If you have kids, you’ve probably heard of Minecraft. In fact, you’ve probably heard of Minecraft even if you don’t have kids! This crazy popular video game let’s kids create worlds using cubes as building blocks. Making a Minecraft Pencil Cube is one way to entice your little gamers to step away from the screen for real world, hands-on creating.
To make a Minecraft Pencil Cube, you’ll need:
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 4″ cube
- Grommets, nine, sized to fit a pencil
- Foamie sheets in black, light brown, dark brown, white and blue (or other colors of your choice)
- Cardstock, 4” x 4” in brown
- Thick, white craft glue
- Tools needed: Scissors; ruler; indelible maker; Philips head screw driver
To make a Minecraft Pencil Cube:
1. Using the ruler and marker, measure and mark off nine holes in a grid pattern on the center top of the foam cube. Using the point of a Phillips head screwdriver, make a hole at each mark that’s large enough for a pencil to slip in and out easily.
2. Glue a 4” square of cardstock onto the top of the cube, covering the holes.
3. Find the holes with your fingertip, and insert the Philips head screw driver into the holes. Glue a large grommet over each hole.
4. Cut the foamie sheets into ½” strips, and cut the strips into ½” squares.
5. Glue the squares onto the sides of the pencil cube. Follow the photo to make a face, or create a Minecraft design of your own.
Is anyone in your household obsessed with Minecraft?
See you tomorrow with another fun one for the kiddos.