pumpkins in today’s mini round up. Who knew there were so many ways to make a pumpkin? (I’m also announcing the winners of the magazine giveaway today.)

I adore these Patchwork Pumpkins and there's NO sewing! CraftsnCoffee.com.

Adorable Patchwork Pumpkins -- love the orange & aqua fabrics, too. No-sew tutorial on CraftsnCoffee.com.

Orange and aqua are unconventional, but I really love the combo for these No-Sew Patchwork Pumpkins.

The pumpkin patch keeps growing, and here’s where you’ll find other no-sew pumpkins: Pretty Plaid PumpkinsNo-Sew Velvet PumpkinsNo-Sew Burlap PumpkinsSweater PumpkinsSock & Ribbon Pumpkins.

Favorite, no-sew Pumpkins on CraftsnCoffee.com.

To make No-Sew, Patchwork Pumpkins, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 6”, 5” and 4” balls (or other sizes of your choice)
  • Fabrics, coordinating colors and prints
  • Pumpkin stems
  • Thick, white craft glue
  • Tools needed: Scissors; serrated knife; old candle or bar of soap; straight pins; wooden bamboo skewer; butter knife

To make No-Sew, Patchwork Pumpkins:

1. Wax the serrated knife blade with an old candle or bar of soap. Cut a slice from the top of your foam ball. Press the bottom of the foam ball on the tabletop so it’s slightly compressed and will stand and not roll. Gently compress the edges at the top and bottom to make a pumpkin shape. Note: I cut a larger slice from the top of my smallest ball, and compressed the ball a little more, so that it would be less round.
  1. Use the wooden bamboo skewer to score vertical grooves all around the pumpkin, forming its sections. Make the sections uneven, just like on a real pumpkin. Go over the score lines with a serrated knife to make them more distinct and deeper. My largest pumpkin had 10 sections, and the smallest had eight.

3.  Cover the balls with fabric:

These No-Sew Patchwork Pumpkins are an easy DIY. CraftsnCoffee.com. has the complete tutorial.

Top: You’ll use a serrated knife and butter knife to tuck in the fabrics. Left: Keep the pins in to help hold the fabric in place as you tuck in the edges. Right: Pin your fabric piece over the next section, and trim the piece to fit. You should be able to feel the score lines under the fabric, and use these as your guide. Add an extra 1/2″ all around as you cut.

• Cut out a rectangular piece of fabric to roughly fit one of the scored sections, plus a ½” seam all around. Pin the fabric piece in place, and trim to fit the pumpkin section. You should be able to feel the score lines underneath the fabric, and use these as your guide. Be sure you cut an extra ½” all around for the seam allowance.
  • Using the knives, tuck the fabric seams into the scored grooves. Work back and forth between the sides, till the section is completely tucked in.
  • Hold the knife straight up and down for a cleaner line.
  • If needed, pin the material down in the groove. Push the pins in far enough so they are hidden in the groove.
  • Repeat, till all sections are covered.
  • Trim away excess fabric and threads with nail scissors.
No-sew pumpkins, before adding the stems. Love the orange & aqua color combo! CraftsnCoffee.com.

Here are my pumpkin tops, before adding the stems.

1. Glue a real pumpkin stem to the top of the pumpkin.
NO sewing needed to DIY these pretty, Patchwork Pumpkins. CraftsnCoffee.com.

And here are the pumpkins, with stems.

Easy -- make all three No-Sew Patchwork Pumpkins tonight! CraftsnCoffee.com shows you the DIY.

Check your stash — you may already have the fabrics you need to DIY these pumpkins.

What do you think of orange and aqua for pumpkins? What colors would you use? Or, would you rather DIY one of these other no-sew pumpkins? We’ve used fabric, burlap, sweaters, shirts and socks to make this pumpkin patch.

Pretty pumkins! And all are no-sew! Love these! CraftsnCoffee.com.

Pretty Plaid Pumpkins

No-Sew Velvet Pumpkins

No-Sew Burlap Pumpkins

Sweater Pumpkins

Sock & Ribbon Pumpkins

Update: New this year — No-Sew Pumpkins with copper stems!

Copper stems! Love these No-Sew Patchwork Pumpkins on CraftsnCoffee.com.

Copper accents are beautiful for fall.

I want to thank everyone who followed Candy Corn Crafts  week last week. I hope you enjoyed the sweet crafts! Five readers will each receive the magazine Halloween Tricks & Treats, and they are Donna Baker, Jessica W., Lisa M6, Barb Macaskill, and Anne Haun. Please contact me to arrange for the shipping, ladies.

Happy pumpkin crafting!

