Kid’s Craft Idea: DIY a Minecraft Pencil Cube

If you have kids, you’ve probably heard of Minecraft. In fact, you’ve probably heard of Minecraft even if you don’t have kids! This crazy popular video game let’s kids create worlds using cubes as building blocks. Making a Minecraft Pencil Cube is one way to entice your little gamers to step away from the screen for real world, hands-on creating.

Cute Minecraft craft! It's on the summer to-do list with the kiddos. CraftsnCoffee.com.

Minecraft Pencil Cube by Kathleen George.

To make a Minecraft Pencil Cube, you’ll need:

• STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam: 4″ cube
  • Grommets, nine, sized to fit a pencil
  • Foamie sheets in black, light brown, dark brown, white and blue (or other colors of your choice)
  • Cardstock, 4” x 4” in brown
  • Thick, white craft glue
  • Tools needed: Scissors; ruler; indelible maker; Philips head screw driver

To make a Minecraft Pencil Cube:

1. Using the ruler and marker, measure and mark off nine holes in a grid pattern on the center top of the foam cube. Using the point of a Phillips head screwdriver, make a hole at each mark that’s large enough for a pencil to slip in and out easily.

2. Glue a 4” square of cardstock onto the top of the cube, covering the holes.

3. Find the holes with your fingertip, and insert the Philips head screw driver into the holes. Glue a large grommet over each hole.

4. Cut the foamie sheets into ½” strips, and cut the strips into ½” squares.

DIY a Minecraft Pencil Cube! Brilliant idea, and a way to get the kids to step away from their screens this summer! CraftsnCoffee.com.

Encourage the kids to create their own scene with the squares.

5. Glue the squares onto the sides of the pencil cube. Follow the photo to make a face, or create a Minecraft design of your own.

Is anyone in your household obsessed with Minecraft?

See you tomorrow with another fun one for the kiddos.

Happy crafting.

This entry was posted in Craft Tutorial, Kid's Crafts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Kid’s Craft Idea: DIY a Minecraft Pencil Cube

1. Sheila Barber says:

Awesome idea!!! My six year old is planning for his Minecraft Birthday in October. Thank you!

2. Pingback: 25 Minecraft Projects for Kids | Make and Takes

3. Pingback: DIY a Minecraft Pencil Cube – Lesson Plans

4. Pingback: DIY Minecraft Pencil Cube

5. Nobody in my family is into Minecraft. Hubby and I aren’t video game players and our son (25) is into the shoot to kill video games unfortunately. Hate them with a passion. Too much violence in the world today even cartoons have gotten into the act. Maybe if we went back to simpler times the world would be more people friendly again! HAH! Like that will happen. In the meantime I will continue to try to make my little world a friendlier place to be and try to help others realize that a smile can go a lot further than a cruel word!
    Cute pencil cube though!

If every child had a chance to create every day, wouldn’t that be wonderful? I know that you share your love of crafts with your grandkids — kudos to you! One step at a time, right? Happy crafting, Barb. Sharon

• Yes! I am hoping to be able to work with the local elementary school next school year in the after school craft program to be able to spread the creative bug! My three year old granddaughter is so into creating already and I LOVE it!! We spend many happy hours in my Craft Oasis just creating things or even just sitting and talking about life! At least as much as a three year old can talk about life! LOL I wouldn’t change it for anything in the world!

How wonderful, thank you for spreading the crafty love. Your local school is so fortunate to have you, and I bet they really appreciate you, too. The kids will love all of the creative fun you share. Keep me posted on how it goes. I hope you have a crafty session scheduled soon with your granddaughter! Sharon

6. TwoPlusCute says:

I really wish you had more photos with the step by step instructions. And photos from all sides. This is one of the best minecraft heads I have ever seen and I will pin it. Can you please update with more photos?

You might say it’s for kids but, I assure you there are a lot of adults that would love to make this. Like me. It would be a nice gift for hubby. 🙂

Thank you! You’re right, I bet a lot of adults would love this, and it sounds like you’re a Minecraft fan, too. Unfortunately, I don’t always have a lot of step-out photos, because I share projects made by a team of designers. Some take interim photos and some do not. When I create something for the blog, I try to include step-out photos. Thanks so much for stopping in. Sharon

My son’s last birthday was Minecraft. I made a lot of the decorations myself using boxes. This is a really cool craft.

8. Angie F says:

I love this idea. Minecraft is huge at our household! It would be fun to do this just as decoration for a kids room too!

🙂 It adds another “dimension” to the video game, doesn’t it? I can totally see making these to decorate a kid’s bedroom. You could build a tower or pyramid from the cubes. Your Minecraft fans would love it! Thanks, Angie. Sharon

That is too funny. My youngest is out on Summer break and she had to show me her mine craft house and animals this morning. I will have to show her this one. Thanks. 🙂

How cute! Let me know what she thinks of the Minecraft Pencil Cube — it would be great to hear her feedback. I hope she wants to DIY her own. Sharon