I love mosaics, but I’ve not yet tried to make my own. And I have no excuse – making a 3-D mosaic is as easy as this five-step tutorial. How pretty would these mosaic eggs, cone or even a tile mosaic garden ball be in my garden? I bet you feel the same way, so I’m sharing this easy tutorial today so you can make a mosaic for your garden. Of course, these look beautiful indoors, too.
To make a Tile Mosaic, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 12” cone; 4” egg (balls would work, too)
- Ceramic tile: Sheets of 3/8” squares in colors of your choice
- Latex ceramic tile adhesive
- Grout in color of your choice (Kathleen used white)
- Acrylic floor wax
- Tools needed: Tile nippers; palette knife; rubber spatula; disposable gloves; lint-free cloth; old rag
To make a Tile Mosaic:
Create the filler tiles first. Using tile nippers, cut a handful of tiles in each color in half lengthwise and diagonally.
- With the palette knife, spread tile adhesive 1/8” thick on your foam cone, egg, or other shape. Firmly press tiles into the adhesive, with 1/8″ – ¼” space between each tile. Use the filler pieces you made in Step 1 to fill in gaps and small areas. Let the adhesive dry.
- Following the manufacturer’s instructions, mix the grout. Use a spatula to apply the grout to your mosaic, and firmly work the grout into all of the grooves and gaps. As you work, use a damp cloth to wipe excess grout from the tiles.
- Let the piece sit for 30 minutes, and then use a lint-free cloth to rub all traces of grout from the tiles. Let the grout dry for 24 hours.
- Seal with floor wax.
You can change the look of your mosaic when you use different kinds of tile. Kathleen made these Venetian Glass Mosaic Eggs using glass tiles instead of ceramic.
Use small stone tiles, like these Stone Mosaic Garden Balls, for a more organic, natural style.
Or, forgo tiles all together and make a Pebble Mosaic Garden Ball.
Did you notice that Kathleen George designed all of these mosaics? She is a master of mosaics! A few years ago, I had a chance to meet Kathleen and she showed me this gorgeous mosaic she made for her terrace. I am in awe of her talents!
Have you made a mosaic? Share your story, please. I need to overcome my mosaic phobia and make my own!