This entry was posted in Craft Tutorial, Fabric Craft, Fall Crafts, Halloween Crafts, Home Decor, Thanksgiving Crafts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to DIY these easy, No-Sew Patchwork Pumpkins tonight

1. Pingback: Pumpkins with Personality | Vintage Mama's Cottage

2. Pingback: 10 Fun Halloween Projects

3. Hi Sharon. Thank you for sharing this project to us. We included it on our round-up post here, http://sewuber.com/make/easy-kids-sewing-projects/

Please feel free to contact us if you want to add something.

Cheers,
    Sandra

4. Pingback: 13 Simple Halloween Sewing Projects For Beginners! - It's Just Sewing

5. Pingback: Twenty-Five Easy Pumpkin Crafts for Anyone to Make

6. Christene vaughn says:

Where do you get the life like stems?? I always use corks or covered wire

Hi Christene, I have several sources. When I need them in a hurry, I order them via Amazon, etsy and e-bay. If you search these sites, you should be able to find several sources for dried, pumpkin stems. I now know to save my stems from my pumpkins, so I’ll have stems ready to go the following year.

I’ve also found stems at garden centers, where they’ve fallen off the pumpkins. I’ve purchased leftover (and highly discounted) pumpkins in December, just for the stems. I’ve been known to dig around in the big boxes of pumpkins found in front of big box stores, looking for orphan stems. (After asking permission, of course.)

Your idea to use corks or covered wire sounds great, too. I hope you’ll share photos of your pumpkins!

Happy crafting.

7. Robyn says:

Can’t wait to make! So you use straight pins to pin the fabric into the styrofoam on the top and bottom? ?

8. Karen Thomas says:

These are awesome and easy loving it….

🙂 They are super easy, Karen, and I love easy! I made a few more using different fabrics and I’ll share them later this month — changing up the fabric can create a really different look, so use what you like. Happy crafting! Sharon

9. oh my goodness I love them all!!! Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Thing blog hop. Pinned xo

10. gigipoo says:

Brilliant!!! This is my kind of sewing craft!

11. R L MCKEE says:

Where do you pumpkin stem?

A couple of places. I had some leftover from last year’s pumpkins, and ordered a few from Amazon. You can also ask at your local garden center or pumpkin patch and they may have a stash. And remember to save the stems from this year’s pumpkins! Thanks for stopping in. Sharon

12. macjam47 says:

These are darling. They remind me of the Christmas ornaments I made years ago using styrofoam balls and Christmas fabrics. They looked like patchwork quilts.

13. Pingback: Tutorial: No-sew patchwork pumpkins – Sewing

14. Pretty!! I’ve got a Craft Gossip post scheduled for this afternoon that links to your tutorial:
    –Anne

Thank you so much, Anne! I’m excited to share these with your readers, and I bet most of them have a stash they can use to DIY these pumpkins. Thanks again for the share. Sharon

15. Pingback: Talented Tuesday Link Party #49 - Aspen Jay

16. Pingback: Talented Tuesday Link Party #49 | Crafty Staci

17. Wow! What a fun project! I absolutely love the fun fabric you chose! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Talented Tuesdays!

18. Angie says:

Pumpkins are great for autumn decorations, Halloween, and even Thanksgiving!

19. Okay this is amazing. Thank you for the tutorial! I saw some similar pumpkins at some fancy store over the weekend for $40! No thanks I’ll make them 🙂 thank you!

Aww, thank you! I’m so glad you like them. I had a lot of fun with these and I didn’t spend close to $40! I’d love to see your Patchwork Pumpkins — please share a photo on our Facebook page. Happy crafting. Sharon

20. jenclair says:

Lovely! Thanks for sharing!

Love these pumpkins and they sound so easy to make – thanks for sharing.

Congrats ladies!!! thanks Sharon for the candy corn crafts. I’m looking forward to the adorable snowmen ideas… I know we just started Autumn but I can’t wait till Winter. This Florida heat is annoying after a while. 😦

You are so welcome, and thank you for always following along. I can’t say that I’m super eager to put up any snowmen, that season will be here soon enough! (I was just reviewing the calendar, and I believe I have my first snowman craft planned for early December . . .) Here’s hoping you have cooler weather soon! Sharon

Love the pumpkins. I will have to see if any of my squash have the stem left on.
    Great tut! 🙂 Happy Fall!

Thanks, these were so fun to make, Lisa. I also scouted grapevines and such in the woods for the stems, but decided to go with the real thing. Maybe next year I’ll use the alternative stems . . . one idea leads to another, right? Sharon

24. WOOOOO HOOOOO! Looking forward to getting my hands on this magazine! LOVE the orange and aqua color combination ! I think I am going to have to make a few cards using it!!! Great pumpkins! TFS!

Glad there’s another fan of orange + aqua. It just seems so fresh, doesn’t it? I’m sure your cards will be pretty, too. Enjoy the magazine, and thank you for following along, Barb. Sharon